Concentrated Cuteness

Pay attention now: You’re about to learn how cuteness can help you concentrate oh look a butterfly I really like my hair this way and I said pay attention! According to research cited in Forbes and The Wall Street Journal, looking at pictures of baby animals may improve concentration and focus.

Let’s do our own research: Concentrate on this picture, then scroll down.

Photo via Reddit.

Comments

1. Oh wait! I take back my vote! Is that 2 more itty bitty ones right in front???

2. I thought it was a trick question… I thought I saw three llamas! And before you judge, llamas are camelids! :-P

3. Omg, I just read the articles in teh links, and it’s true! Now I have an excuse for my frequent CO breaks during work! :) :)

4. CO does not load properly on my work computer for some reason :(

5. itteh bittehs!

6. 260Oakley says:

Camel Lites

7. My question for the “experts”, how can CUTE NOT help in job performance????????
    I cannot make it through a day at work without CO…it helps me tremendously!! Staying focused of course on the important things in life….like more cute animals and great story lines!!

8. Obviously the theory is not true, since almost half of us didn’t notice the babies the first time through.

9. I remember seeing a similar truck from the train window as we headed south from Cairo to Aswan on my Egypt trip. My guide came into my train cabin to find out why I was laughing so hysterically. All you could see was camel heads over the side of the truck. And bebbeh camels!!!!!11!!!!!! I lof them.

10. Yes it is! And Elvis, too! (Okay, maybe not Elvis.)

11. Hey, I totally posted about this (the article, not the camels) in one of the comments sections last week! Yay me!

Also, OMG TINY CAMELS!!!1!!11!!!!!!!1!!

12. patchesmom says:

CO is TOTALLY necessary for getting through the day at work. Guilt-free stress reliever and endorphin releaser. It has been saving my (work) life for years!

13. Told ya we need a kawaii tag:
    Such is the “Power of Kawaii”, as a paper documenting the research is appropriately titled. The Japanese word “kawaii” means cute.

14. Hilarious-potamus

15. they’re in a Camel Tow truck

16. tracylee invites us into the Snickering Lounge with a good one!

17. CO is essential to well-being, like water and air. At least to me.

Having said that, I think the handsome (pretty?) white camelid to the right, behind the adorable behbehs, is a dromedary, not a camel. Only one hump, dontcha know…

18. C.O. is better than Iburophen to relive my work related stress headache!

19. Yes, you are correct that they are dromedary camels, as opposed to bactrian camels (2-hump), but they’re all camels. Llamas and their South American cousins are all in the camel family, too. Saying dromedaries are not camels is like saying a collie is “not a dog, it’s a collie”.

20. Blue Footed Booby says:

It seems like this study pretty much confirms the theory that cuteness is a matter of triggering the “it’s a baby” response by demonstrating the triggering of the associated “-so I must be careful” instinct. This seems like kind of a big deal as far as evolutionary psychology goes.

21. skippymom says:

I don’t get it. ??

22. camel toe…

23. A Japanese study proved looking at cute animals increases work productivity.

24. As i just noticed was mentioned in the header.Please continue.

25. Mary (the first) says:

Dang it, I missed the two bebehs also! I want a re-vote!

26. Captain Picard says:

THERE! ARE! FOUR CAMELS!

27. lisaLassie says:

Ha, peeple, you have all been tricked by NTMTOM and his tricky trick question and quiz. I shall elucidate. Ahem. In his preamble to the consticuteshun, he says “… looking at pictures of BABYanimals…”. But there are only 2 bebbehs and the smallest number you can vote for is 4 camels. When the correct answer should be two (babies). Thank you.

28. That’s exactly what I saw: 4 llamas.

29. CO has been a life-saver to my co-workers on many occasions!! I believe NTMTOM is responsible for saving the life of the sexist tool at my current office over a dozen times! Thanks, Mike!

30. Whuh? I’m sorry, I wasn’t concentrating — you were saying something about a sex tool?

31. I knew someone would post this eventually. :D

32. skippymom says:

Um…OK. I still don’t get it, but I must just be dense.

33. skippymom: camel toe has a couple of meanings, the literal one and one that has a more salacious meaning (think when a lady wears pants too tight and you’re looking at her from the front and her lady parts are evident), hence the snickering.

34. Hitching a ride on a tow truck? Did the camel family’s SUV breakdown?

35. phred's mom says:

Who cares what the job market is! Change jobs,
    ferhevvinssake! That is simply unacceptable.
    Also call OSHA.

36. phred's mom says:

Maru will now reach unprecedented heights
    of popularity.

37. This is up there with trying to explain non-glass blowing glory holes to my mother.

38. Fird Birfle says:

or, alternatively, why couldn’t some of the camels ride on the other camels??

39. Fird Birfle says:

And imagine!!! Captain Picard came by to do that!

40. Fird Birfle says:

8-O

*snerk*

Mike “wasn’t concentrating”??? I see what you did there….

41. Fird Birfle says:

I CONCUR RE Tiny Camels!!!!11!!!!111!!!

42. Fird Birfle says:

erp???

43. Fird Birfle says:

also toe truck = tow truck …

44. skippymom says:

trixandsam: um, thanks for asplaining. EWWW. I’d not heard that one before.
    Happy birthday!

45. rescue gal says:

Why in the truck? Where are they going??

46. heh… awkward conversations for the win

47. kibblenibble says:

Once I was watching Revenge of the Nerds with my mom, and she asked me what “hair pie” was. I might end up in the mod lounge for this… Here goes… *holds breath, clicks post comment button…*

48. I know, right? I have the CO calendar right next to my monitor, though. It gets me through the day.

49. Lor we’re nerds.

50. That’s what I’d like to know. I’m sure they’re not pets but maybe people drive camels around like dogs.

51. victoreia says:

*snicker*

52. victoreia says:

Pedant!

53. Yep :D

54. I see three pushmepullyous…

55. damn.. How cud i miss the lil ones in the frontttt

56. They could be going to camel races, or to a camel show, or to a new owner. Light color adds to a camel’s value, so that’s some very valuable cargo there.

57. That doesn’t look like a tow truck. I may be wrong, but camels are notoriously suspicious and strenuously object to anything that makes them nervous – like steep or narrow ramps. The easiest and safest way to get them into and out of a truck when there’s no nice stable loading dock is to hoist them in a sling.

58. Veggie mom says:

To your MOTHER? (Singsong voice) Awkwaaard!

59. lisaLassie says:

Why thank you for the lovely compliment.

60. phred's mom says:

Mebbe to a camel market. They would fetch many dirham,
    my friend.