Unger & Schoep, Revisited

People, you might recall Unger & Schoep.

It wuz a big story all over the Intertubes about how the hoomin Unger helped out the doggeh Schoep by taking him to the lake to warm him up cuz Schoepster wasn’t feelin’ so good.

We’re happeh to update this story! In a Yahoo News story, Mr. Unger says that the Schoep Legacy Foundation has raised more than $25,000 so far..and the vet who treated Schoep says the money raised could help “another 30 or 40 Schoeps.”

Cute Overload also got ahold of Julie, Schoep’s PR Hoomin, who tells us Schoep’s donations “have allowed for weekly laser treatments, which he continues to receive; treatment also includes pain med, joint and muscle supplement and weekly monitoring by vet. Schoep has received donations like a Tempur Pedic Doggeh Bed and an elevated doggeh bowl which have really helped improve quality of life.”

Here’s the best part, folks:

Julie adds, “since receiving treatment he is more active, alert, flexible, happy. He walks better, sleeps through the night now, and wags his tail with more vigor! On his walks, he was actually trotting!”

He’s trotting!! Go, Schoep, go!!!

Lead photo by Stonehouse Photo, second photo by John Unger, n’ all others from their FB page! Wanna buy Schoep Stuff? Sure you do!

In closing, People- remember: Share The Love.

Comments

1. This man deserves more than just a nomination to the Men of C.O. calendar- he gets a whole statue.

2. I guess his statue could go right next to the team of guys who went into the mountains and rescued Lucky Missy. I would also like to know if anyone is working on cloning these men……..?

3. [Sniff] Too many onions around here. [Sniff] And my allergies are acting up too.

4. I only wish every human and animal could love and be loved like this.

5. Love love love this man. And Schoep is smiling again! This guy deserves a medal.
    I know it won’t last forever, but he’s been given a new lease on life through the power of his daddy’s love.

6. He literally looks like another dog. look at how he’s standing, it’s not as hunched or straight legged.

GO Unger & Schoep!!

7. If we could only be this kind to a lonely elderly person that lives next door or on the next street. Maybe we can start a spinoff of CO. Called Cute Old People, COP. There are some cute ones out there, along with some darling rascally rabbits.

8. that is such wonderful news!

9. If I wasn’t already married I scoop-up that guy in a New York minute!

10. phred's mom says:

Great idea! Start immediately, time’s awastin’.

11. Fird Birfle says:

I SUSPECT THAT THE ADMIN DEPT of CO are *gasp* SENTIMENTAL TYPES!!!!

12. Mary (the first) says:

(sniff) funny but I seem to have onions and allergies, too! (sniff)

13. Mary (the first) says:

Being an Old Person, I’m all for it! But how do I get the “cute” designation?

14. Wear a cat as a hat and a dog as lap accessory. People will get confused where the animals end and the human begins, and just assume it’s one furry thingamagig

15. sabrina rose says:

Oh yes. YES INDEEDY!!! (bet there’s lots of us in line)

16. oh love! you can see the adoration in both dog and human

this is my human. there are many like him, but this one is mine.

17. there’s a bunch of ‘em over here too *sneef*

18. :cry:

19. Jackie Rose says:

Bless Unger and Schoep.

20. Damn onions. Seriously it’s a Pavlovian response at this point.

21. Fird Birfle says:

*hands Theresa a pretty, crocheted white hankie*

22. we can.

(well, except some of the ones with big teeth.)

23. True! Should’ve said I wish every human WOULD! Like the folks here. What a better world it would be!

24. Living on Lake Superior I can assure you he was not taking the dog in the water to warm up… it’s the coldest of all the great lakes ;)

25. Thanks for the update! Weekly laser sounds like snake-oil, so I’m relieved the deserving doggie is feeling better.
    And that first pic is worthy of a Pawlitzer if not a Pulitzer prize.

26. Stressfactor says:

I love that Mr. Unger’s response to getting more money than he needed to treat darling Schoep was to come up with a way to help other aging dogs. And I’m joyed to learn that Schoep has a new leash on life!

27. You betcha!

28. Hello from Paris says:

Share The Love.
    I’ll never forget that. Either for pets and humans beings (well, not all of them) :D

29. That’s just made my dull rainy morning a whole lot brighter! Well done Mr Unger and all the humins who donated ;)

30. bookmonstercats says:

*tries to sneakily jump the queue ahead of Gigi and sabrina*

31. bookmonstercats says:

*also, leaves doppelganger (how do you do those dotty things over the “o”?) in three-times-round-the-circumference-of-the-earth-queue to marry NOMTOM*

32. bookmonstercats says:

In the mod lounge. Anybody done any baking? I’m just back from Newcastle upon Tyne, so feel in the need of a fried Mars Bar ;)

33. I would just love to be able to say that I was just “back from Newcastle upon Tyne.” Sounds so much more lovely than most of the places I go, which are not upon anything.

34. I agree. He used his good fortune to help other doggies in need. Good on ya, Mr. Unger. Your actions represent the best of us.

35. Queue jumpers go back to the end of the line! ;-)

36. Sittin’ in my office, crying like a baby. God bless this man, and I hope Schoep has many more happy, loving days.

37. KIttyMarthaPoo says:

He does. What is most beautiful is to see the tenderness in all his expressions to his faithful pet. Bless them both forever.

38. bookmonstercats says:

It’s a lovely place, upon the River Tyne, of course. Beautiful Northumbrian country. The fried Mars Bars are (I am assured) a myth.

39. Is it just me, or does Schoep look sort of like the velveteen rabbit,old and loved on til he’s rubbed and worn?

40. Profoundly beautiful in all directions.

41. fifthsonata says:

I can’t stop looking at these pictures. The love is so, so visible in these photographs – and that is what is so striking. To see love, something so intangible, visible in a photo….so beautiful.

42. fifthsonata says:

Agreed! Our senior pets deserve the love and care we give to our youthful pets.

43. Janet in NYC says:

This is the best story I have read in months. It makes me smile!

44. Thanks for posting the update CO!!!!!!

This is such a beautiful story. I am going to save the pics to my compooter so I can look at them and feel better after cr*ppy work days.

45. Love how his right ear is always floppin over. Reminds me of Tramp from Lady and the Tramp. Amazing story and amazing relationship.

46. I’m not being randomly negative and this is a very sweet story, but at some point it’s time to let go. This is a very tired dog. He is 19 and that is more than respectable for a dog. I laid to rest (first time ever for me) a 17 year old sick cat earlier this year and it was a very very sad moment, but I would not have pumped her full of medicine, just to have her with me longer and have her suffer in silence.

47. DewiCasGwent says:

I agree We need a special section for Roll of Honour or award the Order of the Qte, even have an award poll every year?

48. MinglesMommy says:

This was one of the most beautiful stories I’ve ever erad, and I’m so happy that things turned out well for all concerned. This animal may not have much time left, but it will be quality time.

49. MinglesMommy says:

It seems that maybe he has a little time left after all. I know how you feel… I have lost three cats in the past three years. I learned the hard way with the first one that it would have been better to let go. But each case is different. Perhaps this isn’t quite this sweet boy’s time yet.

50. DewiCasGwent says:

I thought Deep Fried Mars Bar and deep fried pizza is more Glaswegian Whenthe locla Chippy was run by Scots we even had deep fried Christmas pudding as Christmas special, Newcastle is more Peese Pudding and Stotties

51. Y’all, there are MANY SNIFFLES happening in my cubicle right now. I’m choosing to blame my giant stuffed gorilla, because it couldn’t possibly be me. Except maybe it IS me, because I came straight here from a story about Hope the Wonder Dog (http://www.dfw.com/2012/09/27/687974/hope-rescue-dog-wag-fort-worth.html), one of our local heroes, and oh my goodness. Dogs are just the best, and the people who rescue them and love them are just heroes, and deserve ALL the statues. *sniffle*

52. We should establish The Badger of Honour

53. bookmonstercats says:

Apparently also Geordie, altho’ I never saw it myself. I’ve never deep-fried a christmas pudding – is it good?

54. The Cute Overload Honours List! Who gets to be Queen and tap people’s shoulders with a sword? I nominate new Momma Meg!

55. The original article did point out that at the time the photo was taken, the lake was unseasonably and unusually warm.

56. I mostly agree, but in this case, where it seems the treatment really is effective and helping him to be happy and comfortable, I don’t think it’s just a matter of not being able to let him go. They aren’t pumping him full of medicine simply to keep him from dying.

57. DewiCasGwent says:

I never tried it actually you had to win it as part of the shops Christmas Dinner compitition

58. DewiCasGwent says:

It has to be Meg but a giving the accolade (dubbing are the expression for the sholder tapping) with a sword isn’t that cute, tickling each shoulder with a kittens/puppy/squirell tail ( still attached to the living animal of course)

59. How wonderful the dog is feeling better and his owner has some more time with his beloved dog. He is an old dog, but he obviously isn’t ready to go yet.

60. He has arthritis he isn’t sick, they are simply treating the pain. If you read earlier articles the original picture was taken because he was getting ready to say goodbye to his friend because he couldn’t afford treatments/meds. Luckily his photo so touched people that now he can afford the treatments. . Go check out the pics of the dog on Facebook, he’s happy and not suffering.

61. Dear Schoepp, i could only spare five bucks. Not “bragging.” I want you to get time in a hot tub.

62. Stressfactor says:

And that’s the thing. I was always taught that it’s when an ani-pal is truly suffering that it’s time to let them go. If you read the Yahoo article you see that Schoep is eating well now, has gained back lost weight, is sleeping through the night, and is trotting and wagging his tail on their walks. So it sounds like he’s no longer suffering so much and if Schoep himself wanted to go he would express this by refusing to eat. That’s what happened to an old toy poodle my family used to have. She wasn’t really sick and she was only a bit arthritic but one day she just decided to wanted to go and she stopped eating. At first we tried to feed her nutritional supplements and we took her to the vet but nothing worked so we eventually listened to what she was telling us and let her go.

63. This is a beautiful story of a human who cares deeply about his dog and other people sharing their kindness… love it!

64. hahah you betcha, do I spot a fellow yoop?!

65. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

I’m blaming the spicy noodles I had for lunch.

And this series of pictures.

Baroo-sniff. ♥

66. For me, this is the feel good story of the year. I have no doubt that Mr. Unger will know when it’s time to let his boy go, but until then, they are together and they are happy. That’s pretty much all I need to know.

67. Hear, hear.

68. Hope The Wonder Dog is an amazing story. It’s hard to cry and want revenge at the same time. So crying and loving is my choice.

69. But then we wouldn’t need our pets and then we wouldn’t need–HORRORS!–CuteOverload! They’re here to remind us not to slack off and too stay compassionate.

70. That makes sense, but in more than one article I have read about this, it’s been mentioned that LS is warmer than usual this summer, so that must have something to do with eet.

71. Also, Lake Superior is a big lake…there are certain parts with inlets that are warmer. I prefer to think that this dear man has a huge heart. By the way, he said it was the buoncy (spellling) that helped his joints.

72. You can really see the difference in his expression between the first picture and the last. You can see the pain in his eyes in the first one, but in the last, he is happy and relaxed.

73. My first loyalty is still to NTMTOM but Unger’s looking pretty good.

74. I’m touched and moved to tears. What we do for our animals is endless and what they do for us is priceless.

75. smartyboots says:

I’d like to give a shout out here to the wonderful people in the world who provide physical therapy for animals. The therapists care so much about the animals they treat, and I know it’s physically demanding work that does not pay nearly enough. My 7 year old dog gets regular PT at a wonderful local clinic and in conjunction with a home therapy regiment it’s significantly slowed the progression of her recent mobility issues. I’m so grateful to her therapists for their hard work and guidance.

My local animal rehab facility even has a non profit fund that underwrites the cost of therapy for active and retired police and military K9 units, shelter pets that need rehab to be adoptable, pets from low income households, and assistance animals.

BTW, a cat walking on a hydrotherapy treadmill is a sight to behold!

76. If men only knew that the way to a woman’s heart is by truly, deeply caring for his dog.

77. DewiCasGwent says:

With windows 8 If you have num lock on and hold alt down and type 148 on the number pad you get ö It is very useful way as can type accents and things like ®©¥±°

78. Tammy Delbruegge says:

i want one…of the men that is! i have my hands full with my 4 cats!