THIS JUST IN: Rented Legs

The Bronx Zoo recently unveiled a baby flamingo chick, and their lucky video camera was there to capture its awkward first attempts to stand. Wh-whoa!

FaveFrame™!

More details at The Gothamist.

Comments

1. I love the backwards facing knees. I know they’re not really knees, but I like to pretend. :P

2. They’re not knees, they’re seenk.

3. we knew that……

4. d: ˙ʇno ʇɐɥʇ ʇnɔ noʎ ʍou ɥo

5. It’s all fun and games trying to stand up till mom sits on you.

6. After a slightly awkward debut, the young flamingo dancer dissapeared Into the wings.

7. Well of course he had to stand up, his mom kicked him in the behind.

8. I want to dub this with Rod Stewarts “Legs.”

9. :-D

10. Flamingoes have the most beautiful colors… and that flamingette is just adorable!

11. Not ready for the one-legged moves yet.

12. :lol:

13. :( It said that the video was no longer available.

14. It’s working for me.

Did bebeh get cold or something? Momma was encouraging the little one to stand and then SMOOSH!

15. Fird Birfle says:

OK peeps. MY question ees thees: ees there a raison, why the bebbeh bird’s eyeball is mooch mooch larger een diametere…..then the eyeball uv the mama bird ???

Signed,
    Enquiring Mind

PS: Los birdies son pretty.

16. Fird Birfle says:

PS: you can see both examples, in the beginning of the video segment.

17. Fird Birfle says:

re. the comment above timed 5:51 on September 17th,
    that comment was actually submitted by Jack Benny, not from Theresa!!

Signed,
    Livingston

18. I’m a little teary here! Me and the other flamingos all watching for little bebbeh birdie to stand, and mom prodding the bebbeh on… Musta been a long hard day at work ‘sniff

19. The bebbeh has to grow into his eyeball….that is all.

20. S’good that they gave the wee one some little training legs to start with. Imagine trying to start with the big stilts that mama has!!!

21. *giggles hysterically*

22. had to laugh at the end, poor baby’s still trying to stand when all of a sudden WHOMP, mum plonks herself back down on top of him/her….

23. Awwww, poor behbeh boid. You did your best, now chillax and try again later.

Also, nice butthole. Once you see it…

24. By “nice” I mean “I notice.” It’s not that I have a thing for animal anuses, or any anuses, really.

25. musicfoodbeerbikes says:

What? No love for the stubbular wings?!?

26. Love the encouragement for the parent (could be either both sit on the nest). Then the end, mom/dad was all “bedtime – NOW”

27. I see that knobularity begins at birth. :) Also, aren’t mommies just the best things ever?!

28. Thank you for sharing. :)

29. Yes. Apparently those shovel shaped beaks on the adults are intended to be used to scoop up babies.

30. It’s an important distinction!

31. I totally love the wing stubs!

32. Fird Birfle says:

ok!!

33. Fird Birfle says:

;)

34. You know, 260Oakley, you’re starting to scare me.

35. Actually, it’s the ADULT standing up (0:13) that makes me go WHOOOOAAAAA!!! Those legs just go on FOREVER.

36. At the end, I can imagine the kid going mfffmmfff…mmfffmmm….(translation: Mom, I was trying to stand there!).

37. Clairdelune says:

Oakley, you’re much too clever by far!! If you’re not making money with the written word, you should. =)

38. Clairdelune says:

Ouch, Theresa!!!

39. My fave frame is around the one minute mark when little flamingetti is looking at his wobbly feet, all “I think I’ve got these weird bony things in the right place” and then whoomp!

40. Will pun for food. ;)

41. Wing nuggets.