A Warm Welcome to the Spiney Lumpsucker!

We had never heard of this type of fish before either! But thanks to their blorp-tastic bods, paw-like appendages, and “party hats” THEY’VE ATTRACTED OUR ATTEN-SHONS and MADE IT ONTO CUTE OVERLOAD!

Via Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Facebookersons.

1. AlbertaGirl says:

“The Spiny Lumpsuckers” would be a great name for a rock band.

2. It would also be a perfect fit for the Shakespeare Insult Kit, methinks.

3. It IS the name of MY band. :P

4. Can I join? I have no musical ability whatsoever, but I can make an amazing variety of noise!

5. Of course! Would you be interested in banging, crashing or caterwauling? :P

6. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Cowbell, of course!

7. Do you need a croaky soprano? I’m available!

8. I also like the little fan-like hoverfins. Buoyant blorp!

9. So adorable. I didn’t think fish could be adorable until cuteoverload. Except for puffer fish. I love those little guys.

I’ll be the first to say it. No Blorp tag? We needs one. Stat!

10. The Original Jane says:

No fair! We were at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in May (parts of two days, no less) and never saw this little guy! Hmpf – there is a very disapproving look on my face right now.

11. They’re in a little tank… easy to miss, but adorable to watch if you spot ’em!

12. The Original Jane says:

I thought we looked everywhere. Loved the jellies exhibit!

13. But did you see the shatteringly cute otterses? It’s easy to forget everything when looking at otterses.

14. The Original Jane says:

Oh yeah. Spent some time there for sure! :)

15. Could it be….are you a rabbit?

16. *giggle*

17. Serr lermperrr!

18. Ermehrgerhd, ehr yehr kehrdding mehr?

19. Awww @ its little mouth

20. Wait a minute—Meg posted this? Didn’t she just birth twinsies? Goodness, what a slave to duty…

21. What?? Our dear Meg is a new mom?? How did I miss this?? Congratulations Meg!!!

22. She is clearly very devoted to teh Qte!

23. Aw! He’s blorptabulous! And he looks so friendly with that little fishy smile. (-:

24. They have adhesive pelvic disks! Which they will demonstrate for you if you ask nicely– see this pic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Toad_and_spiny_lumpsuckers.jpg
    Evidently they evolved this appendage so that they can be worn as brooches to the fancy parties — hence the party hats!

25. The words “adhesive pelvic discs” have a faintly unsavory sound together. 8O

26. And yet using said adhesive pelvic disks to festoon ones self with spiny lumpsuckers would be quite festive!

27. “The Spiny Lumpsucker: When Gecko earrings and Live Crab nipple clamps are not enough.”

28. kibblenibble says:

29. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

They are FEEEESH with SUCTION CUPS, People!! :D

31. Fird Birfle says:

guud sownd fx, Theresa :)

32. “Adhesive Pelvic Disks” Seriously. I learn the most unusual tidbits here on CO!!

33. 8-O

34. Fird Birfle says:

ditto moi. 8-O

35. I love their expressions as they hang by their adhesive pelvic disks in the picture. They seem to be saying, “Oh, hello. We’re just hanging out here by our adhesive pelvic disks. You?”

36. How did they get that name? Spiny I can understand just looking at them but Lumpsuckers? A sucker of lumps? What lumps? Who’s lumps?

37. Lovely spiny lumps? I think the Black-Eyed Peas song could by modified quite nicely.

38. err, make that “BE modified”…

39. I really didn’t want to start thinking this. That way lies lumpy madness. 8O

40. Oh no, now you’ve got me started. What is it that’s spiny? Is it the lumps that are spiny? Or the suckers? Where are the suckers anyway? Could they be Lumpy Spinesuckers? :roll:

41. Yes Lumpy Spinesucker wearing seersucker suits!

42. Oh noes! Slimy Suckspiners in Lumpy Seams!

43. Blimey! Spleenbucklers in Sticky Boots!

44. phred's mom says:

Had to happen… Mod Lounge. Again. *sigh*

45. phred's mom says:

Howcum none of you folks is in the Mod Lounge when
    all I have to do is speak of an infant canine and WHOOSH!
    there I am!?!? So unfair.

46. we’d be pretty hosed if “puppy” were a trigger word.

47. (wipes diet pepsi from monitor)

48. Bleeny Potstickers in Lumpy Dumplings?

49. I dub thee, the Sea Gronkle

50. Fird Birfle says:

a most-excellent matchingks.

51. Well, goodness gracious. I was watching the new series today and didn’t even realize that the little guy does look like a Gronkle.

52. osnapitzabi says: