A Warm Welcome to the Spiney Lumpsucker!

We had never heard of this type of fish before either! But thanks to their blorp-tastic bods, paw-like appendages, and “party hats” THEY’VE ATTRACTED OUR ATTEN-SHONS and MADE IT ONTO CUTE OVERLOAD!

Via Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Facebookersons.

Comments

1. AlbertaGirl says:

“The Spiny Lumpsuckers” would be a great name for a rock band.

2. It IS the name of MY band. :P

3. I also like the little fan-like hoverfins. Buoyant blorp!

4. So adorable. I didn’t think fish could be adorable until cuteoverload. Except for puffer fish. I love those little guys.

I’ll be the first to say it. No Blorp tag? We needs one. Stat!

5. The Original Jane says:

No fair! We were at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in May (parts of two days, no less) and never saw this little guy! Hmpf – there is a very disapproving look on my face right now.

6. Could it be….are you a rabbit?

7. Serr lermperrr!

8. Awww @ its little mouth

9. Wait a minute—Meg posted this? Didn’t she just birth twinsies? Goodness, what a slave to duty…

10. *giggle*

11. She is clearly very devoted to teh Qte!

12. Aw! He’s blorptabulous! And he looks so friendly with that little fishy smile. (-:

13. Can I join? I have no musical ability whatsoever, but I can make an amazing variety of noise!

14. They have adhesive pelvic disks! Which they will demonstrate for you if you ask nicely– see this pic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Toad_and_spiny_lumpsuckers.jpg
    Evidently they evolved this appendage so that they can be worn as brooches to the fancy parties — hence the party hats!

15. I love their expressions as they hang by their adhesive pelvic disks in the picture. They seem to be saying, “Oh, hello. We’re just hanging out here by our adhesive pelvic disks. You?”

16. 8-O

17. How did they get that name? Spiny I can understand just looking at them but Lumpsuckers? A sucker of lumps? What lumps? Who’s lumps?

18. Of course! Would you be interested in banging, crashing or caterwauling? :P

19. But did you see the shatteringly cute otterses? It’s easy to forget everything when looking at otterses.

20. Ermehrgerhd, ehr yehr kehrdding mehr?

21. “Adhesive Pelvic Disks” Seriously. I learn the most unusual tidbits here on CO!!

22. The words “adhesive pelvic discs” have a faintly unsavory sound together. 8O

23. I really didn’t want to start thinking this. That way lies lumpy madness. 8O

24. Oh no, now you’ve got me started. What is it that’s spiny? Is it the lumps that are spiny? Or the suckers? Where are the suckers anyway? Could they be Lumpy Spinesuckers? :roll:

25. And yet using said adhesive pelvic disks to festoon ones self with spiny lumpsuckers would be quite festive!

26. “The Spiny Lumpsucker: When Gecko earrings and Live Crab nipple clamps are not enough.”

27. They’re in a little tank… easy to miss, but adorable to watch if you spot ‘em!

28. The Original Jane says:

Oh yeah. Spent some time there for sure! :)

29. The Original Jane says:

I thought we looked everywhere. Loved the jellies exhibit!

30. Yes Lumpy Spinesucker wearing seersucker suits!

31. I dub thee, the Sea Gronkle

32. Oh noes! Slimy Suckspiners in Lumpy Seams!

33. Blimey! Spleenbucklers in Sticky Boots!

34. kibblenibble says:

:lol:

35. Fird Birfle says:

ditto moi. 8-O

36. Fird Birfle says:

a most-excellent matchingks.

37. Well, goodness gracious. I was watching the new series today and didn’t even realize that the little guy does look like a Gronkle.

38. (wipes diet pepsi from monitor)

39. phred's mom says:

Howcum none of you folks is in the Mod Lounge when
    all I have to do is speak of an infant canine and WHOOSH!
    there I am!?!? So unfair.

40. phred's mom says:

Had to happen… Mod Lounge. Again. *sigh*

41. It would also be a perfect fit for the Shakespeare Insult Kit, methinks.

42. Lovely spiny lumps? I think the Black-Eyed Peas song could by modified quite nicely.

43. What?? Our dear Meg is a new mom?? How did I miss this?? Congratulations Meg!!!

44. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Cowbell, of course!

45. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

They are FEEEESH with SUCTION CUPS, People!! :D

46. err, make that “BE modified”…

47. *SPLOCK SPLOCK*

48. Bleeny Potstickers in Lumpy Dumplings?

49. Do you need a croaky soprano? I’m available!

50. we’d be pretty hosed if “puppy” were a trigger word.

51. Fird Birfle says:

guud sownd fx, Theresa :)

52. osnapitzabi says: