Never Forget.

Comments

1. Never, ever forget those who sacrificed so much. ♥

2. Animals as well as humans.

3. I will never, EVER forget the innocent people and heros who died 11 years ago today. The world is a different place now. But while we live with the consequences, I refuse to live in fear. I will wave my Canadian flag side-by-next with my American neighbours and hope NEVER AGAIN.

4. I second that Rachael, Always in our hearts.

5. (on behalf of America) thank you, birdcage, that’s a sweet sentiment

6. warm thoughts to those who still suffer the losses

7. As another Canadian I agree completely, Despite the occasional disagreements Americans really are our brothers and sisters. We mourn the fallen and salute the heroes right alongside you.

8. Oh dear, full-blown tears here in my cube first thing in the morning…

9. That is a beautiful picture.
    The first responders who helped us then and continue to do so every day are forever awesome. That includes the search canines. Here is a vid of a dedication ceremony of a statue in NY honoring doggeh first responders and their hoomins.

10. Birdcage and DB, we do thank you. One thing that stands out so clearly in my mind from that day, and the days immediately following, is the outpouring of support we Americans received from all over the world. It was wonderful to feel the love of so many friends and neighbors. There are countless horrific and devastating things I remember from that day. But thanks to folks like you, Birdcage and DB, and all those people who actually came here from all over the globe to help us (that still humbles me), I have *good* memories from that awful day, as well. Allies are one thing… true friends are quite another. ♥

11. SuburbanPrairie says:

Oh, Saffron, thank you so much for posting that! *sniff sniff* What a beautiful tribute to those animals and handlers who worked so hard, and to all the folks who worked those sites. ♥

12. pugletsrule says:

Right there with you ….I just woke up and haven’t even made it to my cube!

13. Courage, love and compassion will always triumph over fear and hate.
    Always.
    That terrible day is etched in our memory – the destruction and senseless violence of it, yes, but also the outpouring of love and the selfless valor of responders and just plain folk who saved coworkers and total strangers.
    I honor the victims by refusing to let hate find root in my heart.
    Qte puppehs help.

14. It makes me so sad that in this day and age there are still people who hate others based on their religion, gender, sexual orientation or race. We’ll we never learn?

15. Amen. I have a bumper sticker on my car that says “God Bless the Whole World. No Exceptions.” I’ve had several people stop and tell me that they liked it.

16. Blue Footed Booby says:

I saw this image and said “Forget what??” Two and a half seconds later I felt like a jerk. I was a freshman in high school in 2001, and it’s easy for me (and I suspect others) to forget that we didn’t always live in a post 9/11 world. It strikes me anew how lucky I am that the worst I have to deal with on a daily basis is bad traffic. Three thousand children, many my age, lost a parent.

At this point I see 9/11 as symbolic of the larger set of problems in the world. Like how Armistice Day became Memorial Day, it would not surprise me if one day 9/11 became a day of remembrance for all the lives lost as a result of fanaticism, authoritarianism, racism, and every other -ism blocking the incremental, sometimes glacially-slow march toward real, lasting peace and freedom for all.

Imagine alllllll the peeeopleeee…..

17. I join tracylee in her thanks, birdcage. Love to Canada from Texas.

18. AMEN and AMEN.

19. Blue Footed Booby says:

I’m a fan of those COEXIST stickers.

20. That was wonderful. Sniff sniff! And I won’t even blame my tears on onions today.

21. Yes! I had one of those on my last car – I was actually looking for another one when I found the one I have now.

22. never forget and never stop bringing the maleficent and negligent to justice

23. *reaches across the border to shake hands*

Thanks, neighbor. We appreciate it very much.

24. God Bless us ALL!!!!!

25. Thanks Canada!!!

26. Mary (the first) says:

*sniff* Anyone who hasn’t seen this and needs a good cry, this is the video about boat evacuation that day. It’s long but so worth watching. No doggehs but some lovely hoomins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18lsxFcDrjo

27. phred's mom says:

Lovely sentiments, well put. Armistice Day became Veterans’ Day,
    Nov. 11, started by commemorating the armistice of WWI. Memorial
    Day is at the end of May. If what you predict comes about, and I think
    you are right, Sept. 11 should become a day to remember those lost
    to terrorism, this would mean we would then have THREE dates on
    which to remember victims of man’s cruelty to man, war being a
    manifestation of that cruelty. Sad that.

28. phred's mom says:

In the Mod Lounge for what?!?!

29. phred's mom says:

I’ve seen this before, and it’s worth seeing over and over.
    This was the day my attitude toward New Yawkers shifted to
    one of admiration. They came through, they were tough,
    they were resilient. The kind of people who you’re glad
    are on our team.

30. Seeing this little guy made my eyes tear up. I wish it didn’t take a tragedy like 9/11 to bring us together in harmony. There is a better way and this little cutie reminds us of it. Take a moment today to remember those lost and remind ourselves to be kind to all.

31. Crazy Pants says:

Thank you all so much (especially Brinke!) for the reminder and kind words. Today, I get to soften the sorrow with the celebration of my dog’s birfday! He’s 3 years old today. While I will never forget the tragedy (I was actually in Canada on Sept. 11th), I can be grateful everyday for love, friendship and the chance to be a better person to every other person. Thank you to the C.O. community for being the best ever.

32. Thanks phred’s mom. We’re not a bad bunch, we New Yorkers. :) And I was and always will be proud of how my hometown handled that awful day and the days after.

33. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Also thank you from Texas. ♥

34. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

If only we would. Coexist, that is.

35. Pogopuschel says:

I’m from germany but I still remember that day completely. I was at a shopping mall to buy some milk I think, and a electronic store had 6 or 7 TV’s in the storefront. I came out of the supermarket and saw a huge crowd watching something. The first plane had just crashed. When I saw what had happened I stood there with the others for 2 hours. Some were crying. I was 14 then. Something changed in the country after that. We may be european, but we see ourselves as brothers and sisters to your people. It’s hard for me to express in english, but we all wanted to be there for you <3

36. (what she said…)

37. Brinke and CO, beautiful post on EVERY level. Thank you.

38. As others have already said above, thank you.

39. I also second that…as a Canuck from Canada, our two nations are close friends and I am thankful that we have such good neighbors….we stand with Americans and people of good will in remembering on this day, that awful moment 11 years ago….and that picture with the puppy is so poignant!

40. Grabs, hugs and snuggles puppy solemnly.

41. Thank you, Pogopuschel. <3

42. Ya. But on a lighter note, could you keep that darn geese up there?

43. I’m an American temporarily living in Canada and I thank you for your kind thoughts today and all days. I hope Americans do not forget the help of your nation on that awful day.

44. Vielen dank, Pogo

Mit liebe,
    tlee

45. I have that plaque that I keep on my desk at work. Thought it would tick off Muslim-haters, but I’ve actually had several positive comments. Happy surprise!!

46. I meant to reply to ceejoe, about “God bless…” Don’t have the coexist thingie.

47. Upside down flag…sign of distress…that it was.

48. That is adorable and just perfect. Just perfect. Lovely.

49. P.S.- My father had a work appt. 1 block from the twin towers that day, he actually saw the 2nd plane hit the building. He said it was the most horrifying scene imaginable and he still recalls it vividly. Bless everyone who was affected that day.

50. I also have never forgotten those poor people lost on 9/11, Birdcage :cry: I also still wave my Canadian flag side-by-next with my American neighbours and hope never again :cry: I have a T-Shirt of the three American firefighters raising the battered American Flag over Ground Zero and I wear it every September 11th which I will continue to wear until it is too worn to wear :cry:

51. *reaches back across the border to shake hands with M.A.*

You are welcome so much, neighbour :)

52. AWW :D You are welcome, Elizabeth Smith :D

53. I don’t think Americans will forget especially those who found themselves in Gander, Newfoundland, Canada and were cared for by the residents there, Lisa :D

54. AWW :cry: Thank you so much for posting this video, Saffron :cry:

55. I was in Vancouer Community College in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada taking a computer course and a classmate told me of a plane hitting the World Trade Center :cry: I thought it was some kind of a very sick joke until he said it was on the TVs at the college :cry: I also saw the second plane hit the other Tower and blurted out “Oh, shoot! (not the word but you get the picture)” :cry: I still can picture that second plane hit the Tower, the plane shaped hole, and the fireball bursting out afterwards :cry: I knew right then and there that anyone who did not get out of those Towers would not live and many could not no matter how hard they tried to escape the fires :cry:

56. Mary (the first) says:

Yes, that story is amazing. Love to all our Canadian neighbors and especially everyone in Gander!

57. Blue Footed Booby says:

Eventually memorial day, MLK day, 9/11, and all the serious holidays merge into one holiday while New Year’s Eve, St. Patricks, and all the boozy days become another. A day to be somber, and a day to party. A day to remember, and a day to forget. From here on out these holidays will alternate and repeat, one after the other, 365. We will call them “today” and “tomorrow.”

58. Fird Birfle says:

*sends huge bunches of wildflower blossoms to both pupfanatic & to Teresa*

59. I had a friend who was actually hit by the propeller of the plane when it fell :( but she survived and still has a scar…and people cry whenever she tells them what happened.

60. I remember being numb and watching the entire footage over the next few days, I was struck by how it looked so much like special effects from a movie, and it just didn’t seem real. I will never forget the conversations with my 4th grade students over the following days as we tried to make sense of this tragedy.
    I “ditto” the heartfelt thank yous above!
    God Bless Everyone. No Exceptions.
    Coexist.