The Arctic Ice Just Melted a Little Faster

Scientists have expressed concerns about the impact of skunk emissions on the environment. One researcher was quoted as saying, “Looks like we’re going to have to stink or swim.” [rim shot]

This pic is out of odor, LUNAR95.

Comments

1. Eye capsules? Check.
    Fluff? Check.
    Spots? Check.
    Beady eyes? Check.
    Nosicle? Check… moisture level unsure, requires more investigation. Please submit the said subject to moi immediately for closer inspection.

2. so adorable!

Or is that “so odorable”?

Booping the nose, and avoiding the other end.

3. “Skunk emissions” *inner ten-year-old snerk*

I didn’t know skunks could have spots. I thought they all had those Pepe Le Pew stripes going down the back.

4. short little legs!

5. Victoria, Mom to 4 Rats says:

Next to rats, skunks are the cutest critters in the world. <3

6. The ice cap is melting and so is my heart. :)

7. What kind of skunk is that? I love the spots. So cute.

8. Gahhhhh! Skunx are already cute. Why do some think they need polka dots to make them a bzillion times cuter?

9. hehe :)

10. The white patches on his little ears remind me of Paulie on the Sopranos…

11. Egad! Who knew baby skunks were do adorbz? Now I want one!

12. Love that strategic stripe on his forehead. Perfect for kissing. If you have a headcold anyway.

13. Pyrit! *said in stern-mother tone of voice* You now owe me a new chair, laptop, and carpet. I just melted into an unholy mess all over the old ones!! Send someone with a teaspoon, or a wet/dry vac or something, would you, pleas? Oh, wait just a minute…I want to scroll back up and do it all over again! :P

14. I saw this video yesterday & was ready to wait patently for it to show up here but NOOOOOO ! Pyrate wouldn’t let me wait . She had to post baby
    Spotty Mc Skunkersons & remind me of this !!!

15. It’s like a troll doll met a skunk, and this is their ultra-cute offspring!

16. “odorable” d’oh! LOL

definitely snorglable, even if stinkable

17. Since I can’t swim, guess I’ll have to take the stink. Woohoo!

18. It’s Paulie Stinknuts.

19. Spotted skunk. One of three species in North America.

20. There are 12 different species of skunks worldwide.

Relevant paragraph:
    ” There are twelve species of Mephitids, which are divided into four genera: Mephitis (the hooded and striped skunks, two species); Spilogale (spotted skunks, four species); Mydaus (stink badgers, two species); and Conepatus (hog-nosed skunks, four species). The two stink badgers in the Mydaus genus inhabit Indonesia and the Philippines; while all other members of the family inhabit the Americas, ranging from Canada to central South America. ”

This little one seems to be a member of one of the 4 species of spotted skunk:
    Spilogale angustifrons – Southern Spotted Skunk
    Spilogale gracilis – Western Spotted Skunk
    Spilogale putorius – Eastern Spotted Skunk
    Spilogale pygmaea – Pygmy Spotted Skunk

21. Alice Shortcake says:

That’s what I love about this site. It’s not only cute, it’s edumacational!

22. I’m in love!

23. Where the expression “stinkin’ cute” came from. Why did nobody ahead of me say this?

24. I have never heard of Spotted Skunks :D Thank you, Laura Lyons Munson, for the information about this little cutie :D

25. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

My dad had pet skunks as a kid.

There are many things I find awesome about my dad, but this is probably at the top of the list.

26. Isn’t “ain’t you a stinker” a Bugs Bunny phrase?

27. The Original Jane says:

Oh how I wish they didn’t smell – it’s hard to notice the cute when you are used to the stank. This guys is adorbs!

28. This is one of the teeniest, cutest, little furrballs I ever did see! It’s just too cute to be true!

29. too stunned, i guess.

30. Ack!!! If only the kitty was black and white, it’d be the PERFECT Pepe Le Pew in real life cartoon! Oh the smothering with kisses!!

31. Different species, but skunky and funky, all the same!

32. Such a cute Spotted Skunk…always wanted to see one, but they are not in Maine

33. I see the troll doll! LOL.

34. He/she looks like a keychain-sized Beanie Baby! *faint*

35. Har!!!

36. OH EM GEE bebeh skonque!!!!! I don’t care how bad his farts smell, I want to cuddle!

(I know they’re not actually farts but you get the idea)

37. Da most prosh bebeh skunkling I’ve ever seen!!! I would not mind him visiting my yard! SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

38. Anyone else think the kitteh might have had leftover dinner on his mug? Some very agressive and determined lickinks going on there! :-)

39. fleurdamour says:

It looks like this photo was taken at the Sears Portrait Studio.

40. That’s our story, and we’re sticking to it!

41. John B Hodges says:

Most veterinarians can do an operation to remove the scent glands. If you get one as a kitten, skunks can make fine pets. I met one once, in Canada, in a clothing shop; he was just nosing around, I squatted down and taptapped my fingernails on the wooden floor, he ambled over to check me out. He was curious and sociable, didn’t mind being petted but wasn’t desperate for it. The owner spoke little English; I asked if the skunk slept in the day or at night, she said he liked people, so he mostly stayed awake when the people did, and slept when the people did. I later met another skunk owner who said her skunk mostly hid in the day and came out at night.

In Blacksburg Virginia, I have seen all three kinds of skunks in town, they have no fear, as the dogs are mostly behind fences or on leashes, and the people mostly have enough sense to leave them alone. The third kind is the hooded skunk, with white fur on top (of head, back, and tail) and black below. If anyone had a hooded skunk as a pet, the obvious name would be “Cupcake”.

42. Zou bisou bisou! Those look more like French nibbles than French kisses! LOL

43. Yep, that was my first thought too. Or the skunk is trying to give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to the little kitteh, since at first it doesn’t move at all. Loved how they played pattycakes later. Well, there goes any chance of being productive today, I’ll be scouting the nearest park for skunks.

44. And also scouring.

45. I think it’s “Ain’t I a stinker?”, as at the end of (spoiler alert) Duck Amuck.

46. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Behbeh skunks are called kittens? Squee. Squee, I say.

47. They don’t stink. YOU may stink after you run into one, but they don’t stink at all!

48. Cute little stinker.

49. That is true, Neo :D A skunk will only spray you if you corner it or scare it, but it takes the poor skunk two hours to recharge their glands where the stinky fluid is stored :( The only other danger from a skunk is if it has Rabies which is a slow and painful way for the poor skunk who has it to die :(