The Old Man and the Seafood

It had been a good catch and there were many fish. The silver scales reflected the glint of the noonday sun and felt rough and flaky against their calloused fingers and I meant the fingers of the men and not the fish because fish don’t have fingers and it had been a good catch but I said that already. A cat watched them. And another. And then another and then another and then yet another and then a still further entirely different yet suspiciously identical other and then there were many cats.

There was a website and its name was Pixdaus and the picture came from there.

Comments

1. WOW!! I’m surprised they’re waiting so patiently….you can tell a few have been copied and photoshopped in but there are still a ton of cats! Can you spot the photobomb??? :)

2. If they clone the fish in Photoshop like they did the cats, they’ll be all set.

3. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Cleverly ‘shopped. But a good one! And for a good cause.

4. Oh Mike. I bet you wrote this while you were driving your ambulance to Pamplona.

5. Love the one looking back at the camera, though.

6. RoadRunner says:

Give a cat a fish, they’ll eat for a day. Teach a cat to fish, they’ll still tell you to go fishing.

7. Those cats are CLONES!!!

8. NTMTOM + Hemingway = major swoonage.

9. The tiniest photobomb. :D

10. Do you know this joke?
    Make a fire for a man and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

11. I like this one:

Give a man a fish and he’ll eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he’ll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

12. I believe that’s famous Internet celebrity Serious Cat.

13. HAHAHAHA! I didn’t even SEE Serious Cat! Thanks for pointing that out!

14. emmberrann says:

NTMTOM! This is another entry for the coffee table book that we *know* you are working on! Please? Pretty please?

15. Oh, NOMTOM, you are truly a genius.

16. The buffet opens at 11:30, guys…..

17. LOL. Not since a picture of a man carrying milk in Peter Jenkins’ “A Walk Across America” have I seen a photo of cats in anticipation of a treat!

18. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Mod Lounged, again. Fer sayin’ nuthin’, Really, you’ll see when they release me. Anyone gonna visit? I have cats. And fish.

19. I’ll buy at least a dozen copies, NTMTOM! Please….?

20. Indeed they are! It took me a while to notice, but I did eventually figure it out. It was the markings on the orange and white one that really cinched it for me.

21. phred's mom says:

why in the werruld am I in the mod lounge?
    No fair!

22. I knew I recognized that cat, but I couldn’t think of the right thing to google to find him!

23. fleurdamour says:

Quite a cat-ch!

24. In his Bronko Nagurski underwear.

25. Fird Birfle says:

I CANNOT MANAGE to bring to words, how much I lurrrrrrrrrve this post, Mike.

To Theresa: I think that Mike’s text as shown above, might be one of the earliest drafts of this author’s manuscript. As it appears above, one might say it is ….
    “refreshingly…. unpolished.” *cough*

26. Sasha's Mum says:

Given the Hemmingway reference, the cats must all be polydactyls. Which means they have limited genetic diversity. Which means they *can* all look alike! So I say ’nuffers be darned, it’s a legit pic!

27. Fird Birfle says:

And who, here, knows WHY “boat” is SPELLED “b”-“o”-“a”-“t”
    (aka “for what four words, do the initials b.o.a.t.. stand??”) ??????

I’ll ck back in Thurs or Fri, here, to see who, besides Theresa, might know this puzzle’s answer …

28. Fird Birfle says:

I think that basically there were two “milkmen” in town, visiting all the fisherwives……

One orange & white and the other guy was a tabbie.

Cue T.U.M. …..

29. Fird Birfle says:

ka-CHING-a

30. Fird Birfle says:

*stamps feet in solidarity w/ phred’s mom*

*pulls out Crayolas and posterboard*

*plays a Pete Seeger union folksong*

31. Fird Birfle says:

“wait, wait”

I’m adjusting my earlier assessment.
    There seems to have also been a tuxedo-d milkman visiting the fisherwives.

So three milkmen in town.

32. Well, if you want higher wages let me tell you what to do
    Got to talk to the workers in the shop with you…

33. Whoops, this was meant to continue Fird Birfle’s Pete Seeger thread…

34. Wait, if fish don’t have fingers, what did I eat the other night with tartar sauce?

35. Hey! I’m in the Mod lounge too! Luckily I was holding a plate of croissants when I stumbled in. Have some, I think there is some apricot jam here somewhere…..

36. I guess this one was taken before all the other ones arrived: http://cslacker.com/images/view/587

37. Thank Terry Pratchett for that one, actually. It’s from his Discworld book “Jingo”, which is brilliant.

38. This post is pure brilliance. I never could stand Hemingway, but I like this.

39. And the fish were good.

40. That was my thought too! Just a hint of photobomb, for flavor!

41. truer words have ne’er been spoken…

42. phred's mom says:

Can I have another chorus of ” Joe Hill”, while we’re
    here in the Lounge? Thank you, Joanie.

43. phred's mom says:

Glad to hear I ‘m not the only Hemingway Hater around. Never could
    get the appeal.

44. AWW :D I hope those poor kitties were given some fish to eat :D

45. I wish I’d seen this picture instead; it’s every bit as funny and not doctored. Now I’m baffled as to why anyone felt the need to add more kitties to this shot (except for Serious Cat; that was clever).

46. :lol:

47. How come whenever i post something, it’s marked for moderation and then i never see it? What’s up with that? I’m about to get ornery…

48. Now that’s funny, I don’t care who you are. Laugh,Sing, Dance!

49. It would have been funnier if they were all sitting in boxes.

Just saying.

50. How about “This Lounges is your Lounge, this Lounge is my Lounge…”

51. Um…shouldn’t that be milkCATS? or maybe milkToms…

52. My friend*s response was *dupli-cats!*

53. True dat.

54. “Marsupials of Unusual Size”? :roll:

55. Happy belated Labor Day, Firdie.

56. Buffalo wings? :P

57. From the Crudités station to the New York Hot dog
    From the red wood deck chairs to the Gulf Stream shrimp balls,
    This Lounge was made for you and Me. :-)

58. FISH FINGERS ARE PEOPLE!!!!! ;-)

59. I like the little photo bomber in the bottom right hand corner!

60. This could totally be Tashirojima in Japan aka “Cat Island”!
    I’ve been there myself. It’s a very small island with more cats than human residents!

61. As I was going to St Ives
    I met a man with seven wives
    Every wife had seven sacks
    Every sack had seven cats
    Every cat had seven kits
    Every kit had seven toes
    Toes, kits, cats, sacks, wives.
    How many were going to Pinkberry?

62. Ha Ha! Wonderful. It’s the fishes you’re supposed to multiply! It’s so cleverly done that I had to take a second look. This is a favorite, for sure!

63. fleurdamour says:

Fish fingers and custard!

64. fleurdamour says:

Infinkitty

65. Oh gersh yes. This makes Hemmingway almost palatable.

66. KAT-ching-a

67. Love tiny photobomb kitteh! :)

A buddy of mine used to enter the Bad Hemingway Contest every year – the winners have nothin’ on you, NOMTOM. You are a master! *wild applause*

68. writtenwyrdd says:

This reminds me of a childhood book: “…hundreds of cats, thousands of cats, millions and billions and trillions of cats. Cats here, cats there, cats and kittens everywhere.”

69. I’m in line too.

70. Tamara, it’s not you, it’s some kind of glitch with the spam filter, and Sharpy is working on it. Happens to me frequently, and I just resign myself to reading the other funny comments. :)

71. Awesome!

72. Here, have some warm chocolate sugar cookies and a glass of fresh, cold milk to wash them down with.

73. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Thanks for the refreshments. I’m still in here, doin’ hard time! What’s a person gotta do to get out?

74. As I was posting an innocent comment
    I got a message that I was grounded
    But I found friends who could share my sorrow
    This Lounge was made for you and me.

75. mauderules says:

Couldn’t agree more, both with NTMTOM’s genius and Hemingway’s lack thereof.

76. Break Out Another Thousand. :)

77. Thank you, WSO50. I was trying to drum up the courage to point out that all the identically-marked cats are also identically-posed, leading up to the dreaded ‘p word’ (Photoshopped), which is kind of like sticking a huge “Kick Me!” sign on your own back . . . but you saved me from that fate.

78. Fird Birfle says:

*hugz BB/VA in solidarity*

79. Fird Birfle says:

wow!!!

80. Fird Birfle says:

ok the CO mainframe (does such a thing still exist??) is having hiccups. I DEFinitely clicked under reply under Ali-Baba’s re-lyric-izing of “This Land” (at the moment I”m still too sleppy to recall the song’s real title) America/ Lounge song. and it landed way down below at “newest comment” location instead of under Ali-Baba’s.

Ali-Baba — WOW at your lyrical work.

*sigh* at gadgets that run our world, cock-eyed

81. Fird Birfle says:

Belated thank you Theresa!!! My times online are a tad unpredictable lately.

BTW — I JUST SAW my husband, Craig F. talking with (? I think it was) Ernie and various chikkens, on Sesame St., this morning!!! YAY chikkens!! YAY Craig-y-poo!

82. Fird Birfle says:

DANG IT this one wuz s’posed to go, way up higher, under THERESA’s comment.

*stomps away, pouting and grumbling about dangnabbed no gudfernutthin gadgets*

83. Fird Birfle says:

heh heh heh Ali-Baba: “Soylent Green is PEOPLE” !!! :)

….and this will ALSO (Grumble, mutter) land at the bottom of the page, instead of under Ali Baba time-stamped 7:18 pm about fishsticks…

84. Fird Birfle says:

85. Fird Birfle says:

YAY to both Theresa and to Rachael.

In this ‘ticklar case, Rachael seems to have listened to the Car Tawk episode in qwershtyun …. :)

86. Sasha's Mum says:

Doctor Who reference ftw!

87. Sasha's Mum says:

Count me into the club. The only thing laudable about Hemmingway imo was his love of cats.

88. you are not alone, believe me. everyone else who feels the need to point out the photoshopping (or illustratoring, or flashing, or gimping or copy/pasting), just try and enjoy.

89. Fird Birfle says:

VERY NICE, BB/VA!!!!

90. Fird Birfle says:

to writeenwyrdd, time-stamped Sept 6, 5:10 am:

*sigh*

WOT a wunnerful, wunnerful buk!!! Cherished yummy moments with that one!

Le livre, voila!!!

91. Fird Birfle says:

*now whining for own self. Ain’t NUTTHIN’ moderateable, except that I have placed more than a coupla comments arreddy ….about this
    (above) item to be lasso-d into the Mod Lounge* oh well, lessee whut’s in the fridge ….

92. Fird Birfle says:

yes, that IS a logical point, which I hadn’t considered previously :)

93. Trivia For The Day: Did you know that even if you clone (I’m talking actual DNA cloning here, not the computer kind) a multi-colored cat, the markings will not be identical? It all depends on which cells get there first as the fetus is developing. My nortie tortie, Dora the Explorer, is mostly black–I always wish that the orange cells had been a little speedier.

94. Brava, bbva! :-). I’m with you in spirit!
    *gets out posterboard & markers, starts making Free BBVA NOW! signs…

95. Imma tell you whut, I agrees wit ya! I replied to BBVA & it went solo like three comments later. Ah well! Mebbe they need to change out the hamsters on the wheel or sumthin,.

And thank you! All y’all CO’rs have rubbed off on me & my phrasicallity & I couldn’t be happier! :-)

96. I love cats but if a bunch of them were looking at me like that, I’d be a little skert.

97. I count 8 originals and 10 copies

98. Mine was supposed to be under Ali-Baba’s – I think the leaves all fell off the quote tree or something.

99. Awwwhhh…

My Dusty is also a mostly-black tortie, who got her (real) name from Dora the Explorer: Dorotea Beatriz Fitzthomas. (All my cats are ‘son of Thomas’…)

Her use-name is ‘Dusty’ because she liked to crawl under furniture as a kitten – and I’m not exactly the world’s best housekeeper… She’s a whiz at kitty-soccer, too, and ‘Dusty’ sort of sounds like an athlete to me.

100. WOW!! *applauds vigorously*

101. supposed to be beneath BB/VA’s song!

102. I clicked under a couple of different places and the replies ended up elsewhere.

The quote tree has termites.

103. Wow, what a coinkadink! Two mostly-black torties named after Dora the Explorer. I adopted her and her brother the day after I moved into my current place–because it isn’t a home without cats, right?–so I was unpacking, there were tons of boxes around, I had to keep opening boxes/drawers/cupboards/closets–and every time I did that kitten would run inside to explore.

‘Dusty’ is a cool name. It makes me think of Dusty Springfield. Also one of the cowboys on “Prairie Home Companion.”

104. phred's mom says:

This is why I am something of a Luddite. Or Amish,
    anyhoo. As the Emperor Franz Joseph said of
    Mozart’s music, “There are too many notes!”
    Keep lt simple. Shaker, that’s it! No, wait,
    they were celibate. Although…

105. Animator Girl says:

Photoshopping too obvious….. overwhelming the cute….. Noooooooes!