RIP Snow

Sad news to report, People. Snow the Polar Bear died unexpectedly Sunday night at the age of 17. Here’s the Denver Post with more details.

Snow and her twin brother Klondike were born back in 1994 at the Denver Zoo.

Thanks to Kurt Peterson’s FB page for the story.

Comments

1. Heart breaking :-(

2. emmberrann says:

Snow has fallen. She was a lovely bear. Snf.

3. Joanne Sanna says:

Love these videos – please keep them coming.

4. I’m so sad. RIP, sweet girl. :(

5. Rest in peace, Snow. :(

6. Baroooo!

7. SuburbanPrairie says:

Oh, Snow. You were a beautiful and majestic bear. I remember when you and your brother were young, there was a TV special about your first year of life. You had to be hand-reared, but I can’t remember why your Mom didn’t raise you (maybe you were too small?). And if I recall correctly, you were smaller than Klondike, and the vets and zoo keepers were worried about your health… but then you proved their worries unfounded as you put on weight and grew and grew and grew! And I remember you playing with Klondike, and exploring new places together. And then you got too big to be in such close contact with people, and you and Klondike got to move into your permanent home there at the Zoo, where you’ve lived, I hope, a happy life together. I can only imagine how your brother must grieve for you. I’m so sorry for your loss, Klondike, and all the people whose lives have been touched by you both.

Rest in peace, dear girl. Thanks for sharing your life with us, and letting us learn from you. ♥

8. So sad :-(

9. First thing I had to do when I went to Seaworld was to see Snow and Klondike. Still remember them being so, so little and cute.

Didn’t realize that they had separated her from Klondike.

10. savvy_geek says:

Ugh, I watched that documentary many times with my (now deceased) grandparents. We loved it and would talk about Klondike and Snow as though they were friends of ours. So very sad.

11. Man, first Blinky the Clown, and now Snow. Been a rough week if you grew up in Denver. RIP Snow. I’m so glad I got to see you as a baby bear. That’s the way I’ll always remember you.

12. NOOOOO!!! I was obsessed with Klondike and Snow when I was little! I owned the VHS of their story and would watch it over and over again. I even had life-sized stuffed animal replicas of them that I would play with.

RIP Snow

13. I also noticed from the article that she was recently separated from her brother. I wonder if that had anything to do with her death :(

14. Nano's mom says:

I was living in Denver when they were born and remember it very well. Their mom was a first time mother and rejected them. There was such a long line when people were finally able to see them!
    On a separate note – 17 years!? REALLY? I feel old.

15. Nano's mom says:

BTW, in looking for pictures of K&S, I stumbled across a site I wasn’t aware of – knutisweekly.com a weekly magazine … dedicated to the loving memory of the sweetest polar bear ever – KNUT – the miracle in Berlin.” If you are not already familiar with it, check it out.

16. So amazing how animals touch our lives, we watched your story many times when my daughter was younger and I’m sure that’s one reason she has such a love for animals. RIP Snow you will be missed but not forgotten!

17. I remember the Klondike and Snow video and getting it as a thank-you gift for supporting public TV. I loved that video and played it over and over – it represented a whole new level of animal-related cuteness. I loved it when the baby bears would suck on the keepers’ hands and make that rubbly purring sound.

Poor Snow; it’s so sad to think of her being gone.