We (Heart) Ferrets

Eight baby ferrets, sleeping in the morning,
Keeping shut their tiny eyes, not even yawning.

Eight baby ferrets on a lazy afternoon,
Dreaming of the mischief they’ll be getting into soon.

Eight baby ferrets, huddled up tight,
Give them each a little kiss and tell them all goodnight.

Photo: Kimberly Tamkun / Mountain-Prairie Region of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Comments

1. Heart, indeed! I heart the poem, too.

2. WEE TINY FERTS!!

Love them and love the poem. Also, anyone else think that kits this young look awfully otterlike?

3. And they’re shaped into a heart!

4. I can’t find the original CO post easily, but it showed this photo of another ferret-made heart: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59953422@N00/1421808777/

5. But how do you get them untangled?

6. emmberrann says:

Who wants to?

7. Although it doesn’t use the same picture as the one to which you linked, perhaps you are thinking of this post?

8. ER MAH GERD, FERTS!

9. that reminds me, i need to vote today

10. Well..,THEY might. Sooner or later, nature is going to take its course. I don’t think Maw Fert will be able to get them latched on when they are tied up in knots.

11. savvy_geek says:

That’s what I was thinking! Those look like otter muzzle-powshes (sp?)!

12. Glad others saw the otterliness! Though, really, otters are kinda just giant ferrets that like to swim and hold hands anyway…!

13. Not that it really makes any difference, but I only count 7 bebeh ferrets, not 8. o.O

14. what are they lying in, a pile of Chicklets?

15. savvy_geek says:

But ferrets have pointy noses, don’t they? I’m STILL not convinced these aren’t otters. ;-)

16. i count only 1 (traces on screen with finger again) yup, just 1

17. fish eye no miko says:

HEE! Only on CO would a picture of mustelids make someone go, “Oh, yeah, I need to vote!” (-:

18. I got 8. Definitely 8. Now, where’s my thunderclap?

19. stylishgirl says:

I think there’s only 7. But hey what does it really matter?

20. These are Black-Footed Ferrets, an American species brought back from the edge of extinction and reintroduced into the wild. Years ago I used to work with the American Ferret Association and got to play a very small role in this success. Check out the link under the photo for these guys a bit older.

21. Apparently, sleeping in heart shapes is genetic!

22. If the two little butts on the bottom left and right are independent of those heads, there could actually be 9!

23. Argyle Donkeypants says:

Eight baby ferrets, snoring in harmonics,
    They dream of climbing up the desk to trash the electronics.

Eight baby ferrets, digging like some gophers,
    Diligently taking out the insoles from the loafers.

Eight baby ferrets with their tiny little faces,
    Turning every place they go into much happier places.

A heartfelt thank-you to the fine folks working to save mustela nigripes, from me and my business.

24. Ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS! *to the Batman theme*

25. voice of experience?

26. Argyle Donkeypants says:

A bit. :)

27. emmberrann says:

Ferts don’t have pernty nerses like ermerns, but their nerses do have pernts. These, howerver, are berbehs, and we all knerr berbehs chernge a lot as they grer. Translation (aherm): Ferrets don’t have pointy noses like ermines, but their noses do have points. These, however, are bebehs, and we all know that bebehs change a lot as they grow.

28. emmberrann says:

Well, that’s up to them and Maman, then. WE will not have to be involved with the untangling. They will untangle when they have the horrible hongries and will settle down to the milk bar all by their very cute ownsomes.

29. emmberrann says:

Wal, hallo to ADp! We have not heard from you in way too long! Happy Ferts to you!