Goodbye, Neil

Baroooooooooo! [crying sound]

Rest in peace Mr. Armstrong.

1. A very sad day… :-(

2.  “High Flight”

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
     And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
     Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
     of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
     You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
     High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
     I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
     My eager craft through footless halls of air….

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
     I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
     Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
     And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
     The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
     – Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

3. Jackie Rose says:

One of my favorite poems. Thank you.

4. My pleasure. It’s one of my favorites too. I remember the first time I heard it was at the end of this made for tv movie about the Challenger shuttle. The had a voice over of it going during the countdown as they showed each astronaut’s (well, the actor’s) face.

5. I remember seeing that TV Movie, Ali-Baba :cry: It was so very fitting for the end :cry:

6. thelittlemyrmidon says:

Ronald Reagan quoted it in his speech the day of the Challenger disaster, January 28, 1986.

7. Reading that gives sends a shiver through me. How perfectly appropriate. Thanks, Ali-Baba… and thank you, Mr. Armstrong.

8. Oh. That is so beautiful.

9. phred's mom says:

Tears. Lovely.

10. Used to have a copy of this on my fridge. See link for more info on author and significance of poem.

11. Mary (the first) says:

Perfect. Thank you.

12. You found the perfect poem, Al-Baba.

13. I meant “Ali-Baba” not “Al-Baba”.

14. in space, nobody can hear you bleen.

15. fleurdamour says:

A fitting CO tribute: Heel Pawstrong, the first canine in history to howl on the moon, not at it.

16. lol ;-)

17. 260Oakley says:

His fellow astromutt, Snoopy, is back in the landing unit, informing Mission Control that the beagle has landed.

Farewell, Mr. Armstrong. :(

18. You can tell he’s returning because he’s facing the other way…

19. Fird Birfle says:

who else LOVES mr. mutt’s cute little space-boots???

20. wannadance says:

the beagle has landed!!!

21. Andi from NC says:

The sweet pup’s woeful expression says it all – Godspeed, Mr. Armstrong!

22. A true hero, a gentleman and the epitome of bravery and class. He will be missed. :(

23. Definitely well said, Saffron :cry:

24. What Saffron said, better than I could.

25. Fird Birfle says:

the pic is a lovely choice for this moment.

26. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Beautiful tribute. RIP Mr. Armstrong. ♥

27. snoopysnake says:

Neil will once again be watching over Earth from above. RIP.

28. DewiCasGwent says:

Even the Moons Blue this Month (31 August)

29. wannadance says:

but we must remember he was 82, a ripe age and a full life and a quick death. only the good are so lucky.

30. This is mostly true, IMHO wannadance. We who are left behind can forgive ourselves for being greedy though !

31. Mr. Armstrong said he was a “white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer”. He left out the “nerves of steel” part.

Thanks for being here, sir. You were the right man in the right place at the right time. I hope we can someday carry on your legacy.

32. victoreia says:

And walk in your footsteps on the lunar surface.

33. What tribute you all have paid to a great man. A true hero.. Love the poem too. My dad was a pilot in WWII. I gave him a copy of the poem etched on a plaque for his 50th birthday. He had tears in his eyes when he read it.

34. Both Neil armstrong’s passing, and the story behind the poem, brought a tear to my eye. I think the phrase “reluctant hero” applies to both gentlemen. RIP.