The Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe Has Nothin’ on Me!

She thought she had a lot of kids? Check out my creep. Hey, I’m not puttin’ my kids down, that’s what you call a group of tortoises.

Is this what the slow movement is about, Catnik?
This just in! Commenter G found the original story and photos from Cambridge News. Thank you so much, G!

Comments

1. Januaryfarmer says:

I want a CO close-up on lower right corner!

2. I have never seen so many baby tortoises together! The cuteness increases exponentially!

I would love to know more about how they got there and who’s taking care of them.

3. Is that for realz???

4. That’s pretty neato!

5. omg my head asploded!

what do you call this? a collection of tortoises? a bevy? a flock? a herd? look at them look at them!! eeeep!!

6. They do move in herds!

7. It says in the text: a creep of tortoises.

8. slowest. stampede. ever.

9. I bet a sloth stampede is even slower. :)

10. skippymom says:

I want these guys in my yard.

11. Crazy Pants says:

This is awesome! Thank you so much, G. I updated the post so everybody can go check it out. I noticed that they called the tortoises a herd and not a creep. Interesting!

12. Love zoo spokesperson’s comment: “We wonder what the world will be like in 150 years when these individuals reach old age.”

13. Blue Footed Booby says:

A field of helmets.

14. hah! good point, R
    maybe we should pit them against each other and have a slow-race

15. Mom, Shelley keeps kicking my shell!
    Mom, are we there yet?
    Mom, I don’t like the grass here!
    Mom, Sheldon says he’s going to flip me upside down!
    Mom, can I have a snack?

…et cetera…

16. Someone’s being over-run with wee turtles.

17. that’s adorable!! i just want to go sit in the middle of all of them!

18. Janeyferr says:

Yay, my local rag.

19. Tortletts? Mini -torts?

20. 260Oakley says:

Tortellini

21. Fird Birfle says:

I LURVE Turtle-y-poos!!!!

22. victoreia says:

I’ll never look at pasta the same way again….. :lol:

23. I’ll bring the binkies so we can nap between the start and the finish line. Or overnight, whichever comes first! ;)

24. ooh, yes–good eye!!!

25. I’ve had two tortoises in my life (strays that we fed and played with while they took up residence on our property. When they left, we let ‘em).

Those buggers can RUN!

Mind you, they might slow down when they hit middle age at 150, but the 5-10 year olds can RUN. Especially if they see a banana or strawberry.

26. Mary (the first) says:

Thanks, G !! :D

27. Mary (the first) says:

I liked the part where they don’t know who the “baby daddy” is because there are 4 males. Apparently, Kali has been cattin’ around!

28. I’ve got to save the wee turtles!

Save me from the wee turtles!

29. You can tell she’s a brazen hussy. :)

30. Welcome! I was mostly curious to know more myself. Where was it? Do tortoises act as mothers or are they just in the same pen? –was this in fact some kind of dummy photo of a tortoise surrounded by box turtles? It’d still be cute, but it’d be different. So I went looking :)

Anyone who doesn’t care to follow the link, this is a mother and babies at Linton Zoo in Cambridgeshire. She laid the eggs and they were taken and put in an incubator to hatch. They got 45 baby tortoises! At the time of the article (December 2011) they were being cared for in nursery tanks, but they were placed in the pen to get a “family photo.”