Scientific Progress Goes Boi-eeng

Here at the Acme Institute for Applied Cartoon Physics, researchers explore innovative ways to meet the challenge of 21st-century animation. Here, veteran actor Ollie the Collie tests an experimental anti-gravity prop mouse.

Via Facenibbler on Reddit. (Yes, you’ve seen that title somewhere before…)

1. I have that mouse!!! He’s from Ikea and he is my cat Trixie’s favorite toy!

2. Yup—I thought I recognized Ratso (as we call him at my house) too!

3. Fird Birfle says:

*giggles* at reaction term “Gadzooks” (from hovertext) !!!

*then giggles* about the term “hovertext”,
    in relation to the shaggy dogue, which is “hovering” over the mousiekins too ….

4. Oooh, I’m an avid CO reader but don’t often write . . . I think I’ve found myself in the much-touted Mod Lounge. I feel honored!

5. well, halllooo!

come back anytime and ask for the daily special!

6. Fird Birfle says:

comme ce chat est adorable et un chef aussi!!

7. *le blush*

8. *le blush*

wait, *un* chef?

9. SoccerSue says:

Calvin and Hobbes reference FTW! :-)

10. What I came to say!

11. Seconded!

I wonder if it’s available in e-book. I just got a tablet and I would love to read those comics again.

12. And yet the picture is more in line with “Weirdos from Another Planet!”

13. Calvin and Hobbes reference. Very nice.

14. SlaveToCat says:

I had that exact same reaction when a mouse ran across my legs while I was napping on the couch.

15. I take it the cat to which you are a slave was on break?

16. SlaveToCat says:

He’s 22 so it takes a few minutes to get up to mouse catching speed, and then he sorta forgets where he was going and what he was doing so he heads back to his perch for a nap on his heating pad. Of course he has to make a pass at the food dishes for a snack and drink of water first.

17. Fird Birfle says:

well of COURSE he does, to strengthen him up don’tcha know.

In a related story: TWENTY-TWO??? Whadidja DO give him immortality prescriptions??? My guy made it to eighteen and I thought I was lucky!!!

*We are Much Impressed*

18. Congratulations on your 22 year-old kitty. My kitty, Rutherford, lived to be 23.5 years old and he, too, liked his heating pad. Except it was a hot rock left over from my red boa, Cleopatra, who I had to give back to the pet store because she got out of her cage twice, which wasn’t healthy for me or for my two cats. Granted, she was only about two feet long and 2 inches in diameter at that time, but she would have grown to 9 feet in length, which totally gave me the willies, after I thought about it, so back to the pet store she went. At one point, I had a houseful of animals that would all have eaten each other if given half a chance: two cats, a red boa, a 55 gallon tank fish tank, and a cageful of birds. Oh, and one boyfriend. What a menagerie!

19. Fird Birfle says:

I agree with your assessment and the animal universe thanks you for providing them with such healthy and well-cared-for lives.

20. SlaveToCat says:

My secret is a small piece of poached chicken or fish once in a while and as much cuddle time as they desire. Heating pad and covered with a hand towel in the winter.

21. Oy, who turned off the gravity again?
    *grumble grumble* dang kids…

22. I wish I could find someone who could at least turn it down a little. Somebody keeps turning it UP on me, especially when standing on the scale at the doctor’s office.

23. *snicker* :-)

24. What is the old saying? “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!” I say, If you’re going to use another’s material, at least make it GOOD material! Nicely done, NTMTOM!

25. I know I’ve said this countless times, but how on earth do people get amazing shots like that?!?

26. Wile E. Coyote would be envious.

27. Scientific progress seems to have a habit of doing that.

Whatever happened to the machine that goes “PING”??

28. Blue Footed Booby says:

They still exist, but now they go so fast that the sound doppler shifts into “PONG.” The wonders of modern science!

29. Killer Klown says:

And later that night, when everyone’s tucked in…

Something Under the Bed is Drooling?

30. Yes, but Spaceman Spiff will come to the rescute!

31. skippymom says:

This is the funniest picture I have ever seen.

32. Fird Birfle says:

nice adjustment there sk’mom :)

33. Incorrigible aliens – first the sheep and now the sheep dogs.

34. I like how the “mouse” looks as surprised as the dog is!

35. Lor help us if he ever runs across a REAL mouse.

36. Just an absolutely fabulous picture, and fab comments as well!

37. Don’t know who looks more surprised, doggeh or mousie! :-D