It began, as all memes do, with a photo: A happy young woman smiling awkwardly through her retainer at her favorite berks. Soon, no goofy grimace was safe from the Internet’s newest marble-mouthed captioning craze, not even ernimerls.

Pherters vier Termblr. (Caution: prolonged viewing may cause brain damage.)

1. Shouldn’t that be wehrtehmerlen?

2. Erl o erl!

3. Er ert least a kernterlerp?

4. bookmonstercats says:

I suspect the young lady is quite pretty, or will be when the braces (as we call them erverh hehre) are removed. Remerve those bernches from the side of her hehrd, immerdiehrtly, though and all will be well.

5. If you do a search under “Goosebumps Girl” you can find her story. Apparently she and her friends liked to dress up and take silly pictures. There is a photo of her taken recently, and she is quite lovely.

6. fleurdamour says:

Reminds me of a young Maila Nurmi, AKA Vampira. It’s the eyebrows.

7. skippymom says:

We call them braces too, I think retainer is a thing like braces but can be taken out, not affixed to the teeth. But I thought braces was what you call what we call suspenders? (And I think suspenders is what you call what we call garters?)

8. Speaking from personal experience, a retainer is what you get after you’ve had the braces removed, that you have to wear for a while afterwards to keep the teeth from shifting back. And yes, it can be taken out, and used to gross out other people…

9. skippymom says:

But you never did THAT, right, cj?

10. I was in college when I had mine, and I would take it out in my sleep and drop it on my roommate (I had the upper bunk).

She didn’t kill me. I don’t know why.

11. LOLOL! I’m surprised she didn’t get up on stomp on it…

12. ahem – get up AND stomp on it

13. heh heh… c’mon, I was in junior high…

14. skippymom, my grandfather used to wash his plate in his dinner glass at the table. Even in restaurants, which prompted my grandmother to dive underneatht he table.

15. You especially shouldn’t remove them after a meal and swish them around in your water dish tor rinse them.

16. skippymom says:

Kar, you have a water dish? Are you a dog or a cat?

17. Stop EET!!! I am getting a head ache LOL!

18. skippymom says:

You mean your herd herts?

19. Fleurdamour says:

Sherfty errs

20. Fird Birfle says:

*shifty eyes*

21. skippymom says:

sherking permperms

22. And so do you – flerdamer!

23. skippymom says:

I’m changing my name to skerpymerm!

24. Fird Birfle says:

*Just read fleurdamour’s comment!!!* hehe

25. Fleurdamour says:

26. fleurdamour says:

Hey, Fird Birfle already sounds like this! Ferd Berfle!

27. fleurdamour says:

Ferd got Flerdahmerd!

28. bookmonstercats says:

We just like to confuse, skippymom (or skippymum, as we’d call you heh heh).

29. WaterWish says:

I thought it was from Kristen Wiig’s Target cashier voice.

30. when I first heard about this joke, I was all “who the heck is Irma Gerd?”

31. Fird Birfle says:

Probably “Ermagarde”. ;)

32. andi in NC says:

I’m trying so hard to hold in the laughter here in cube heaven at the office I might throw a thrombo (or possibly threhr a thremberh)…..

33. Me too – I learn SO much from CO…

34. I lost it so bad (also at werk), that my BOSS IM’ed me from her office (tertally arourd the cerner from mine) and was like, “Is that YOU I hear? What is wrong?”

35. Did you IM back, Nertherng?

36. No, but I should have. I was lerfing to hard to think straight.

37. onionpencil says:

a friend of mine named his puppy erma (gherd)

38. ROFL! There really are no words!

39. Agreed! Or at least no funnier ones. :D

40. This made me laugh so hard I nearly soiled myself.

43. I’m having the same reaction–must empty bladder before visiting CO.

44. HAWR!

45. Oh no! That’s all I need – more goofy sounding word in my head.

46. Gerfy werds? Err, lerk fer ernsternce, comfturbuls, furbert, lurve, NYERHE !

47. Hate to say it, but I think I like LOLspeak better.

Sad, isn’t it?

48. fleurdamour says:

How about an unholy hybrid of the two:

EMG!! I can has Cert Erverlerd!!

49. Or how abert ERMAHGERD girl meets Inspector Clouseau?

50. I was reading these words over & over; and for the life of me, I couldn’t unnerstand them; then suddenly, in a flash, their meaning was clear; (and that was really the scary part)….. :shock:….Naow I ar rlly cuncearned wut bees heppening tu mai brayne!!! Becuz teh landgwidge seckshun ov eet seams tu bee affecktid……. :shock:

51. You are lucky :( I can’t read what is written in lol speak at all :(

52. Ermahgerd (sound it out out loud) is a mash of Er Mah Gerd a.k.a OMG.

Once you have that down the rest more or less comes together. For instance: “Ferncer Ferst” is Fancy Feast, “Squerker Ter” is Squeaky Toy, and I’ll leave you to figure out what “Merlern” is.

53. Wertermerlern.

54. I GOT it, JCMasterpiece, once you explained how to read lol speak :D Merlern is watermelon :D

55. Ermahgerhd Lerngerberger berskert.

56. OMG! I’m laughing so hard I’m snorting!

57. Me too! Terterly snerting!!

58. Oh wow. My head is starting to hurt from this :) Although I will admit I’m a bit like the lemur when it comes to watermelon…..or as Theresa pointed out…wehrtehmerlen

59. Ermahgerd! Deeese pooses arr guud!

60. This made me wheeze and laugh and cry all of my mascara–or, merskerah–off. Holy COW! Thanks for making my Friday a whole lot ferrnier.

61. Erin Ison says:

My sentiments exactly. I can’t even handle how funny this is…

62. Stervern Terler ruined this meme before it even got started.

63. sunnylessmum says:

I am absolutely dying of laughter over this blerg perst! My coworker and I have been having ermahgerd outbreaks for weeks now, and this is the pic that started it all for us

64. fleurdamour says:

It’s barely even Ehrnglersh anymore, is it?

65. I admit to living under a giant boulder and not knowing a thing about meme’s until ‘ridiculously photogenic guy’ took over the world. Thank goodness I did because a lot of these are downright funny!!

66. i never knew the story – i just remember the Southpark episode ‘Deh terk ere jerbs!’ but this is even funnier. my head hurts now from laughing and crying…

67. You CO perple are insern! STERP ERT!

Herppy Pertiernt erf ther Ersylerm

68. Gerd lerd, NermTerm. Giggle-snerting AND weehrpin’ at work is mos def frowned upern.

69. So there are some words that are born Ermahgerded – for example squirrel. Could the original for squirrel have been squall?

70. Ermahgerd! There must be so many derstroyed computer dersplays in the world now thanks to CO. I think some postings like this sherd cerme with warnings. I spert cerfee all oerver merne!

71. Guys, guys, when I was in college, there was a local greasy spoon where there was a waitress who talked just like this ALL THE TIME. We always used to imitate her– she didn’t seem to be able to pry her jaws apart when she talked, so she would always come to your table and ask: