Mom lends a helping hand, er, paw

So, look. Here’s the Mama Polar Bear and her two kids. One hops up onto the ice fine, and the other one has a wee bit of a problem. What does Mom do? She saves the day, that’s what! Watch her scoop up those Polar Tocks! (And listen for all the “awwww’s” going on.)

Taken off the coast of Greenland, from the RRS James Clark Ross during the UK Ocean Acidification cruise last month. Thanks for the vid, Vdhumph.

1. Mom looks like she doesn’t like all the attention.

2. Either that or she’s wondering how to get over to all that nice fresh meat… She’s got cubs to feed, after all.

(Needs more David Attenborough)

3. Everything needs all the David Attenborough, always!

4. CathyDee says:

Or that guy that narrates the “honey badger don’t care” videos.

5. Fird Birfle says:

Of course not. It gets tiring, wiping all the runny noses clean and making grilled-cheese samiches all day long …. Who needs paparazzi into the pikcha??

6. birds9y9 says:

7. Fird Birfle says:

Wild Applause here.

8. Moms are so cool.

9. JohnnyJohnny says:

I cam in to say just that! Moms For The Win!

10. Too precious!!!

11. Just lovely! My wife, recent mom of twins, and I have been longtime admirers of CO, but since she got pregnant she’s only interested in cute animals with their cute animal moms. Here’s one we can put back on her to-watch list.

12. Daniel Happy Birfday to your twinsies!

All I can say about the vid is… a mom is a mom is a mom. No matter what the species, it’s all about loving and protecting (and trying to keep the little poopyheads in line). :)

13. very cute

14. fleurdamour says:

Little help here, Mom?

15. Oh man, I know that feeling. I could never get out of the swimming baths as a kid.

16. I think i heard Mom doing her tsssss…..while shaking her head.

17. what a good mom!

18. In a Yogi Bear voice: Is that a pic-a-nic basket I smell, Boo-Boo? I think it is. It smells yummy. I wonder how I can get it. It smells like it’s got wonderful goodies in it for a hungry bear family.