Sneef sneef

[Sniffing sounds]

I prefer peanuts…

…But popcorn is OK too.

Sender-Inner Katarina used her trusty iPhone 4S and snapped these shots of this little guy in a New York City area park.

Comments

1. Excuse me mam, I seem to have misplace my mother, she was wearing a fur coat and a mask. You wouldn’t happen to have seen her by any chance?

2. victoreia says:

He looks lost….

3. So cuteoverload’s advertising for Apple now. If I take a cute picture with an iPad will I get posted on cuteoverload too?

4. He looks much too little to be alone… :( I hope his mama was nearby.

5. Fird Birfle says:

Nah victoreia.

With all due interpersonal respect, I’ma suggest that, to me, he seems more like a NYC/ CIA operative, doing a surveillance in Central Park. Cautious, pencil-protectors in his pocket, you know the type ….

6. nazani14 says:

I agree. It’s pretty unusual to see a raccoon in broad daylight, let alone an infant separated from its mother. The photographer should have contacted some kind of animal rescue group.

And no, salty snacks are NOT appropriate foods.

7. Scout C says:

We had a baby raccoon seemingly abandoned in our yard on a cold, rainy morning and heard him crying, “Mama! Mama! Mama!” (At least that’s what I think he was saying.) I called the wildlife rescue center and they told me that the mama will move the babies from one nest to another periodically and sometimes will bring all of the babies down from a tree nest one right after the other (or the babies will climb down on their own if Mama takes one and leaves the others in the tree), but only move one at a time to the new place. They told me to just leave him be and the mother would be back for him. Mama came back later and brought him to their new home in the sewer. Maybe this guy’s just waiting for his turn to relocate; he looks about the same size as the one in our yard.

8. give us what you got!

9. exact same story here. i hated watching the little guys looking so lonely, but mama raccoons are just a little too busy fixing up the new place to be bothered with that racket right now. i actually got to watch a mama move her babies one at a time about 6″ away from where i was sleeping. i had an attic bedroom with windows that opened into an oak tree. she saw me there and was freaked out, but she made her way across the branches while i just sat there, trying to remember to breathe and watched her relocate her babies, one-by-one, for hours. each one looked and sounded like it was about to drop to its death, barely hanging on, but mama was on it, even though she looked completely frazzled. it was wonderful.

10. Theresa says:

He is a peanut!

11. I agree! A precious peanut!

12. Ali-Baba says:

Awwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!! He’s so sweet!
    Is it just me or does it look like he fell in a hole in the second picture? He has that “A little help here!” look on his wee face!
    I have a raccoon ( well, my apartments do) that visits the dumpster 3 or 4 times a week. The bonus for me is that I live on the second floor & my window overlooks the dumpster. So when I’m getting ready for work in the wee hours of the a.m., I catch a glimpse of him/her rooting around. He’s about 10 times bigger than Wee Willie McCutersons here, but just as adorable. I’ve even gotten to say hello once or twice before he heads for the hills. I keep thinking I need to call a rescue person, because the poor fella/girl has a limp in its back leg, but he/she seems fat & sassy enough.

13. Mary (the first) says:

Yep, once watched a whole gaggle (ok, 4) in my front yard.. They took off for the other side of the street but lost one on the way. He stopped to smell the roses. (Literally). When he saw they were gone, he put his nose to the ground like the one in photo and started following their trail. At some point he lost them and came back to first spot to start over. Right about then, mom/dad/sib came barreling across the street to get him. Apparently they finally noticed he was missing. They actually all did a “happy dance” reunion thing for a couple minutes, touching noses and squeaking and basically joyous. Then, all 4 turned in a bunch, shoulder to shoulder, and took off across the street again. It was really fun to watch. This was at dusk, not full daylight.

14. Rachael says:

As much as I love the pics of this adorabuhl McCritterson, I love the stories you guys relate about your raccoon experiences. I have to live vicariously, as I have no raccoon stories of my own to tell. What an empty life I’ve lived. :)

15. I’m so jealous of all you guys! :)

16. Birdcage says:

I just got back from a camping trip deep in the Canadian wilderness (OK, maybe not THAT deep …..) and I had raccoon visitors outside my tent every night. On the first nights, two wee behbeh masked avengers had a spat outside my screeny tent door and I had to intervene with a “Do I need to come out there and separate the two of you?” which had the desired effect. Anyway, they prowled around my campsite but found no accessible food and went on their merry way. It’s a good thing those rascals are cute! They get into everything!

17. I had a babeh McSkunkerson outside my bedroom window Sunday night… one of the kittehs alerted me to its presence, so I got up to watch it for a few minutes… it left its lovely aroma and then skedaddled. And then the babeh ground hog went scurrying by too. Busy place for the middle of the night. And I live right in the city – I keep my backyard very natural!

18. :lol: I love a guy that says that having your window overlook the dumpster is a bonus just so he can watch a racoon come and go. Good on you man, good on you.

19. fleurdamour says:

I used to live on Staten Island and came home one night to find the world’s biggest and most cranky ancient raccoon in a tree right by the door to my apartment building. He hissed at me when I was sidling by to unlock the door. NYC is surprisingly full of wildlife.

20. :lol: Too bad you did not take a video of it, Birdcage :lol: Where in Canada did you go for your camping trip? :D Was it on the West Coast (British Columbia)? :D

21. I watched a documentary on raccoons in New York and they are saying those raccoons are smarter than their wild relatives due to the fact they have to figure out where to get food and live amoung humans in a large city like New York :D

22. ElishaB. says:

Definitely a Cute or Sad tag here……

23. victoreia says:

Okay…..who forgot to close their italics tag? >