When you’re smiling, keep on smiling…

The whole world smiles with you.
And when you’re laughing oh when you’re laughing,
The sun comes shining through.

We totally agree with this, Mr. Louis Armstrong. Photo from Da Buzz.

Comments

1. Yes, you made me laugh :~)

2. Where is the little guy’s teef?

3. A real snake charmer, eh?

4. mumofbubba says:

Acckkkk. I apologize to whomever owns this pet, but I’m ssssscared of ssssnakes. This one almost makessss me not afraid, but still. Small ack. For a ssssnake he’s tolerable because of his little teefs.

5. bob drummond says:

By the eyes , I would say that is the head of a turtle !!!

6. Victoria, Mom to 4 Rats (and one spoiled kitty) says:

It’s a turtle, not a snake. You can see his shell (and the hand/wrist) of the human holding him) in the background. :)

7. lds7yrs says:

Turtles don’t have teeth. Just a “beaky” type mouth, and a very very very hard palate.

8. lds7yrs says:

Such a happy looking face. Makes you wonder what he’s been up to! (in sing-songy voice).

9. Pixar’s calling about a three movie deal.

10. Even their beaks looks like they can “chew”. This guy’s gummier than my grampa!

11. That’s a tickled turtle.

12. That smile is just what the doctor ordered!

Hey, peeps. Send some sweet, comforting thoughts to Papa Pennefeather. He had to make the tough decision to euthanize his loyal companion of 15 years. His beagle, Sherlock, was a super sweet, loving hound. He did what needed doing, but it still hurts his heart so much.

13. part of having a dog is having had a dog. the memories keep him with you.

14. bob drummond says:

I’m sorry ROSEMARY for your Papa’s loss of his long time canine companion !!!May Papa appreciate the time he did get to spend with his beloved beagle !!!

15. Fird Birfle says:

16. Fird Birfle says:

OOOOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOES, R.P., Papa Pennefeather and Sherlock!!!

(btw, beagles R awesome & “Sherlock” is a penultimate name fer a Beagle)

All my household’s blessings to you, to Papa P. & to Sherlock. Tell Sherlock to look up my guy Salinger, in Heaven. He’ll probably be smoking a cat-ceegar and playing poker with the boys in the Billiards Room; Sherlock will be welcome!!!

*sad*

L. Thomas, Jax.

17. Fird Birfle says:

anybody here know the backstory of Louis’ nickname “Satchmo”?? It actually bears some relevance to the photo of the wunnerful toitle face, here…..

18. baroooo! oh pobre papa… love and warm fuzzies being sent out :(

19. It’s short for “Satchel Mouth”, He had a bigmouth – the size of a suitcase.

20. I loves the wee smiley toitle!

21. bookmonstercats says:

I had to think about it as well….

22. bookmonstercats says:

Poor Papa P. Rainbows to him, and remember, Beagle Sherlock is now chasing frisbees in the endless green meadows across the rainbow bridge.

23. I want to save this, shrink it, and let it be my new substitute for the Awesome Smiley.

24. Fird Birfle says:

That’s surely the main *PART* of the story
    (reference to Paul Harvey’s radio comentaries… ) and that’s what the picture of the turtle’s face, reminded me of. CO Mod’s please forgive a tangent of 10 lines or so???

However/ also (?) my dad tended to follow Mr. Armstrong’s life & career, and I’ve worked in libraries most of my adult life, and I think that I might, once, have heard that Mr. Armstrong also held “Satchel” Paige/ baseball player , as one of his heroes. The baseball guy’s real name was Leroy Robert Paige, from Alabama, long before Jackie Robinson’s inspirational dedication to baseball. And the two “Satchels’ ” dates are somewhat adjacent.

Supposedly, the story behind Mr. Paige’s use of the nickname, varies. One version says that as a boy, to help his family earn a living, he (at the age of 8 or 9)
    went to the local train station and lugged suitcases for a dime each.
    He realized that if he put together ropes and pulleys, he could string along three or four at once, earn three or four dimes. And a buddy saw him and dubbed him a walking satchel tree, and the name stuck.

Another buddy of Paige’s, Wilbur Hine, told it *SLIGHTLY* differently ….
    that, rather than lugging suitcases, Satchel was filching them and that he, Wilbur, dubbed him Satchel for that reason.

Lines three-finish are info from an NPR radio interview in 2009

Mr. Armstrong estim dates: birth 1900 – death 1971
    Mr. Paige estim dates: birth estim 1900-1906 – death 1982

25. lds7yrs says:

I thought exactly the same thing!!

26. I never would’ve made the connection. Thanks for that, the more you know…

27. Warm hugs to papa, from me and the kittehs here.

28. If you ever meet a piggy-nosed turtle, bust out the camera! They love having their picture taken and are extremely photogenic reptilians.