The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady Deer

July 19, 1906: “Third day of bright sunshine and fifth without rain. Miss Flowerdew gave me two Creeping Plume of the Meadow which she had gathered growing wild in Berwickleyshire. Their conspicuous blooms make fine patches of color among the green blades. Presently the air hangs quite heavy with their distinctive perfume.”  …drops pen and diary, keels over

With apologies to Edith Holden, via Mike Lentz.

Comments

1. Lillith says:

Well it’s clearly Bambi and Flower at their first meeting!

2. This!

3. Theresa says:

SKUNKEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :D

4. Theresa says:

And I might as well say it– stinkin’ cute!

5. bob drummond says:

Like a scene from out of “BAMBI” !!!

6. Esme Meow says:

“He can call me a flower if he wants to; I don’t mind.”

7. Creeping Plume of the Meadow. LOL.

8. I REMEMBER the diary of an Edwardian lady; it was SO popular at one time. She did wonderful paintings of plants and flowers but not quite like creeping plume of the meadow(lol) Great captioning! :)

9. Fleurdamour says:

You can call me Flowerdew if you want to.

10. lisaLassie says:

Doesn’t anyone notice the giant turtle lurking on the log?

11. Maybe it’s being raised in the country but I don’t think skunks smell that bad. I mean, I wouldn’t use their sent as an air freshener in my house :lol: but I don’t mind when skunks come to my backyard.

12. The Original Jane says:

I believe it’s a tree branch that was cut off some time prior. However there is a SECOND skunk below the one on the log!

13. lisaLassie says:

I don’t think it’s still true (but I don’t know), but skunk scent used to be used as the basis for perfumes.

14. We needs more skunk pictures! They are super cute.

15. you should go here! they post lots and lots of bebeh skunkersons photos. https://www.facebook.com/CoastandCanyonWildlife

16. YUP !

17. My thought exactly.

18. dubyah1 says:

Looks like a Chuck Jones’ Pepe LePew freeze-frame, just before the cartoon fumes waft over and the petrified deer tips over with all four hoofies in the air.

19. victoreia says:

Obvy many great minds hang out here……

20. bob drummond says:

YES !!! I DO SEE THE TURTLE ON THE RIGHT END OF THE LOG – 2 bad I can’t see his face !!!

21. lol! awesome obscure reference. i have a copy of the very lovely ‘country diary of an edwardian lady’. i don’t recall any ‘creeping plume’ though. snicker snicker

22. Most excellent diary entry, Pyrit.

23. Fird Birfle says:

*looks around for skippymom*

I think THAT’s the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen!!!!

(ALSO: the photog-person must not have BREATHED if neither the bambi-person nor the Flowers-person became spooked by his/ her presence….)

24. :lol: Yep :lol: Check out Pepe LePew on YouTube :lol:

25. I was also raised in the country, Gigi :D Grew up on the family farm near the small town of Beaulah, Manitoba, Canada :D I can remember smelling skunks after they got hit on the highway near our farm. Talk about clearing the sinuses!

26. Thanks! You ever wattch “call of the wildman” or turtle-man?
    The other night, he rescued 5 bebeh stinkers from under ahouse trailer (their mother had been hit by a car) and he got nailed by every one of those kits!
    I can’t stop thinking about how cue they are ever since.

27. Waves at Teresa: a great-aunt had a cottage near Minnedosa: I remember several things about the area, including run-over skonks and the world’s best oatmeal cookies, fortunately not in that order/odor.

28. I’ve always maintained that it’s not the scent of skunks that’s ‘disgusting’, but the concentration.

Then again, I LOVE the smell of cow patties, so I guess I’m just weird XD