Let’s Play: Name That Critter!

Need some help here, People! Megster thinks these guys are gerbils. I…dunno. I do know they are at this very minute trying to steal my soul with their totally adorabuhl little bods.  I mean, get real.  We’ve got snouts, we’ve got leetle teeny feet n’ tails, closed eye capsulz, The Works.  You see what we’re up against…this is serious stuff. So, let’s play Name That Critter!

Total Critter Thanks Go To Kim N’ Marcie!

1. The Smile Scavenger says:

Oh! I know. They are tiny-cute-fuzzies. ^_^

2. Fird Birfle says:

wisdom iz here.

3. Stevie Gunnell says:

4. bob drummond says:

Hey Stevie ,what were you snorting ??? Capybaras are about 100 lbs !!!

5. Just Me says:

If that’s a Capybara……that is one BIG pencil. :)

6. stinky-inky says:

7. Susie-Qute says:

Don’t go much further —-no, no, not the capiburrito thing.

8. I would have to go with gerbil pups (or gerbilettes…gerbilitas? Gerbilchen?). It’s the ears (or seeming lack thereof).

Well, what do I know?

9. Miss Tara says:

Gerbilchen. Definitely.

10. Don’t forget the wheeskères.

11. I vote gerbuhls too because of the longish tailio. What’s up with the no ears?!

12. all I know is those wheeskers have done. me. in.

13. PS: What do I call them? Hors-d’oeuvres! :P

14. Ali-Baba says:

I was thinking brownie bites! Got milk? ;-)

15. CuteCaliLady says:

Little tiny, tiny gerblios for sure!

16. They are prairie dog pups and are the cutest I’ve seen so far. :o)

17. Vee Bee says:

That is exactly what they are! You beat me with the post.

18. They look more like degus…but whatever they are, they are soul-destroyingly cute!

19. I cheated and went over to their page and found LOTS of adorable pics. They’re baby gophers!!

20. sabrina rose says:

I was going to say baby dormice or field mice, but I think you are right. Lots of fur to keep them warm while they dig up the lawn!

21. warrior rabbit says:

I was going to say voles. I’m not sure what a vole actually looks like, but it was as good a thing to suggest as any.

22. I was gonna say prairie dogs, but close enough!

23. It’s a mousie of some kind. A Dormouse, perhaps?

24. bob drummond says:

That was going to be my guess too ,Bonny !!! Doormice !!!

25. Feet have fur, tails have fur (I think) = gerbilios! Or kangaroo rats. Mice have naked feets and naked tails.

26. They look like the baby field mice that I found nested inside my automatic water sampler in a salt marsh.

27. A who in the what now?? And I imagine the Salt-ometer swung WAYYY into the sweet when they moved in!

28. lucy47cat says:

i was gonna say mole but gophers make sense with the wide schnhoz

29. I’m am going with gerbbbeeeeellllsss as well. I think their little ears lie down when they are young.

30. sir isaak lime says:

behbe prairie dogs :) prairie pups! at least that’s what they look like to me.

31. Gah! It’s the Coast & Canyon Wildlife Rehabbers again… bless their souls!

32. Dear Lord don’t let them be gophers ! I’m currently in a battle with them in my yards & my hubby would kill me if I told him they were cute !!! Granted it’s not much of a battle since all I do is flood the mound when one pops up but I can”t bring myself to set out traps or poisons. And I keep hiding the moth balls when my hubby brings them home . (Shhhhh ! don’t tell the hubby that either. it’ll be our little secret ‘K?)

33. oh for shame!

(do the mothballs or flooding actually help? cuteness is destroying my entire yard!)

34. Carl Spackler says:

My enemy, my foe, is an animal. In order to conquer the animal, I have to learn to think like an animal. And, whenever possible, to look like one. I’ve gotta get inside this guy’s pelt and crawl around for a few days. Who’s the gopher’s ally? His friends. The harmless squirrel and the friendly rabbit…..

35. wannadance says:

i was gonna say baby ratties from a lab clone which grows into Black Rats, the beginning of a new series of X Files. now i have no ideer…

36. I know what they are, they are the embodiment of cute!

37. Prairie dogs!

38. victoreia says:

They. Are. Smaller than. The pencil!

39. Fird Birfle says:

*hauls out the HK Defibrillator*
    *plugs it in*

*tucks a Persian kitten into victoreia’s elbow*

40. Hellion says:

Definitely gophers.

41. i really need to have a leetle neeble on them to make an educated guess….

but offhand, i’d say field mice-?

42. JenDeyan says:

I was going to say miceys until I read through the comments and found out they are baby gophers. I didn’t know baby gophers were this cute!

43. baby capybara?

44. bob drummond says:

Come on ,Trisha , get real !!! I worked with capybaras !!!

45. Fird Birfle says:

“real”??? Are there any advantages, to getting “real”???

We are at CUTE overload, y’know :)

46. labmouse says:

These look like vole pups… not sure if prairie vole or field vole.

47. Susie-Qute says:

Do leetle voiles have so much furriness? Even grown-up type voles are teeny and look like they are not wearing any clothes…er, um, fur.

48. There are a lot of voles around my house. My daughter is constantly catching baby voles in the spring (and letting them go unharmed, of course). They are furry. These definitely do look like voles, but the color is off. The ones near my house are usually dark grey…even the babies. I don’t know if they come in other colors or not.

49. They do come in brown…so my vote is definitely vole.

50. Jennifer says:

My immediate thought upon seeing them was gopher. I’m gonna stick with that.
    They are extremely cute!

51. Emmberrann says:

I know! They’re prairie-vole-field-dog-gopher-mice-otter beans!

52. Fird Birfle says:

that works pretty well! :)

53. astropunkin says:

Baby ROUS’s!!!

54. victoreia says:

So that’s what they look like!

55. lisaLassie says:

There’s not a single scientist in the bunch of you peeps. Hand them over to me and my scientists and staff of Animal Identifiers at Cute Overload Overlook, and we shall identify them and I promise to return them immediately. If not sooner. I will NOT keek them. Really.

56. I vote Gerbs. Compare vs my gerb bebeh pics: http://erroraccessdenied.com/image/tid/670 (click pics to embiggen).

For example: http://erroraccessdenied.com/files/images/sleepy.preview.jpg

57. womble girl says:

those are some shiny baby gerbys!

58. 6rabbits says:

I was sure they were baby gerbs. But now that I know they are gophers I can see the differences. Baby gerbils are so cute–we need some to show up here!

59. Dormouse (dormice?)

60. Jan Bolen says:

Kangaroo Rats…. babies

61. Awwwww. Yer classic baby Pencil Gophers. (Not to be confused with a Pen Gopher. Totally different animal…)

62. They are so NOT gophers or prairie dogs people. Have you never seen a baby gerbil? We spend alot of time looking at hams and they are so different. Gerbils people. Do not drown nor poison them, please.

63. it’s okay. i tried and just ended up with a wet laptop.

64. Charnee says:

They are totally meadow voles!!!! ^_^

65. gopher. i’ve seen them in my yard and when hiking.

66. My gerbil had babies and they looked like that. Look at the long furry tails.

67. Rachael says:

All I know is that I don’t have any of those adorabuhl furry critters in my hand. None. Zero. Zip. *waaaaaah*

68. Fird Birfle says:

I SAY (with NO knowledge whatsoever) something in the direkshon of chipmunks.

69. I am guessing baby Degu’s. Similar to gerbils but bigger :)

70. amy.thecute says:

I think those cuties look like baby groundhogs.

71. Looks like gerbil babies to me. I don’t know though. I’m not sure their hind peegs are big enuff.

72. lucinda says:

They look like baby Gerbils to me.

73. k holst says:

I think they’s prairie dog babies

74. bob drummond says:

Okay Guys – can somebody finally tell us what theese little guys are ???
    NTMTOM ? BRINKE ? PYRIT ? Please help !!!

75. Gophers. From Coast and Canyon Wildlife Rehab. They’re FB page is AWESOME!!!!!

76. Dag it — “their” not “they’re.” I got too excited.

77. Megumi's Mom says:

Bob and Sue, and they are baby Gerbils?

78. They are not Gerbils – I’ve bred enough of them. They don’t have the white belly that a white bellied Agouti would have. You cannot get brown bellied Gerbils.
    I’d say they’re some sort of vole judging by the placement and shape of their ears.

79. i think they’re baby shrews! we’ve had shrews on our campground before and they look pretty similar. I could be wrong, though!