Fan Dunce

Here at the Bad Idea Foundation, our researchers work tirelessly on dubious ideas for your entertainment, such as this ceiling fan placed too close to a cupboard.

1. bob drummond says:

2. I hope this doesn’t qualify as nuffing, but I think the laughing guy put something tempting on the fan blade to entice the kitty to make the jump– so he could capture it on YouTube™. If so, it’s not funny, it borders on cruel.

3. it’s hard not to find nuffing in the cutehood anymore. i guess your comment kind of borders on nuffing, but let’s leave it here so other people don’t get carried away.

4. I know at least for my cat (and I’m sure others can vouch), she pretty much just wants to try and get anywhere that’s high up and she’s never been before. From where that cat is standing, it’s just a flat plank asking to be jumped upon! The notion of walking somewhere precarious is usually temptation enough for kitties :)

5. wannadance says:

nah. that’s just cats for ya…

6. Rachael says:

Cupboard is a funny word if you look at it without saying it out loud. :)

7. bob drummond says:

Looks like a bunch of wall units to me !!!

8. bookmonstercats says:

*Drum roll*

*Cymbal crash*

9. ooooh, I bet the nuffers’ll show up soon…

10. *sigh*

i’m off to make a big batch of cinnamon rolls and restock the bar.

11. 260Oakley says:

Better keep your head down. The kit’s about to hit the fan.

12. Tessamo says:

I just about put coffe through my nose on that one, Oakley. Well done!

13. I believe it/he just did !

14. alwayscataddict says:

Threadjack – I’m sorry to do this, but I am desparately seeking a new home for a 4 yr old male blue point Siamese. He is an affectionate, playful cat but really wants to be an only cat. Unfortunately, he has attacked my other two cats three different times, I can no longer keep him. If you live in the DFW area and may know someone interested in giving him a loving home, please contact me for further info at Jennifer.mathews at Thank you for reading this.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program…..

15. I live in the DFW area but am already servant to one chubby kitty. Does your Siamese absolutely must be the only child in the house? Perhaps he just doesn’t get along with males/females? or a particular breed? Do you think he would do well in a cage? I have a pretty large cat condo that I could use to separate them for a while to acclimate him, but he would eventually have to come out…And what exactly does he do when you say he “attacks?” I wish I could take him! But I totally understand you when you say you have to protect the others first

16. alwayscataddict says:

Its a full on physical battle. You would think they were mortal enemies instead of just different creatures of the same species. Male or female – doesnt matter, I have one of each, both rescue – 1 tuxie, 1 part siamese/part ????. Not sure what kind of cat condo you’re taking about that would isolate, but would be interested in seeing picture/maybe borrowing. He does have a room that I keep him separated from the others in, After spending an hour on the phone today with director of Siamese Cat Rescue in TX, she’s gave me a lot of advice. Cat condo may work in with that. SRC is also willing to continue to give me guidance. Siamese are apparently much more difficult to train & integrate, but she said if it works, its well worth the effort.

17. Rachael says:

I’m not in the DFW area and I’m not looking for a cat… but I wish you and your little guy the best of luck. *hug*

18. alwayscataddict says:

Thanks – he really is an awesome cat – cuddly, playful, affectionate, smart and it goes against everything I believe in to give up an animal that I’ve taken into my home, but I have to protect the others.

19. luvstehQte says:

i’m sure it must be terribly difficult, but i think you’re making the best decision possible, for everyone. i’m far away and allergic to cats, so i can’t help you there, but i wish you all the best of luck!

20. What an odd place to hang a clock !!!

21. wannadance says:

also: that fan is not spinning, is it? i doubt my sanity at times like this..

22. Yakov Smirnov says:

In Soviet Russia, clock hangs you…

23. lol, I thought that too – maybe there was already a nail in the wall there…

24. wannadance says:

which is exactly how i arrange my art and scarves and necklaces and coat racks and clocks. why mess with the infinite, i always say…

25. “The Bad Idea Foundation”!1 NOMTOM, you kill me, you just do. Thank you.

26. Emmberrann says:

No pic! Big Black Square! *pouts*

27. About 9 years ago, my then-kitten Ursula did the same thing, leaping from the stairs to the blade of the ceiling fan. She was little enough not to fall right away. The fan managed one slow revolution before she freaked and fell/jumped off. That one can still bring laugh-tears to my eyes.

28. kibblenibble says:

I’m too scared to watch. :-(

29. If it helps anyone to know this, the fan is not rotating, and the cat lands safely on its feet.

30. Hopefully, that cat will not do THAT again!

31. wannadance says:

oh, yeah, it will, multiple times, i betcha. it really looks like fun to me.\\message from the Rehab….no joke..

32. wannadance says:

not THAT kind of rehab; the other kind…

33. I wonder…maybe the cat has tried it before? I never manage to flim my kittehs doing cute/funny/silly things unless I can predict the sequence of events (because they’ve done it previously).

34. kibblenibble says:

Thanks, NOMTOM. You gave me the courage to watch, and it was funny and not scary. I should know better. CO always serves up high quality Qte!

35. wannadance says:

thank you, oh, thank you, my dear…when are we going to set the wedding date? are you stalling, mayhaps?

36. any internships open at the Bad Idea Foundation? I bet headquarters is a riot

37. fleurdamour says:

I bet it’s like the set of Jackass.

38. Internships, heck, I should get the equivalent of the Bad Ideas MacArthur grant.

39. wannadance says:

or the Stand ‘n’ Clap prize for the person, most demented, with the best bad idea.
    no contest. runs through the closet, decides to wear whatever falls on me…

40. I am trying valiantly NOT to imagine it.

41. They were going to build it next to the heaquarters for the Darwin Awards but well, you know.

42. skippymom says:

Eddy would do this, except he’s so fat he would pull the fan right out of the ceiling.

43. 6rabbits says:

Thanks! I just snorted coffee out my nose!!

44. *Explosive spontaneous laughter* here.

45. 13bodies says:

So, have Russian kittehs always been crazy and we’re just now finding this out thanks to the internet?

If so, Thanks, internet!

Also, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

46. wannadance says:

they’ve always been crazy. the rehab mascots…

47. Kamakazi kitty?
    I had to watch through my fingers. The suspense was killing me.

48. Oh you had to know he was going to jump. With that look on his face…

49. On the plus side, that particular fan blade no longer needs dusting. Wonder if I can convince my fluffy kitty to try that.

50. victoreia says:

That was my first thought, too, TOOJ!

At one point, I was in a very small bedroom, and a wardrobe was positioned near the ceiling fan. Kyuri decided to explore the top of the wardrobe one evening; his mommy nearly had a heart attack until the fan stopped moving and he jumped down from the wardrobe. (Yes, I turned off the fan as soon as I saw the tail on the wardrobe…. 8-O )

51. True. Always a silver lining!

52. Theresa says:

As soon as I saw “Bad Idea Foundation” I recognized the hand of NTMTOM. Thanks Mike, I needed a laugh badly, and this is a doozey. :lol:

53. Mary (the first) says:

“Fan Dunce”! hahahahahaha

54. Alice Shortcake says:

For some reason I imagine the ‘Mission Impossible’ theme playing in the background…

55. … with a quick segue into “Yakkity Sax.”. ;)

56. Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the fan-dangle?

57. Lerrinus says:

*falls off chair laughing* :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

58. bob drummond says:

59. …ME

60. Do they wear Bad Idea jeans at the Bad Idea foundation?

61. fleurdamour says:

62. I’m wondering if the shoddy wallpapering/ceiling paper is also due to the Bad Idea Foundation’s researcher or just the general state of Russian apartments?

63. We have a similar situation in our townhouse. The top of the china cabinet is pretty close to the ceiling fan and our kitty used to like getting up there quite a lot. She would have jumped on it, had we not stopped her!!! I guess this proves to me that I had reason to be concerned! I doubt this guy put anything up there to entice the cat. A flat, shelf-like high spot is enough to entice any cat to jump onto it! You know what they say about curiosity and cats!

64. Interesting – I’m usually the first one here to criticize when anything is anywhere near cruel (in my eyes), but with this it didn’t even cross my mind until I read some comments. Hope the guy didn’t entice the kitty and hope he’ll never have the cat do it with the fan on!… [Now I hope I can get that image out of my mind! It’s already cluttered with other pictures that I don’t want there.. ].

65. how funny i have a wild one at home too