This beach is a total drag, man

Judging from the deep tire er, paw tracks in the sand, we’re guessing that Mr. McPuppersons is treating this trip to the beach like he would a trip to the vet. Or over to see the cat next door. And let’s just not forget those Prosh-To-The-Max Tocks©.

Forwarded our way from Mrs. Brinke.

Comments

1. *pulls out clipboard & measuring tape*
    mm hmm… yes…
    *jots notes*
    it’s affirmative.
    puppeh ‘tocks are the best ‘tocks.

2. i don’t really think this is ‘cute’ and shouldn’t be shown here. it looks to me like the pup-pup is being almost terrorized. it’s obvious he/she is mortified to be near that water and the owner shouldn’t be dragging/forcing the pup that way. bad move cute overload – i’ve been a fan for years but this isn’t cute or amusing to me in any way.

3. 260Oakley says:

Wow, tracylee, are you a professional ‘tocksicologist?

4. I kinda had the same reaction. Those “tracks” look like drag marks to me.

5. luvstehQte says:

send me the ‘tocks report, STAT!

6. Madame X says:

Ahem! Howzabout bunny ‘tocks? Hammy ‘tocks? Llama ‘tocks? And… PANDA ‘TOCKS?!???!

I refuse to prioritize ‘tocktitude proshness! Not all ‘tocks are created equal, and that puppeh’s are a prime example of ‘tockcellence (‘toxellence?), but let not the perfection of the ‘tocks before us blind us to the perfection of ‘tocks we’ve yet to see…

7. This is NOT cute in any way. Look af those drag marks, that´s not a happy pup.

8. Blue Footed Booby says:

They’re obviously dragmarks, but it’s still adorable, and also hilarious.

When I was a little kid, I went to a museum with my parents that had a big animatronic t-rex. That thing terrified me, and I wanted to hide from it. You know what my mom did? She took me right up to it and poked one of its toes. Suddenly the t-rex wasn’t so scary, because I saw it couldn’t hurt me. A parent’s job isn’t to hide children away from anything that scares them, it’s to help them get over it. The same goes for our furry children. When Mr. Puppers actually gets in the water, chances are he’ll have fun, and if he doesn’t *then* daddy can take him back up the beach.

And in any case, I’d like to point out that when puppies are little you can’t always tell you’re dragging them until you look down and see that no voluntary locomotion is occurring. Guy might have looked down yet.

9. kodalai says:

How appropriate that I just found this:

10. No, mommy, noooooo.

11. Rachael says:

Puplet has probably never been near a body of water so he’s timid about a new experience. I don’t think he’ll be scarred for life and he might even find he loves hanging out at the beach. It’s also possible he’s never been on a leash before and that’s the cause of his anguish.

12. I agree – this is NOT the way to introduce the puppy to water. I guarantee this will NOT “make” him/her like it. It just makes the puppy distrust it’s owner more. To drag a puppy unwillingly is a very poor way to treat someone you love. Would you drag your kid and force them into the water?

13. wow, madame, that last bit is downright biblical! love eet :D

14. ffleur2 says:

*sniff*
    *sniff*
    is it….?
    Do I smell….?

Yes, indeed. I smell a hint of commentversy

15. phred's mom says:

True, true, Rachael, but this baby is scared. Human
    dad should just stand with him for a minute, talking
    to him, till he gets the idea that this will be FUN.
    I want to kees him and snuggle him, maybe sit
    with him in the surf. It would be kinder. He’ll
    be ok.

16. SlaveToCat says:

The first trip into the water is always the most terrifying. But, once the pup learns there are sticks, balls, and frisbees in there, he will always be jumping in the water every chance he gets.

Could be the pup is part cat?? Must spend the afternoon pondering this one.

17. victoreia says:

Two words: Giant. Bath.

18. Pups must be exposed to as many new experiences as possible, if that means sometime you have to push/drag them a little it’s OK. That’s how you end up with a balanced dog and not a neurotic one that’s afraid of everything.

19. awww poor puppie. he’s so a-scareds! mom/dad should sit with him at waters edge to slowly reassure he’s not in danger. cute but sad :(

20. I must haf eet!

21. I submit the following: having raised three dogs from puppeh-hood, I can attest to the need to sometimes “throw ‘em in the pool to teach ‘em to swim”. The key is to be there with reassuring hands and voice to reinforce that the experience is good once the initial fear is overcome. If I’d NOT done that, baths, ear-cleaning, the hair dryer, vacuum cleaner, and a myriad of other experiences would be intolerable.
    *hops off soapbox*

TOCKS! TOCKS! TOCKS!!!! Yeay!

22. YES Gigi. Absolutely. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

23. my mom pushed me off a diving board and i ended up on the high school swim team. of course i can only participate in competitive dog paddling, but still!

24. skippymom says:

I thought it was more Shakespearean….

25. Kari Callin says:

” Where are we going? You said somewhere fun but I don’t ….hold up. What IS THAT?! Oh my word. It is the BIGGEST BATHTUB EVER! NOOOOOOO! Don’t make me go! I had a bath 2 weeks ago! I promise! Nooooooo!!!!”

26. Maybe puppeh is sneaking up on the water, stealthily and in a scootchy fashion, not being dragged. He just happens to be on wet sand and could be leaving scootchy marks that wouldn’t show up on, say, a floor when he’s sneaking up on a squeaky toy. Happy thoughts, people.

27. I knew people would freak the moment they saw it.

Yes, he’s being dragged but they could be using a soothing voice. You can see the spot where they stopped momentarily. You don’t know what’s happening. I was heaved in the water by two sailors and I learned. Dogs don’t understand complex speech patterns, just action. See dad going in first? Soon enough he’ll be bigger than the waves and jump in like the air is dangerous.

28. Not cute.

29. Personally, I think they’re the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

30. (*snicker*)

31. “scootchy fashion” made me smile.

32. 260Oakley says:

Oy, e-nuff is e-enuff! Maybe the puppy is not unhappy at being dragged toward the ocean, but is resisting being dragged away from the delicious smelling pile of fish guts he just found on the beach. Regardless, there is so much genuine animal cruelty out there that needs our attention. Let’s reserve our righteous ire for that, OK?

33. 260Oakley says:

Oh dear, does the Mod Lounge have an ocean-front location? Can a sista’ get a frozen margarita?

34. rescue gal says:

Stuck in moderation. Bet I will be jailed here forever. I know that comment will never make it. :(

35. rescue gal says:

Sorry, but it is not a good recommendation to drag and animal by the neck to force them to do what you want. There are much better ways.

36. Alice Shortcake says:

“…no voluntary locomotion is occurring.” I must use that phrase at the earliest possible opportunity!

37. The Original Jane says:

He’ll get back at his owner when he shakes all the water off of him. :)

38. Tracylee I applaud your ability to provide a tocks report and showing restrain from nomming on those soft velvety earsies.

39. Totally agree Gigi. I don’t think that this owner is dragging the dog by the neck rescue gal. As Blue Footed Booby pointed out, puppies are small and sometimes an owner can’t tell that voluntary locomotion is not occurring. I’m sure this owner isn’t that cruel. I had gently taken my dog to the water as a puppy and put her front paws in, and afterwards when she still didn’t like it, I picked her up and took her in the household….and she’s never been in large bodies of waters since (and she’s now 8). She loves baths though.

40. Trix and Sam, I’m sure you also gently helped them go up and down the stairs. I remember when my pup was little and she was deathfully afraid of the stairs. But, with some gentle cheering and treats, she learned to conquer the stairs. Of course, now she’ll bound up and down them…sometimes knocking me out of the way while she chases something she threw down the stairs…but that’s another story :)

41. *giggles*

42. Mods? ….ah well. What’s for nibbles and drinks?

43. Strawberry or lime? I gots both!

44. 260Oakley says:

Both it is then!

45. I have a coffee cheesecake with choc. drizzle on top on the buffet for the party tonight Rescue gal. If you grab a piece “forever” might not be too bad . ;oD

46. skippymom says:

You have parties on Wednesday nights? Wild life you lead.

47. You betcha, Emmylee. “Forced” exposure does not mean it’s a bad or totally negative experience. Puppers don’t have the ability to listen to reason, so they have to learn through forced exposure with the appropriate mix of reassurances and positive reinforcement to learn about it and to lose their fears.

And I love your story about the stairs. My Sammy FLIES up and down them like a bat out of you know what.

Oh, one more thing: Sam was so fearful of my kissing him on the forehead. He wanted nothing to do with it and would scramble out of my arms if I got anywhere near his head. It took a bit of slow, deliberate, “that’s a good boy!” and treats to finally get him to relax in my arms. Now he seeks out the attention and closeness.

48. That’s sometimes referred to as a swirly, Oak.

49. Brilliant! That explains everything! (Not being a dog person, bath time didn’t occur to me as something to avoid)

50. You’re making a judgment based on one picture. How about lightening up and not taking your preconceived judgments so seriously?

51. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

I absolutely agree with you. No animal should be forced to do anything it obviously doesn’t want to do. This is not cute.

52. *hands Oakley one of each, and a third with a mixed concoction :) *

53. 260Oakley says:

Oakley breaks into an ear-splitting chorus of “I’m just a girl who can’t say No.”

54. Yes, I thought the same thing !! ;-(

55. amensky.

56. The thing is, this happens a lot with almost any dog. Ours do this when we take them to the vet, or the bath, or the park, or outside in the rain…

At some point, it stops being sad and just gets funny. Or at least, it has to for your sanity ;)

57. ogeminijune says:

THANK YOU!

58. Has anyone else noticed an alarming increase lately of images/video that depict an animal’s distress? I used to come here to relax and escape stupid humans, but it’s starting to get ridiculous. Poor pup.

59. Mamabear says:

My animals do not want to:
    Take a bath
    Get a fecal done
    Get shots
    Have their…glands expressed
    (when they were young) Walk on a leash
    Get their toe nails trimmed
    Stay

There are lots of things that animals and children do not want to do. Many are assuming (and you know what that can lead to) that this puppy is terrified of the water and not even thinking that he’s learning to walk on a leash.

The whole business of talking nicely and resoning, bargaining, coercing, pleading, baby talking…to get a dog to simply walk on a leash is not the way to teach a dog. It’s certainly not how puppies learn from their moms. Can’t imagine mama dog quietly explaining the importance of staying with her for safety and happy walks in the future.

When my 20 year old was about 4, we went to the ocean and played in the sand and the hubby and I caught tiny crabs to show to him. He wouldn’t get within 25 feet of us despite the fact that they were about 1/2″ across. Finally, I grabbed his hand and placed a crab in it while he yelled about how it was going to pinch him.

After 10 seconds or so with dad holding his hand in place, he realized that he was NOT being attacked and that, like we told him, the crab was not out for blood. It wasn’t long until he was catching his own critters (and letting them go right after, of course) and studying them and learning.

He is a happy and inquisitive young man now despite us dragging him along “by the leash” (a euphemism) on several occasions. In short, he is a well-behaved “adult dog” (another euphemism).

The waves are small, no foam. I hardly think that this person brought their pup to the ocean to torture, terrorize, or drown it.

*Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. I see it almost every day. Humans who are too moynya moynya to teach their dogs manners. Trying to carry in a now 65# dog because the it doesn’t want to walk on a leash!*

60. Animal distress is NOT cute. No way, nohow. It’s bad enough when morons post it on YouTube. Come on, CO.

61. They can be exposed without being physically dragged.