It Was the Duck, I Tell You!

You gotta believe me! There he was, thrashing your favorite sofa! Well, I wasn’t about to let him get away with that, so I grab the phone book, and start pounding him! But then, outta nowhere, he pulls out this weed whacker and shreds it! It was all I could do to get it away from him, too! I’m, ah, sure it’s here somewhere…

Comments

1. CathyDee says:

The Yellow Pages are obsolete now anyway . . . …Scooter was just trying to help jump-start the recycling process.

2. Marathon: check. Ice-swimming: check. All-in poker tournament: check. Arizona mountain hike: check. Diving with sharks: check. Vine-rope leap: check. Staying mad at a sad puppy: ……… impossible.

3. thoughfulmomma says:

Adorable dog, though. Little butthead…

4. But Mom, I’m so cute, how can you be mad at me??? :~)

5. Rule #1 of Fight Club: Don’t blame the Boston Terrier.

Rule #2 of Fight Club: Don’t blame the Boston Terrier

6. skippymom says:

Bad duck! Naughty, naughty duck!

7. anonymouse says:

Scooter uses cute-sad eyes!
    It’s effective! *rolls on back* XD

8. Jackie Rose says:

That’s what Scooter’s mommy gets for leaving Scooter home alone. I used to have a cat that would tear up paper when he got bored.

9. rescue gal says:

I don’t like her tone with dog. Jackie Rose is right- the dog is doing that out of boredom or stress…….not because he is “bad”.

10. Sasha's Mum says:

ITA. And the public shaming? That’s just wrong. (Not to mention counter-productive.)

11. Highlights:
    “I don’t see any mess” eye shifties at 0:33
    and “Yes, but I am so cute, rub my belleh!!” at 1:07.

12. My problem would be the mixed messages of her endearing tone and reproving words, which the dog translate as “wah wah wah, wah wah wah wah.”

If you’re going to scold the dog, scold him so that he knows, Don’t use your gentle, baby voice and then punish him six hours later after you clean up and have uploaded the video to youtube and all of your friends.

13. Rachael says:

They seem to think that allowing their hooman to rub their tummy will make up for their naughty deeds. Oddly enough, this always works in my house. :)

I never say the word “bad” to one of my doglets. Naughty, yes, but bad? Never.

14. If you don’t catch them in the act, scolding is useless. Scooter has absolutely no idea what she’s talking about at this point. Simply clean up the mess without saying anything to the dog and find a way to keep him occupied when he’s home alone so he won’t trash something valuable.

15. skippymom says:

Um, I guess I’m glad I can’t hear the sound.

16. Fird Birfle says:

it looks as though the canine quadruped is just about to say “….AND?????”

17. Fird Birfle says:

LOVE this.

18. Fird Birfle says:

oh my goo’ness, folks. You would REALLY enjoy my True Bit, about The Dogue of our Next-Door Neighbors in Alexandria, VA and her (The Dogue’s) conflict with their Brand New Linoleum Kitchen Floor. But it’s kinda “Alice’s Restaurant” in length ….suffice it, for the moment, to say that The Dogue won the battle; that The Dogue was a Hot Dog Dog…AND that The Dogue had (MOST UNFORTUNATELY AND INACCURATELY) been given the
    *choke/ wheeze* name “Darling”.

*choke*
    *gag*

Signed,
    I Was NOT impressed.

19. OK, every time a picture of a corgi gets me thinking about getting a dog, I’m going to re-watch this video.

(Makes cleaning up the occasional hurled hairball seem like nothing, doesn’t it?)

20. Theresa says:

“and the problem would be??”

21. Theresa says:

Before anybody (actually after somebody) gets all judge-y about this little booger’s people, I can tell you straight up and down that if I were this little booger’s person, he would be the SPOILEST-ROTTEN little booger in creation. And he could chew my house down, but I would still rub that belleh.

22. SoCrates says:

Here, here, Theresa!! I agree! I have 2 boston and 1 frenchie for fur babies. They are absolutely spoiled rotten. I don’t even have to say anything when one or more are naughty. They do the guilty head tuck as soon as I look at them!

23. They know if you show them. Not saying you have to shove their nose in it old school style, but they can still make the connection.

24. at 1.11 ‘….Yeah! I did. So just shut up about it an’ rub my bellah woman, like you know you want to.’

25. SlaveToCat says:

I swear I saw a cat sneak out of the room.

26. Theresa says:

PS: Another sterling performance by NTMTOM! You do us proud, sir!

27. phred's mom says:

don’t blame you.

28. phred's mom says:

I totally agree. The first time I watched this, I cringed. The poor
    pooch hasn’t a clue and is hearing confusing messages with her
    tone of voice. He’s got separation anxieties when she’s absent,
    and SHE AIN’T HELPING HIM A BIT! Ah has spoken.
    (If you’re old enough to get this reference, pass the Ensure, pls.

29. ha! you know it.

30. amhabbershaw says:

I’m not sure Scooter knows he did something bad…

31. loribelle says:

Fird! We live in the same dog-crazy city!

32. Boston Terriers are MASTERS of the “guilt face”. It’s the toughest thing to stay cheesed off at them for even a second with that face going and yes, I believe Scooter knew what he did and, judging by his reaction, it doesn’t seem that he is in fear of his people. Methinks the humans have seen this and possibly worse, yet still love this Boston boogerbutt.

33. Southern Fried Pugs says:

Phred’s Mom, closer to Ensure than Pedialyte, but completely heart Lil Abner! Julie Newmar before she was Catwoman, Valerie Harper, Donna Douglas and Stubby Kaye! PS, have you seen The Ballad of Cat Ballou? There’s no Jack S. like our Jack S.!

34. The ears-back position in Boston terriers is an apology!

35. I’m 28 and I got the reference. :) Then again, I live in the Ozarks of Missouri, and my dad recorded it off of television one day and labeled the tap: L’il Abner: A History of Stone County. :) Also, I’m a musical nut.

36. Anonymoose says:

Oh wicked, bad, naughty, EVIL duck!

37. If I had to listen to that annoying voice every day I would tear shit up too!

38. Andi from NC says:

exactly!!!!

39. Andi from NC says:

I thought the very same thing – I like to think of them as the “Ears of Shame”

40. Andi from NC says:

whoa – my first trip to the mod lounge – kinda empty on the 4th….

41. How can someone that innocent look that guilty? …Or is it the other way around?

42. No, sorry, they don’t know. They really don’t make the connection between their actions and a reward or punishment unless it is *immediately* after a behavior. Like, within a second or so. After that, it is too late and they won’t connect it. What looks like “guilt” hours after the fact is that you have taught them “when the floor is a mess, I get yelled at/punished.” but they don’t connect it to anything they did hours in the past.

43. Fird Birfle says:

that DOES sound like the right dialogue for his face!!

44. Fird Birfle says:

a most-excellent choice of phrasing, ma’am !!!

45. Fird Birfle says:

YAY

loribelle, at the time, we lived near one end of Fort Hunt Park and on a street called Old Stage Road (zip is 22308).

I MISS livingk near all them Smithsonian bldgs!!! BTW, me da’ was working/ Pentagon in the 1970s and for the 4th/ July, a stack of us Thomas kids piled into (LITERALLY) our huge green station wagon down to DC and we watched the Bicentennial 4th fireworks from (? mebbe the 12th floor I don’t know really on which floor) his Pentagon office with huge picture windows that faced onto the National Mall!!! One of the prettiest fireworks events I’ve ever watched.

*sigh*

46. januaryfarmer says:

This is why we have dog crates and doggie day care.

47. Southern Fried Pugs says:

Hee hee! Grew up in the Ozarks of Arkansas. 7 miles from Dogpatch! Musicals are my favorite movies.

48. snurfles says:

This dog is obviously very well loved. He may not know what he did but he knows mommy is annoyed with him, hence the guilty look and baring the belly. It’s a submissive behavior and it works quite well as we all witnessed in this video. LOL! I couldn’t stay mad at that little face, either.

49. yolanda says:

Awesome example of how not to train a dog and what happens when you persist in treating him like a reasoning human. A: don’t leave stuff in reach. b: don’t leave an untrustworthy dog loose alone. c: the dog doesn’t understand anything but a few choice words and your tone. All that dog heard was his name in a growl when you came home pointing the device around. No idea why you were growling at him or what point you were making, so he just presented correct submissive posture which then correctly solicited the pack leader’s forgiveness. Scooter does not know what he did, although he likely has a sense that the mess he made is excessive.
    A dog needs enough toys around his area that he never lacks for something to put his frustration into, especially when he’s trapped away from his pack for an unknown time. Leaving and returning should always be done as nonchalant as possible without letting the dog participate in the salutation stuff humans does. The dog mistakes these affection parties as emotional displays of insecurity, which they often are. (don’t forget to kiss in case something happens and it’s the last kiss?)
    Dogs are important people who helped our species evolve into intelligent beings. They’ve been our companions since before we were human. But they are not human.

50. mplsdeb says:

“Mom” is a dufus. Poor Scooter is just anxious and alone. If you don’t want your stuff chewed on, then kennel him or put him in a room with his bed. We put our dachsies in our first floor powder room with their beds….and the TP out of sigh :)

51. Kelley O says:

And then….. (i probably can’t say that here, can I?)

52. tape, not tap. Thank you, decongestant.

53. loribelle says:

I work right across from Air and Space. Now that security is so tight, there isn’t an option for fireworks-viewing from window offices. But I doubt there is anything more patriotically stirring than singing the national anthem facing the flag flying at the Capitol before the concert starts!

54. I know mine know what’s going on when they’re ‘bad’. Example, there was a little tiff between husky and pug, hours later, long after the reprimand was over and everything was normal, the husky kept coming into the room and licking the pug’s head and looking sad. There was NO reason for him to do that, except for the fact he knew what he did. Sure, the recent articles are saying ‘they only know the floor shouldn’t be messy’, which may be true in some instances, but definitely not all. I watched a show on PBS where they ran a bunch of tests and dogs were as capable as a 2 year old… and I’m pretty sure they know right from wrong.

55. If you ask me mom is the BAD one here….Scooter is just expressing his feelings. Something is going on there if he needs to tear up the place. Besides….how dare she not melt with that beautiful face. I would be on the floor apologizing to him for not paying attention while rubbing his belly. :)