Dogs and Cats, Living Together!

Mass(ively cute) hysteria!

Comments

1. What a great way to start my Saturday!! Too sweet!

2. edmundh says:

Ebony, and I-voriieee!

3. I’m sorry to be a bummer here but this video just strikes at my heart. Last Saturday my boyfriend and I adopted an 8 week old kitten from the shelter to become a companion for my 8 year old German Shepherd. My dog absolutely loved this kitten and so did we. I’d never been a fan of cats but she was the sweetest, most affectionate, most playful kitten I’ve ever met, and I fell in love. My dog followed this kitten everywhere like her shadow (never touching, just licking sometimes); we took them on “walks” outside together… it was a wonderful week. This past Thursday night we came back from the gym and found the kitten had died. She was laying on the ground with no broken bones, she did not look trampled on, but she had a bit of blood coming out of our nose and mouth… We’re just not sure how she died; maybe my dog got too excited and whacked her just the wrong way, maybe it was a congenital issue. I feel so guilty either way. We’ve all been devastated by this and I cannot stop crying. We took her to the vet’s to be cremated last night after work but we miss her so much. Any kind words any of you might have for our kitten would be greatly appreciated. Her name was Dot. We love you and miss you baby Dot.

4. So enchanting!

5. How lover-ly. Put a big smile on my face.

6. Mariana says:

oh… must be the portuguese peacefull ways! so sweet!

7. Jeeeeeez guys ! It’s only 8:00 am & I’m already a puddle of goo !

8. The hug @ :14 just made mah head splode.

9. AWW :D How sweet :D

10. Fird Birfle says:

*collapses into puddles of little tiny gummy heart-shaped candies*

11. Alice Shortcake says:

*bends down, picks up tiny gummy heart-shaped candy, puts it in mouf, reads above post, removes tiny gummy heart-shaped candy from mouf*

12. That is the very definition of Interspecies Snorgling.

13. can there possibly be any words? i don’t think so. just know that there are many, many people out there who are clutching their hearts and feeling a very, very familiar ache. i hope it helps you feel surrounded by love and tears of healing. i’m so sorry.

14. bob drummond says:

My sympathies to you and your husband and your shepard . I realize this is a devastating loss and so sudden especially to such a young animal which you didn’t have but a very short time !

15. anonymous coward says:

all my sympathies from me also.
    your story truly strikes too close to home too. my 16yo feline ‘daughter’, not even two months after extensive pro-active testing to ensure no hidden problem & being declared in good shape for her age with a few years ahead of her, is now dying. it is truly devastating to see your cat/dog/*.* suddenly decline in just a few weeks and not understand what happened.

cats/dogs/birds won’t ask you for fancy cell phones, the car keys, a playstation, whatever… can be very content with, say, just an cardboard box and a ball… and yet, are definitively not easy to take care of. it’s like a human baby, you have to guess for them, you have to find out by yourself that there is something wrong. but then, their presence & antics can make it all worthwhile in the end.

Mary, hang in there. it hurts, but time will dull the sadness and the pain.
    trust me, i know.

be strong!

ac

16. Robin McKiernan Kiesel says:

Dear Mary and family, I am so, so sorry for your loss. As Sharpy said, there are no words that anyone can say that would give you comfort. Healthy kittens are relatively sturdy little beings. It seems probable to me that perhaps it was an undetected illness. So, I hope you get some small comfort from knowing that you rescued this little one and gave her the joy of belonging to a loving family before the end of her short life.

17. Thank you so much, to everyone who’s been replying. It really helps to read all of your kind words. The first few days after a death are just the worst… I keep surprising myself all day by realizing I really, for real can’t go back in time and hold her again. I’m sure many of you know the feeling. :(

anonymous coward, you’re so right about how easy animals are to please. We bought Dot a ton of toys and were so excited to spoil her, but she ignored them all in favor of things like a hair on the floor… I’m so sorry to hear about your ‘daughter’ and hope you stay strong for yourself and for her. My dad is extremely attached to his Papillon who is getting quite old, and he refuses to acknowledge that the dog will eventually die. Instead he refers to it as ‘when Checkers decides to return home on his spaceship’. Maybe it will help us to think of it like that, if it’s not too weird. :)

18. Mary I’m so sorry. Your dog sounds like he was careful and gentle with her, I don’t think it was intentional if he did get too close or forgot how fragile kittens are.

Regardless, your pup is going to need some extra hugs and loving for now.

You did give her a good, loving home and I hope that you can find solace in what you did for her.. .

19. Rachael says:

Mary, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that, in time, only the happy memories will remain. It sounds like you are feeling guilty – please don’t do that to yourself. Keep your heart open and maybe another sweet and needy little kitty will find its way to you. My prayers are with you.

20. Fird Birfle says:

sorry ’bout that, Alice ;)

21. cutest vid ever

22. Emmberrann says:

(((Mary))) Snf. I still miss my late-and-much-beloved Mr. Picky, and am not ready yet to commit my life to keeping company with another kitteh-bebeh. It’s almost as if I can hear him still around the house, sitting and accusing me with his tail pointing straight at me, and/or silently or crankily miaowing at me to a) freshen his water dish, b) put some kitteh-kibble in his (emply) food dish, or c) move over in our chair so he can sit in it with me, or maybe all three. Inaminnit, I’m going to start blubberling all over again.

23. victoreia says:

((((((hugs to Mary, et al))))))

24. Mary (the first) says:

So sorry.. ((hugs)) to the other Mary, too.

25. I’m so sorry for your loss.

26. I can only add my best thoughts to the kindly comments of the other readers.
    I have – over the 76 years of an eventful life – learned to live with loss – but I know how hard it can strike when it happens.
    It is better to Have loved and LOST, than never to have loved.

27. Mary,i’m sure your heart broken, and i am sorry for your loss.I have 9 cats and have both cats and dogs at the same time so i do understand,but you cannot leave an 8 week old cat with a dog,alone,they are just too young,It doesn’t matter that your dog is 8 years old it is still a dog and the kitten was not strong enough to defend itself.If you don’t want your heart broken again do not get a kitten or make your there to supervise.It wasn’t a smart move,and i can’t believe i’m the only one here to voice this opinion.

28. Queen of Dork says:

Oh gosh Mary. Hugs and love to you. Maybe it will help if I tell you a story. *grab Teddy bear* I just went outside to look at the sky. (Venus was STUNNING). While I was out there, this grey and white kitty came up to me and was like, “Hi!” I was all, “Hi!” Then, it began to do that thing cats do when they demand to be petted by forcing their head under you hand so that you have to pet it. Then, the kitty meowed and wound itself around my legs. I was beyond delighted! I have not petted a cat for almost a year. So that was a total treat. I gave the kitty some tuna and then it took off. I hope this kitty will come back and visit often :)

I hope, Mary, that you will feel better. Anyway, I know how you feel about losing a kitty. I have too. I miss my cat. But at least getting to pet that stray kitty was really great. If you want, I hope that you will have more kitties in your life. Even if they’re just strays who pop in to demand petting every now and then.

29. Hugs to Mary and her family. Loss of a loved pet is never easy and my prayers and thoughts are with you.
    {{{hugs}}}

30. Rachael says:

Emmberrann, you’ll know when you’re ready to give your heart away again. Don’t rush it and it will come.

31. 1. All these comments are making me feel warm and fuzzy about the Cuteoverload community. <3!

2. Dogs and cats living together….is that a Ghostbusters reference?

32. :cry: AWW :cry: I am so sorry to hear that, Mary :cry: (sending a BIG CYBER HUG)

33. Queen of Dork says:

You people on this site are the loveliest I’ve encountered in my whole life.

34. Andi from NC says:

indeed – one of Bill Murray’s best lines in the movie….

35. Andi from NC says:

perfectly stated….

36. laura3341, this is not the time or the place to be berating anyone. Especially when they don’t know for a fact that it was the dog. Try being a little compassionate.

The reason no one else has voice this “opinion” is because it’s completely inappropriate.

37. laura3341, you’re absolutely right. Please don’t think I don’t know what a stupid and arrogant fool I was for thinking my dog was “safe” and I could leave them alone together. Even if my dog did not cause the kitten’s death and even though she is not aggressive and has lived with a cat, it was still a stupid thing to do because accidents happen. I am wracked with guilt but this does not help the kitten or change anything. I know you’re lecturing me because you care a lot about cats and animals, but I assure you I care a lot about them too. While I was a poor grad student I paid more for my dog’s food than my own… I would do virtually anything for my animals.

Anyway, thank you for standing up for my kitten. We’re thinking of trying again after a while and after reading some books we got on kittens. We also had a little room set up for Dot but we would keep the door closed at first next time like we’ve read we should have done. Is there any advice you have since you have experience with dogs and cats? Should they have no interaction at all unless we’re holding the kitten until the kitten reaches a certain age?

38. What Rachael said. You did the best thing you knew how to do at the time, and gave her love. I’m sure the universe will not judge that harshly. Hugs to you.

39. fleurdamour says:

Friends with Beneful

40. I enjoy the Ghostbusters reference :)

41. This is an important instance of interspecies snorgling. Not only is it a dog and cat that are snorgling, but *they are snorgling like humans.*

42. Oh my god, I’m so sorry that happened, both for you and the special little baby ‘Dot’, hang on to the fact that you gave her love in her short but special life and she will live on in your heart. I’ve rescued many precious angels and at the moment I have 11 but each and every time one dies I am gutted but I hang on to that I gave them unconditional love and everything their precious hearts desired while they were here. I feel for you, go and hug your beautiful precious dog. When I was growing up we had a german sherpherd ‘Lady’ and a cat ‘Tramp’ who were the best of mates, it’s special to be a part of this.