I Really Need to Finish Moby Dick

I mean, it’s such an important work of literature… and that’s what I need to furnish my mind… important ideas, classic (yawn!) ideas… and it’s been on my to-do list for ages now… and I’ve been watching too much… TV lately… (yaaawn!) and did I mention it was important?… I really… just need… to… fin… zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jake T. fills in the backstory: “This is Mint-kun. He lives in Shimokitazawa in Tokyo. He likes dinosaurs but finds reading about them makes him very sleepy.”

Comments

1. Thats me every night when I attempt to study…

(except I’m not an adorable kitteh)

2. Am I really the first comment? This has never happened before. Since its only me an the kitteh… **reaches out to boop toe-beans**

You can boop toe-beans, right?

3. the “He likes dinosaurs” line really made me chuckle :)

4. 260Oakley says:

“Call me Fishmael.”

5. Wow! He’s already further than I ammmmmmmmzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

6. If my copy of Moby Dick had come with dinosaur pictures, I might have finished it, too.

Privacy bookmark! :mrgreen:

7. Snowpea says:

Ah, Japan really does have the most mellow cats in the world…

8. 6rabbits says:

ALL cute parts are “boopable”, Alissa! :-)

9. I have no idea where this cat is — has no one noticed the giant poster of a burger behind his head?? Did someone put a huge photo of a burger in their house, or is this cat at a restaurant?

10. ScoutsMom says:

Cats are funny people.

11. This picture just reminded me of when I was driving home today,this lady was crossing the crosswalk while reading and everyone in their cars watched her,then this guy had his laptop open and was also crossing!Cute picture…

12. Rachel-the cat is at a restaurant,you can see someone’s shoulder to the right and a dining area :)

13. 260Oakley says:

Or “Call me Swish-my-tail.”

14. emmberrann says:

You can boop any place you want, Alissa, but be prepared to Take The Consequences! Booping on the mouth might result in some pointy-end ackshuns that best would be avoided!

15. emmberrann says:

Or just call me early for breakfast.

16. I was thinking, “Hey! That’s katakana! And dinosaurs!” That cat, btw, would be me, studying kanji. Japanese is *hard*, yo!

17. victoreia says:

*snicker*

18. victoreia says:

But don’t call me Shirley!

19. victoreia says:

Well, he’s farther along with Moby Dick than I am…..as in, he has the book!

20. NurseNoir says:

Funny little tail. And Licorice All-Sorts toe beans!

21. I love that line, too, tracylee!

What an adorable kitty. I love the fact that someone seems to have turned that chair into a bed–I swear that Mint-kun is leaning against a pillow.

Does anyone out there know if “Mint-kun” means something in Japanese?

22. Fird Birfle says:

Truthiness is here.

23. Moby Dick and Ulysses* are two classic I was never able to finish. Never even started Middlemarch. Otherwise my record is clean. And yes, those feetsies look like bunny feets.

*whomever decided this was a classic was on drugs. As James wife said “why don’t you write stuff people want to read?” I like her.

24. Fird Birfle says:

I never had a class in which I was required to read MD, nor Ulysses, thanks be to any heavenly body who claims responsibility for that decision.

However, in either 10th or 11th-grade AP Soc. Studies, we were assigned to reading Hawthorne/ House/ Seven Gables. I’m sure that there exist innumerable raisons why one *should* study Hawthorne and/or that title.
    And I generally LURVE studying many types of litt’r’achu-a. And the title ain’t even that LONG, fer Pete’s sake.

BUT — CRIMINEY!!!! THAT they-uh is whatcha call a BORING DANG BOOK.

It took Hawthorne about four pages, to establish the manner in which Gurrl crossed the room in the house. The light, the shadow, the cost of the lumber from which Guy built the window frame in tha house. The color of the dusty lint. The food residue which had gathered underneath the kitchen counter.

ARRIGHT ARREDY Hawthorne. We GOT it. House, girl. NEXT action, please.

HARRUMPH.

Signed,
    (Believe it or not)
    Somebody who (USUALLY) LOVES reading.

25. I did finish Middlemarch. Twice, even. And I loved the miniseries that was on TV about 10 years ago. The audiobook is in my audible.com library.

But I’ve never had the guts to try Ulysses.

26. Fird Birfle says:

But we CAN call THIS one Shirley. (I think :) )

27. Fishmael *snerk*

28. bob drummond says:

HEY, BUDDY ! WATCH WHERE THE &#%$@ yer goin’ ! OY !!!

29. Mamabear says:

They allow cats in restaurants there? I would so decorate my house (kitchen, to be exact) with giant hamburger wallpaper.

30. Mamabear says:

Pic on his left looks like a Blue Tongued Skink.

31. wuyizidi says:

For me it’s War and Peace. The edition I got (it was a gift) had so much untranslated French in it. Plus there were so many characters, whenever I stop for a while, I’d forget and have to go back…

32. From Mad magazine…circa 1960’s

33. thelittlemyrmidon says:

Love the curled toesies

34. Mint-kun Related Information:

1. His name means peppermint, or mint. Pronounced Min-to in Japanese.

2. He is in fact sitting at a patio table of a Moss Burger, a popular (cheese)burger chain in Japan. I believe he had a big lunch and fell asleep.

Regards

35. victoreia says:

Am I interpreting the explanation correctly, that the cat lives in the restaurant?

36. Tokyo and Dinosaurs, This is not going to end well.

37. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera!

38. It’s not a Japanese word, so I’m guessing it’s just English for, Mint. :P

39. That’s wonderful!

40. Sleekityin says:

Can relate about War and Peace and needing to go back and check who was whom. Managed to read and enjoy Middlemarch (except the ending which was a bit of a washout in more ways than one). The one that I really struggled to finish was Lord of the Rings – the last 27 pages seem pretty superflous once you know that good has prevailed.

41. Rachael says:

I just love, love, LOVE this picture. It says so much about cats and the hoomans who adore them. He has a pillow to support his neck, a warm blankie across his “lap,” a big ploofy pillow to support his sizable girth and his favorite dinosaur book opened for his viewing pleasure. Love the privacy bookmark but it’s the curled toesies that put the icing on the kitty cake for me. I have two dogs – which I love beyond all reason – but this makes me want a cat in the worst (best?) way. Color me smitten.

42. Fird Birfle says:

a Most Astute Pernt.

43. Those hind feets are rather bunny-esque. :)

44. Kallisto73 says:

Yep, them feetz are precious feetz. Boop the toesies.

45. Saffron says:

My tabbeh Cheddar is not as smart as his brother, so I got him a copy of “Hoomins for Dummehs”.
    Although I tore out the chapter on “How to wake your hoomin at 5am” and the picture of where the human bladder is (as found in the “Tender Areas to Pounce on for FUN!” chapter).

46. dubyah1 says:

I love them all! And yes, the translation of ‘War and Peace’ makes a big difference, as does understanding that Dolly, Masha, Maria, and Marya Feodnorova can all the same character, with their pet names, french names and married names.
    May I recommend Jim Morton’s audiobook of ‘Ulysses’, read so beautifully by an Irishman, which steered me into understanding the middle bit.
    But at least read the first and last bits: poetry!

47. dubyah1 says:

Sorry, typo, ‘Norton’

48. You ARE smitten regardless of the color :lol: If your two dogs would accept a couple of cats in your home, I say get a couple of kitties, Rachael, and enjoy being a mom to two dogs and two cats :D

49. I have the original “Godzilla” on DVD that does NOT have Raymond Burr in it :) I highly recommend watching it :) That movie ROCKS :)

50. That picture makes me want to genlty put a bookmark in that book, very carefully remove it, put the book to one side, and then gently kiss that Mint-kun on his head before very quietly walking away to let him sleep :D

51. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Oh, this is sweet! Cats and books. My only complaint is that it’s not landscape-oriented, so I can’t use it as a desktop wallpaper. Poot.

52. caligirl says:

much agreed!

53. Clairdelune says:

Well, -kun is a suffix indicating a young male, so I assume the modesty taillio is hiding the boy goods… =)

54. Clairdelune says:

Oh goody, I was beginning to think that I was the lone holdout about Ulysses!!

55. Clairdelune says:

Ooooooh, you reminded me of Moss Burger!! I used to LOVE them, I had to take a train to go eat at one whenever I got homesick for a Burger King.

56. Clairdelune says:

Love the part about the human bladder… but my kitty already knows all too well where it’s located, and manages to find it around 4:30 AM. ={

57. lds7yrs says:

I KNOW one should let sleeping cats lie… but I also know me… would not be able to resist tickling those wittle curld’ed tosies!!