Remember to Hold On Tight!

This summer, send your kids to Camp Kemanawanaleeckya, with fun activities like hiking, canoeing, crafts, and all-new for 2012, rope-toy parasailing.

Awesome motion-blur action by Kittenutuk!

Comments

1. Love the camp name!

2. Doggeh looks 8O

3. It’s a great picture. But I’m worried about that dog’s teeth. I read somewhere never to “rough house” with your dogs like that strictly because of that. Not to mention, he could get hurt in other ways too. I don’t know, that’s just the first thing I see looking at this. Even though it’s a cool shot.

4. The first thing I see is a dog having fun. It’s always strange, how people can see the same thing so differently. :)

5. Saffron says:

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

6. Theresa says:

“Camp Kemanawanaleeckya” BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

7. NTMTOM should start a camp-naming service.

8. warrior rabbit says:

Run by Chief Kamanawanalea and the Royal Macadamian Nuts?

9. baileysgrandmom says:

But, but, but…how do you hold onto a rope-toy parasail (which MUST have taken at least 2 hands!) AND take a perfectly framed/posed/exposed/focused shot with a camera (which takes a minimum of 1 hand)…amirite? Oh, and happy goggie!

10. Theresa says:

Auwe!

11. I think the rope toy has a handle in the middle. I’ve seen them that way before. A stiff handle would create the “v” for the goggie to bite. Happeh goggie!

12. whoever wrote that about your pup’s toofers, seriously probably never had a pup. seriously. dogs’ teeth are stronger than superman. plus a jillion. never EVER heard of a dog losing a tooth to a biting and tearing motion. or any other. frankly, i’ll bet money no dog has ever lost a tooth period. ever. still got ‘em. even the fossilized ones. you could hang the internet from a kronsching dog, and have room left over for the gondola-poling industry. pretty sure.

13. i think the arc of the tailio creates just enough angular momentum to allow the camera to be operated with one ear.

14. bob drummond says:

Say What ?…………..HUH ?

15. Queen of Dork says:

The crafts/college preparatory projects at summer camp include (and are not limited to):

Frogs: Catch one but do not harm. Enjoy the green shade. Make a mackrome duplicate. (Extra credit available: Write an essay)

Swimming 101: Jump in the lake. Swim.

Smelling: Find the hidden fish. (Ihint: it’s not in the chimney.)

Cats: Don’t make a mackrome plant holder out of their fur. Stay away from them.

16. Michael says:

How the photo was taken is one mystery; to me, a greater one is, how is the dog holding on with just his lower teeth??? Does this pic show the split second before the dog goes flying off, propelled by centrifugal force?

I did this with a Doberman once (when I was younger, stronger AND less cautious) and she emerged unharmed, but she kept her mouth CLOSED. And I worried later if it had been foolish to have all of the dog’s feet off the ground at the same time. But my oh my, that pooch had a grip!

17. Fird Birfle says:

HA HA AND ALSO HA to you, ma’am

Q o D WINS!!!

18. Blossom says:

@blair – thanks for making me laugh on a crappy Sunday morning.

19. Blossom says:

I’m in the mod lounge!!! Is it too early for drinkies??

20. As a kid I had a dog named Duke, he was called that because his mother was called Princess and my 6 years old self decided the son of a princess had to be a duke.

Anyway, we played tug of war all the time with an old sock of my father and Duke’s would bite up the sock, his teeth would get closer and closer to my fingers until his nose touched my hands. Then he would let go but grab back the end of the sock before I when flying backwards on my butt and we would start the battle all over again. I still miss that dog.

21. Well, one thing I found out is that Kittenutuk is a FABULOUS photographer. Seriously. Follow the link below the goggie to her/his flickr page. OMG(oggie).

22. What s/he said. Couldn’t have put it better.

Seriously, whilst I wouldn’t have tried it e.g. with my children, I think only very old, or otherwise infirm doggehs would be in danger of losing toofs to a ripping, tearing, pulling, dragging game. It’s what they are designed for.

23. Saffron says:

WIN! :D

24. Blair, it would be great for you to back that up with some kind of information. Other than just your opinion. Unless you’re a vet yourself? Because I’d love for you to be right!

25. bookmonstercats, it would be great for you to back that up with some kind of information. Other than just your opinion. Unless you’re a vet yourself? Because I’d love for you to be right!

26. incontrovertible proof!

27. It would be good for you to back up what you said Laura. Just because you read it “somewhere” doesn’t make it true.

28. we have no hours! we are free to be you and squee!

29. LisaLassie says:

Blair, what a wonderful application of physics: no intelligent person would argue with this kind of logic.

30. warrior rabbit says:

No kidding! Some people always look for the negative…

I had a dog that was part pit, a breed with a notorious vise grip. We would play puppy pinwheel in much the same way as this photo. He loved it. We’d just twirl him around, and then gently lower him again until all four feet were back on the ground… Oh, good times.

A dog’s teeth and jaws are meant for this sort of action — tugging, rending. Originally of flesh, but a rope works just as well. :) It’s not like a kid, where you might dislocate a shoulder.

31. zing!

32. Weeee! Love happy goggies!

33. warrior rabbit says:

Laura, dogs have jaws and teeth that were built for gripping, pulling, tearing. They are very powerful. Tug of war is nothing to them but a fun activity, and a lot of people use it to wear their dogs out or as a reward.

Dogs have a bite force of up to 313 lbs, although the average is 58 lbs. Here are some journal articles you might find enlightening:
    Strom, D. and Holm, S. (1992) Arch. Oral Biol. 37: 997-1005
    Lindner, D. L. et al (1995) J. Vet. Dent. 12: 49-52
    For even more information about bite strength, there’s this study accessible online:

Tug is an encouraged activity between dogs and dog owners:

Most trainers/vets who don’t encourage playing these kinds of games are just afraid it will cause the dog to be aggressive. But they’re not worried about the teeth.

However, if your dog is a senior or has baby teeth, tug can expedite the loss of teeth. In a healthy young dog with permanent teeth, it’s no problem. Just remember to tug left and right, not up and down.

34. bookmonstercats says:

Nope, I’m no vet. Played a lot of ripping, tearing, pulling, dragging games with dogs in my time, though. They always won, mostly by pulling me off my feet, which is no mean feat by anybody’s standards.

35. bookmonstercats says:

Nice one, blair, and very funny as well.

Dogs run their prey down (as we all too sadly know from the number of savaged toddlers arising out of a few irresponsible dog owners, not to mention the silly blighters – dogs, not owners – chasing cars) so their teeth and jaws have to be strong enough to withstand a lot of struggling, tearing, ripping movements.

36. Laura, I suggest you Google “dog tug of war” and read all the great info out there about playing tug of war with your dog. I did it and not one source that I read discouraged it. Any cautions were about aggressive dogs with recommendations on how to train them in this game. Nothing about their teeth.

The only caution I’d give from personal experience (having raised three dogs from puppehhood) is to be gentle when teaching a puppeh the game. Their baby teeth give way eventually, but I always let that happen naturally, not at the hands of a rope toy being tugged to vigorously.

37. i have a chihuahua+rat terrier who won’t let me sleep, eat, work, rest, shower, or breathe unless i play tug with her rope. the part where she presents the frayed knot and paws my hand is especially difficult to withstand.

i also use the opportunity to examine her teeth! :)

38. prinsas beans says:

Wheeeeeee . . . let the dog let go when it has enuf, for cryin’ out loud!