Shakesquirrel Asks

Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet…

if you shove it right up your nose?

To Kim and Marcia and all the volunteers at the Coast & Canyon Wildlife Rehabilitation we love you forever and a day!

Comments

1. I must ask. What is “glisters”?

2. Aww thanks Cute Overload! This was our favorite rehabbing ground squirrel “Harmonica Joe” from last season. He arrived as an orphaned baby and then after months of care, he was successfully released back into the wild.

We hope people click on the link under the photos and come to meet other other sweet rehabbing babies!

3. Thank you, Rosemary–I had the same question. Not trying to be a brat, but proofreading before publishing is generally a good practice.

4. sunnylessmum says:

Shakesquirrel is just reminding us to remember to stop and smell the roses. :) Though, he seems to be taking the concept to a whole notha level in that second pic!

5. Jackie Rose says:

Not a typo. It’s the archaic form of “glitters”.

6. Kim at Coast & Canyon says:

Awww thanks Cute Overload! This is “Harmonica Joe” our favorite ground squirrel from last season. He arrived as an orphaned baby and then after months of care he was successfully released back into the wild. Please visit us to check out some of our other sweet rehabbing babies!

7. Snooooooorf!

8. Martha in Washington says:

Alas, the rose be tasty too!
    Can we get a “nom nom nom” tag, please?

9. it’s like glisten and blister all in one :) soooo it glisters!

10. OOOOH! I just learned something new. Thanks Jackie Rose!

11. Saffron says:

Is this from the Baz Lurhmann version of Squirrelio and Juliet?

12. Crazy Pants says:

It’s fancy Shakespeare talk. I had to look it up.

13. Awesome scroll-down!

I didn’t even realize there was a second photo until I’d spent a few moments admiring the first one and basking in Crazy Pants’s erudition (yes, “glisters” is a real word).

Then I scrolled to read the comments and saw the second photo and guffawed out loud! :mrgreen:

14. skippymom says:

Hey, enough with the fancy Shakespeare talk, ya show-off!

15. skippymom says:

So, for some reason I was just reminded of the time I was trying to explain something to a library patron (who turned out to be crazy) and when I used the term “fiction” she became very angry and told me, “Don’t give me your library mumbo-jumbo!”

16. Apologies–I didn’t know. I guess my new maxim is “checking before commenting is generally a good practice.” :-)

17. Calling all CO Peeps: You must visit Coast & Canyon’s Facebook page and “like” them. You’ll get a steady stream of squee-inducing pictures and stories about all the bebbeh aminals these kind folks rescue and rehab. Squirrels, chipmunks, racoons, skunks (Oreo is a star), possums… they even have video feeds of them. Next to CO, their FB page is my source for cute overload.

18. hee hee skippy mom. I swear it wasn’t me who came by and said that to you :)

19. skippymom says:

‘s cool.

20. skippymom says:

It most definitely wasn’t you, Emmylee. It was a deranged older woman who accused me of “trying to be difficult’ when I was attempting to respectfully explain that what she was looking for didn’t exist.

21. A nut! A nut! My kingdom for a nut! Is another favorite Shakesquirrel quote.

22. Theresa says:

Oh man, fun at the reference desk. When I worked at the NYPL performing arts library, people would come up to the ref desk and say things like “I heard a song fifty-five years ago, and it went like this *off-key humming*”

23. Theresa says:

SKippymom, I have this fantasy that I wake up some morning, and everybody is talking like a Shakepeare play. Zounds!

24. Theresa says:

25. 260Oakley says:

I’m thinking more Willie Nelson than Shakespeare: “To all the squirrels I’ve loved before…”

26. bob drummond says:

Ask any rodent ! They’ll tell U , roses R as tasty as they are aromatic !

27. Theresa says:

I’ll say. YOU MUST look at theess!!

Seriously, CLICK THAT LINK! Have I ever steered you wrong?

28. Theresa says:

Aw smackers. Moderated again, and all I did was link to a squee-alicious pic of li’l baby skunk heads!

29. SlaveToCat says:

Glisters form when Unicorns get rainbows and glitter stuck under their eye lids.

30. 260Oakley says:

That stinks!

31. skippymom says:

Theresa, I have that same dream, and you are in it!

32. Jackie Rose says:

You’re quite welcome, ma’am. Twelve years as a Rennie (Renaissance Fair performer) occasionally comes in handy.

33. murkle46 says:

Shy skwerl is shy.

34. murkle46 says:

LOL!

35. Fird Birfle says:

and kyoot too.

36. Harmonica Joe is the BEST. Coast & Canyon literally taught him how to be wild. Well, maybe with the help of a certain lady ground squirrel. We love you C&C.

37. phred's mom says:

I think of “glister” as a combination of “luster” and “glisten” Hope this
    doesn’t toss me into the mod lounge. A margarita, if you please!

38. warrior rabbit says:

Like Flower the skunk in Bambi…

39. NICE

If you like this, check out this post from a blog I did whilst conducting marmot research in CO last summer:

Features a little golden-mantled ground squirrel I dubbed Atticus.

40. lds7yrs says:

I second this commotion!!!

41. Red Toenails says:

Too cute!

42. rooanne says:

I love the name “Harmonica Joe”!!

43. Ooooooo, I love these little critters! Atticus is scrumptious!

44. Dat skwerl noes whut pozzies are 4.

45. bookmonstercats says:

Aaaaaargh! to Oakley

46. bookmonstercats says:

He’s actually saying, “Would a rose by any other colour taste as good?”

47. bookmonstercats says:

So, Casey, I research English pensions law in the grey, cloud-covered UK, and you research marmots in the sunshine? I know which one of us two I think has the better deal!!! ;)

48. Fird Birfle says:

Marcel Proust said the same thing, en francais, ….
    via a MUCH longer (& less fun) piece of litt’ra-chua ….

49. Foxy101 says:

Oh. Help. (dies) LOVE THIS POST!!!

50. sleekityin says:

The squirrel wears the rose of youth upon him.

51. Haha….welll…I am blessed to pursue a calling that leads me to such activities, no doubt. There’s definitely a catch, however; my suspicion is that research on English penion law doesn’t expire seasonally and leave you jobless and homeless every couple of months : /

(For example – I was recently hired and fired – for bogus, illegal reasons my boss “didn’t want to get into” – a week into the season. Since all the summer positions are taken by this point, I am left scrambling for positions at libraries and bars. Not dishonorable positions, mind you, but somewhat bereft of opportunities to apply myself as a scientists.)

52. hahahaha…*scientist