Blissed Out

Bliss can be hard to come by. Here are some tips to finding yours.

1. Get a 10 minute belly rubbing session with a friend and enjoy the lasting euphoria.

2. Get all comfy cozy on a rainy day and have a luxurious nap.

2a. Be at the bottom of the sleep pile; it’s quite pleasurable.
3. Find someone you love and give ‘em a snorgle.

Michelle F., Ant and Carina G., we wish you more bliss than you can handle.

Comments

1. I swear that front pup is part meerkat.

2. Fird Birfle says:

Me:

3. Fird Birfle says:

thus, possibly a “meerpup”??

– as opposed, to a “mer-pup”.

4. 1. D’awwwww….
    2. I did not even see the second ferret! 8O
    3. You’re taunting me with the boidies again. :)

5. Rachael says:

Smiley pupper now owns my soul. Her little body is just like my Lily’s (especially the chicken legs, all bony and ridiculous looking). Her sweet smiley face says it all. ♥♥♥

6. mindadale says:

Oh, my new cockatiel will not snorgle me. She does not seem to like me very much at all, yet. I’m trying to be patient but currently super-jealous of girl in picture three. :(

7. mindadale says:

Bet my comment is in moderation for referring to a member of the parrot family by name (just a guess, though). Guess I should just call it an ‘tiel (or is that a ‘too)?

8. did you coat your neck with anything delicious to cockatiels? that’s what i do with every single pet.

9. mindadale says:

She won’t even eat all the stuff people told me ‘tiels would love so I’m not sure what she might find delicious. She sticks pretty close to her pellets and seed. The only other food I’ve gotten her to take is cracker. She’s a six-year-old adoptee and her last pet parents didn’t give her any people food so she’s a bit wary of it, I guess.

10. Bless your heart for adopting an oldster. I don’t know much about birds, but my general thought would be to hang in there and just give her time. I have gotten the most feral and scaredy of kittehs to trust and love me, just by being patient and accepting them as they are.

11. doomchild says:

I like to rephrase number 3 as “find a furry, fuzzy, cute and cuddly anipal, and snorgle him/her like there’s no tomorrow. If the aforementioned anipal did not approve, visit first-aid afterwars.”

12. mindadale says:

Aww, thanks! She’s relatively young in birdie years (they say she could live up to 20 years!) and has a pretty good life story so far (a divorced dad had her first and he told me that she gave him a “reason to come home” when his apartment was feeling very empty! He’s moving out of state now with his new wife and it’s a bit far for ‘teil transplanting, I guess!) . But, they do attach to their humans and she probably still misses him (it’s only been 3 weeks). So, you’re right, I need to be patient (which is a trait I needed work on anyway–I guess that’s why God sent her to me!). :)

13. Theresa says:

Firdie, how do you maintain all those curls???

14. Theresa says:

You mean those boy-chicken-atoos and -atiels?

15. Theresa says:

Awww. She doesn’t even try to steal your jewelry?

16. Mary (the first) says:

omg I also missed the underneath ferret at first look. All are adorable but I mostly re-looked because of that music-notey fabric. Does anyone know where to get some of that?

17. Blue Footed Booby says:

Mine likes pellets, but won’t eat the red ones. He tosses those out of the cage, where they are hoovered up by the dog.

18. Meerhuahua?

19. Birdcage says:

My big boid likes coloured pellets too though he goes in stages: one week red ones get tossed to the dog; the next week he’s into the red ones and tossing the yellow ones out. Good luck with your ‘tiel! I have a good feeling you’re going to win that one over! As others have said, patience is key. I’ve had good luck with corn kernels and peas – not too warm, not too cold.

20. mindadale says:

Hehe, well, the first time I had her on my shoulder I had a pair of gold earrings in–I won’t make that mistake again! Ouch! ;)

21. mindadale says:

I didn’t even know they came in colors! Oh, I have so much to learn (and so little money to spend at PetsMart!).

22. Theresa says:

Yeah. :P My father caught a blue-and-gold macaw trying to lift his wallet. The bird looked him right in the face and said, “Hello!” :lol:

23. Fird Birfle says:

“only my hairdresser knows for sure….”

Signed,
    “winky-winky”

24. i had a cockatiel once and he was pretty much boring and mean. i hope you can coax her into trusting and snorgling you! i know i would if the treat were right!

25. rooanne says:

I never seen a boid look so smiley!

26. Oceanview says:

I’ll join in with the “Patience” crowd. My parakeet used to love to groom my ears (not that they needed it. Honest!). Three weeks is nothing in -tiel time. Just hang in there and I’m sure you’ll be amply rewarded.

27. I have to brag. :) That’s my birdie Charlie!

He’s a rescue, and he makes it very clear that he’s as happy to be with us as we are with him. It’s pretty obvious why I fell head over heels for him so quickly, hm?

28. If I may give some advice just from my own experience…

My Charlie loves cuddles, but won’t allow scratches. My other tiel, Brian, will only take head scratches but won’t allow pets or cuddles.

It’s all birdie preference! 3 weeks is still the “honeymoon” period where she’s getting to know you. In time her personality will shine through. :)

As for food, just keep trying different things. Eventually she will learn to love them, but they are notoriously picky eaters. If you have a small hand mirror, try setting that on the counter and putting new foods on top of it. That’s the never-fail trick to getting a cockatiel to eat things. W

Remember… don’t give her any CACA though! Caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, avocado! ;)