Daddy Has to Go Now, Winston

If you’ve wondered why we don’t see our pal Winston anymore, here’s why. “When my nine-and-a-half year relationship ended, so did my time as Winston’s dad,” writes Rich Juzwiak in a thoughtful and revealing post at Gawker. Although their time together was sometimes uneasy, it produced gems such as the video below, and in the end, Rich calls his time with the banana-loving cat an “immense honor.”

1. victoreia says:

Sad. It’s always sad when a kitty loses a parent…..

2. Soooooo sad

3. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :-(

4. Fird Birfle says:

5. THey should stay together for the children.

6. JohnnyJohnny says:

And by “Children” of course you mean “Us.”

7. Andi from NC says:

8. That just made me cry. Poor Rich. Don’t know if I could have been such a big person and not taken Rudy. Very selfless of him.

9. dgerish says:

Me too. The article was just lovely. I’m still sniffling.

10. Heck, I’d probably take Rudy and I’ve never met him.

11. you should get joined custody

12. The Original Jane says:

A lot of people negotiate pet visitations nowadays. Just sayin.

13. bonzogal says:

Rich explains in his essay what that wouldn’t work in his case.

14. dubyah1 says:

Awwwww. My condolences to the whole Rich clan [and eww for the particularly taste-less chyron ad that read, ‘Why Men Pull Away’].And I didn’t know that Weenston, being such a sourmushpuss, could bliss out like that for human contact. NOW you tell me?!?
    A friend fwd’d the pic of miffed Winston as a giantor Rice Krispie square for Hallowe’en: it was whoop at first sight. Thanks, Rich, for sharing!

15. dubyah1 says:
  16. : (

17. Lillith says:

I read this when it was on Gawker and it made me so sad. *sniffle*

18. Reading the comments on here,made me proud of how open minded you all are.So proud of this website.

19. dubyah1 says:

We should all be even slightly nicer to humans than to animals.

20. JohnnyJohnny says:

What I’ve found interesting is that those humans that have an empathy for animals usually have an exceptional quality when it comes to humans, as well.

21. TRUTH! There’s no either/or here. The two belong together. :)

22. Maybe–but it is often remarked that Hitler loved dogs.

I think that people who are genuinely kind WILL be kind to all sentient beings, but that some who are not kind to people nevertheless love animals and are kind to them.

My heart breaks for Rich and his kitties. (I can’t even think about leaving mine.)

23. That’s so sad :(

24. Madame X says:

:( *Sniff*

It’s so, so sad to lose a furbaby, for whatever reason…

Rich was a good papa to Rudy and Winston; someday, when the pain has dulled and his heart is ready, he *will* be chosen by another kitteh… and he will know.

25. oaklandcat says:

Aw, heartbreaking! To lose a relationship and a kitteh in one fell swoop! My heart goes out to Rich.

26. He lost two kitties. (Twice as painful!)

27. Aw. That must be so hard for Rich, and for the kitties. They must miss each other. Heartbreaking. :(

28. Oh wow. I feel so bad. I’ve been a part of the Winston family for, like, ever! I feel even worse for bugging Rich about his lack of Win updates and tweets lately. Little did I know what the poor guy was going through! Dammit.

29. Oooh my gosh :( So crying right now… Poor Rich, poor kitties!!

30. :cry: I second that, Ermine :cry:

31. katrinab73 says:

baroooooo!! :(

32. Let’s all take a moment to remember when Winston went as ET for Halloween :(

33. That was my favorite Winnie pic ever. Poor Rich. No one wins in these situations. It’s heartbreaking!

34. I feel sorry for every one involved. I remember him rhapsodizing about Rudy sleeping on his chest every night.

35. rooanne says:

This is so sad, for Rich and his ex and Winston and Rudy….. and I sorta know how Rich feels. When I left my ex I took my 2 cats and the dog. He kept his cat, Sly. Sly did not like me and it took a long time for her (yes Sly was female) to warm up to me but then she got really attached. I felt awful leaving her and still think about her from time to time. That was 12 years ago.

36. kodalai says:

Bummer. :(

37. katrinab73, my thoughts exactly…baroooooo!!

Rich, I’m sorry to hear about this!!!!! You’ll always be Winston’s daddy to us!

38. kibblenibble says:

Dang. *sneef* :cry:

39. Rich is so amazing. Damn, I’m sobbing. :(

40. elishab says:

I have never cried on CO before, but man, my heart goes out to Rich and Rudy….
    you definitely have my sympathies. Someday though, the pain will be less and may possibly be filled by another warming loving soul (human and/or animal).

41. JinxtheCat says:

Dear Rich: You are a great person. Another kitty will be blessed to have you as their hooman.

42. oaklandcat says:

Also: another hooman will be blessed to have you as their hooman.

43. greencatpurse says:

This title is too sad :’-(

44. KariAnn65 says:

How very, very special. You are a very fortunate person to have had such a kitty. I think you will have lots of memories that will comfort you in the future. Thank you for sharing this video with us. Took me to a happy place.

45. txredhead says:

This makes me so sad!.. :’-( Having to lose a human you love AND critters that you love is a double whammy; my heart goes out to all of them.

46. jedi_shorty says:

he should fight for dual custody, especially if he’s the one who is responsible for bringing the joys of Winston to the world.

47. Oh, dear. I’m so sorry to hear it, and hope any pain is short-lived. Best of luck to all four of you, and thank you for bringing us so much joy. Now go and take care of yourselves. ::wipes away tear::

48. Awww. A couple I love is splitting up now too, and only one of these cat-daddies will be able to keep their kitty, Lewis. Such sadness. (It should be noted that Lewis’s predecessor was named…Winston.)

49. :(

50. So sorry, Rich. Wishing you healing and peace.

51. Rich, I just read this and I am so sorry. I know those words can’t possibly heal the pain you are going through but I felt I had to say them anyway. My heart aches for you. *HUGS*

52. I just got out of a 9 year long relationship a few months ago and my ex’s closest cat still bounds into the bedroom, leaps on the bed and is confused why daddy isn’t there. And it breaks my heart, but I think I have to rehome her not only for her sanity but also for mine :( Poor Rudy, and Winnie, even if you were a PITA cat.