Help Cheer NTMTOM’s Mom!

Dear Readers: I need a big favor. Due to failing health and major life changes, my mother (or MOMTOM, as I never call her), is feeling blue. As a Mother’s Day gift, I want to share messages of hope from some of the most cheerful people I know: all of you. Please leave her a message in the comments, and I will read them to her.

In return, I offer you a “hang in there” kitten, courtesy Cracker Jack Photos. Thank you.

Update: Thanks to everyone who left such kind and encouraging messages. I read many of them to my mom this evening, and I’m going to fax her the whole lot tomorrow morning.

Comments

1. Dear MOMTOM, we live in a society that shames us for feeling down. We get told, “You need to count your blessings,” or, “You need to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and cheer up!” If anyone tries to serve you up either of these kick-you-when-you’re-down platitudes, please knee them in the groin for me and giggle maniacally while doing so. For we can appreciate our blessings while recognizing the areas of “suckitude” in our lives, and we can strive for mood elevation while realizing that some things are beyond willpower and positive thinking.

What I wish for you is improvement of circumstance when it is possible, the embracing of joyous moments during a bad day, and the hope that you never forget what a gift YOU are to those around you.

2. Hey! Feel better soon! It’s a beautiful day here in Texas! I hope its beautiful where you are too!
    “Without pain, how could we know joy?’ This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering, and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries, but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate.”
    ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

3. there’s a special blessing that comes from being a mom! I hope you have a wonderful day and that you’re surrounded by love and laughter. Happy Mother’s Day to you Tom’s mom!

4. Feel better soon MOMTOM!!
    Not that Mike the Other Mike (I love that name) clearly loves you tons and wants to make sure that you feel better today on Mother’s Day!
    xo

5. Dear Madame mother of Mike,

you have a son that reaches out to others to try to cheer you up on Mother’s Day: I think that means you did well and he loves you. And that isn’t something you can buy.

Feeling blue is not always great, I hope you’ll switch to Orange very soon. It’s a happy and zen color.

So sorry for my little clumsy message, but I do hope you’ll feel better.

Take care, :-) (note to NTMTOM: lift your head up and actually do the smile to her. ;-) )

6. *clap clap clap* Yeah!!! Exactly!! Well said Mary!

7. emmberrann says:

Dear Mike’s mom,
    I want you to know how much we love your clever, intelligent and funny son. Thank you for bringing him up to be a compassionate and caring person. We look forward to his stories and his postings. They brighten up our days, particularly when we aren’t having such bright days. Do try to have a lovely dayn
    Gratefuly,
    Embmberrannn
    A NTMTOM fan

8. Kristine says:

My heart goes out to MOMTOM. Change is so difficult — for everyone, at any age. It may help to focus on taking one day at a time. If that feels hard, then take each day in sections. It’s helpful in that you won’t project how you’re feeling right now into all your future days, and it also keeps you as present as possible. And when you’re present, it becomes a little easier to reflect on any good things happening right now (like your wonderful son, and how much he cares about you). I wish only the best for you.

9. Rebecca says:

Momtom, Lots of people are thinking of you and wishing you well. I hope all the messages will brighten you day.

10. Crazy Pants says:

Dear NTMTOM’s Mom,
    Thinking of you today and sending you healing thoughts and peaceful wishes. Be wherever you are, but know that this moment is temporary. Each new moment is different.
    NTMTOM is talented and funny and extremely sweet, as evidenced in this post. I hope you can feel a sense of accomplishment and joy in helping to make this nice man.
    Finally, a quote from Kahlil Gibran: Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.

11. Dear MOMTOM,

Best wishes to you sweetpea!

12. kibblenibble says:

Dear MOMTOM,
    All of us here love your very talented son, even though most of us haven’t met him. He has a prodigious talent for writing prose that entertains and delights us with its humor, pathos, and creativity. We sense this work comes from a very special human being; the man that you raised. Thank you for that, and I wish you healing and hope and send cuddles and purrs from my two babies, George and Minnie, who are pictured in my avatar.
    Much love, kibblenibble

13. 260Oakley says:

Dear MOMTOM,
    Around here I’m known more for my puns than my wisdom, but I can offer you a quote from Winston Churchill, who seems to have had stores of both:

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

I have that engraved on a bracelet that I wear in troubled times. I hope the skies clear for you soon. Until then, take comfort wherever you can find it. It seems clear to me that your exceptional son would be a good place to start.

14. Dear MOMTOM,
    Happy Mother’s Day!
    Best wishes.

15. PrincessSparkles says:

Dear MOMTOM, You are beautiful and wonderful and lovely in every way. The world is a sweeter place because you are in it! Thanks for sharing your clever young son with us – btw, excellent job raising a man who is smart, witty and loves cuteness (a rare combo). May your day be filled with an endless supply of love, hugs, kittens, butterflies and miniature ponies. Love and prayers heading your way! :)

16. Happy Mother’s Day Tom’s Mom! I bet the wonderful sense of humor, compassion and witty writing style NTMTOM exhibits comes from your side of the family. :) Thank you for lending him to us.
    I’m sending you healing thoughts, lots of hugs, and sunshine to warm your body and soul. Peace.

17. Martha in Washington says:

Dear MOMTOM,
    I hope you are much better very soon! I hope though that you can take this time of blueness to enjoy a nice cuddle with a soft blanket, a hot cup of tea and maybe a favorite movie on the tv. And remember, it’s the perfect excuse to make everyone wait on you hand and foot. Feel better soon and enjoy your Mother’s Day!
    Sincerely,
    Martha

PS. We all love your son and want to marry him! You did an amazing job raising him!

18. What a joy and honor it is to be able to wish such a glorious mom a Happy Mother’s Day! We know and cherish Mike’s sense of humor and intelligence — and since it comes from you, your own gifts must shine even brighter. Please know that you are in the thoughts of people around the world who are sending you love and good cheer — and so much gratitude for bringing us your lovely son! It is as obvious as the wee bottom on the kitten Mike showed us this morning that your son is crazy about his mama. And we celebrate that beautiful love story as we hope that you find so many wonderful things to smile about today and every day.
    I send you gobs and gobs of love. xoxo

19. Smallthunder says:

Dearheart, I was going to wish you “love and joy,” but you clearly have lots of LOVE in your life — as evidenced by your sweet and thoughtful son’s request here.
    So, it is JoyJoyJoy I am asking the Universe to send your way, leavened with big ole dollops of Peace . . .

20. Hugs to you MomTom and wishing you much peace and love. Thank you for having and raising such a considerate son for without you we would not have the pleasure of his hilarious contributions to Cuteoverload.

21. sabrina rose says:

Dear Tom’s Mom–My mother used to tell me, “all things will pass, and the sun keeps on shining. It is the lifted face that feels the warmth of the sun.” Sit outside in a lawn swing; rest, relax, listen to the breezes and bird songs. You will feel better soon. Just knowing you have raised a caring, compassionate, humorous son like Mike is comfort you can hold to your heart. A novel from the library that I read recently helped me to understand about ways to banish dark feelings. It is “Becoming Olivia” by Roxanne Henke. Good luck to you and God bless.

22. Lissa T says:

Hang in there, MOMTOM!
    You’ve got a son that loves you :)

23. Béatrice says:

Dear MOMTOM, I know it might sound hard at the moment but please, please try to remember that life really is beautiful. From the bottom of my bed, tonight, which is often where I find myself to concentrate better, I will send you some good vibes.
    With affection,
    Béa

24. Mary (the first) says:

Dear Mike’s Mom,
    I think it tells you how much we all love Mike that when I saw this post, I gasped as if it was some close friend’s mom who needed some extra love. And I know he didn’t make this request in a bid for attention for himself so I’ll say to you, hang in there (see photo :D) and time truly will help, if not completely heal, whatever you’re going through. As others have said, remember you must be a truly remarkable woman to have created such a nice young (?) man. Happy Mother’s Day .. stay strong!
    Mary (“not that Mary the other Mary” :D)

25. Dear Mike’s Mom,
    As someone who knows depression intimately, and how to get out of it, I’d like to share this gem with you. I’ve found that when I’m down, the thoughts I’m thinking are so CONVINCING that they spin me into a downward spiral. It helps to treat them as things I can stand back from and talk back to. “Boy, you almost had me convinced there for a minute!” That shakes me loose from whatever flavor of blue I was in. Please forgive the impertinence if this does not apply to you. Moving right along, I second the motion made by so many thanking you for bringing us your son.

26. From one mom to another: YOU have spent a lifetime lifting up your son. Now it’s time to let him lift YOU up. And great job raising such a loving, caring son. I am sure he is a reflection of you. He makes millions of us smile and go “awwwwwww,” even on days when we are blue. Sending good thoughts your way!
    Mama Candy

27. Whenever I’m feeling blue I always turn to cuteoverload to make me smile. Hopefully a hello and a wave from way over here in Tel Aviv Israel will help bring a smile to your face. ♥

28. browngrl says:

Here is my one of my favourite quotes – it reminds me that there is hope and joy even in difficult times. The author is Leonard Cohen.

“Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack in everything
    That’s how the light gets in.”

29. Dearest Momtom,
    Thank You for sharing your wonderful son with us ! I promise to remind him to call home more often. I hope you feel better soon.

30. Birdcage says:

Hope is a thing with feathers
    That perches in the soul
    And sings the tune without the words
    And never stops at all.
    And sweetest in the gale is heard
    And sore must be the storm
    That could abash the little bird
    That kept so many warm.
    I’ve heard it in the chillest land
    And on the strangest sea
    Yet, never, in extremity
    It asked a crumb of me.
    (E. Dickinson)

My hope and humour bloom like flowers in your life today, MOMTOM, and for evermore. Let those who you cared for now care for you!!!! Best wishes for joyful tomorrows from the Birdcage.

31. iloop29 says:

I believe it was Saint Teresa of Avila who said, “Life is one night in a bad hotel.” And some other thoughtful, good person said “This, too, shall pass.” So don’t forget that all this bad stuff in life is not going to last forever. What WILL last forever is how much your dear, darling son loves you. And we love you, too!!!
    *hands you a pretty bouquet*
    *with a kitten in it* :)

32. If your son got his wit, intelligence and compassion from you, you must be quite a woman! Happy mother’s day to you and know that a community of CuteOverloaders is wishing you well.

33. Dear MOMTOM,
    Thank you for raising such a funny and sweet son as Mike. As so many have said already, he constantly brings much needed laughter, cute and quirkiness into the lives of so many people through this website.
    Hope you feel better soon.

34. Theresa says:

Beautiful.

35. rooanne says:

Dear MOMTOM,

As someone who wished to have children but never did, you are very blessed to have such a wonderful son. I have gone through many changes in my life and am still going through them (unemployed for a year now, and I have education and experience) and can tell you that most things get easier, although sometimes they get harder before they get easier. The good thing about that is when it gets easier I have felt very grateful and relieved. The other good thing is that I sometimes learn something very valuable and come out stronger.

I don’t believe that people were meant to suffer, but we are human and most of us have to experience the full range of emotions and it’s perfectly normal to feel sad, angry or discouraged. I hope these feelings don’t last too long for you and you are able to experience joy and hope and love again!

36. Dear MOMTOM,
    I wish you all the best and hope you have the most wonderful mother’s day possible!

37. Dear MOMTOM,
    Your son has brightened my day on numerous occasions. You did some nice work with him.

I hope knowing that good, healing thoughts are being sent your way helps in a small measure.

Hugs, good wishes, and kitty kisses are being sent your way from

RosieLB

38. “Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” — Marcel Proust
    MOMTOM, may you be surrounded by charming gardeners! Be Well!

39. Dear MOMTOM,
    I have a bone to pick with you. Your son is a pain in the butt. He is always making me spit coffee on my keyboard laughing. Also, I end up laughing at work, which is a giveaway that I’m not really working at all, but reading the ridiculous things he writes. I hope you’re happy. That is all.

40. MOMTOM,

Hope you’re having a wonderful day with your amazing son. (He’s made many, many people feel smilier on a regular basis.) Hope you’re feeling better soon and Happy Mother’s Day. :)

41. Hi MOMTOM! Life is a strange thing, but I’m sure you’ll feel better soon! A small poem I wrote in school, translated from swedish to english!:

Life shall be lived

Like if every day

Was the only one

That had been given to us.

Life shall be noticed

Like if it was

A beacon under

The night sky.

Life shall be heard

Like if it was

A signal horn on

An otherwise calm sea.

Feel better soon! /Emma-Karin

42. Theresa says:

Dear NTMTOM and NTMOMMOM ;)
    I am really terrible at this kind of thing– since there’s no way I can be smartassed and frivolous about it. All I suggest is to be as nice to yourself as you possibly can, and feel free to make unreasonable demands on as many people as possible. If you need some examples to work from, observe the nearest cat. :) Seriously, all good wishes and thoughts.

43. Dear MOMTOM,

What she said :)

Love and hugs from the Netherlands!

44. Hugs from a professor and two kitties in California!

45. Crazy Cat Lady #4,127 says:

Dear MOMTOM,
    I don’t have any inspirational quotes or words of wisdom to share with you–just thoughts as warm as the belly of a kitty in a sunbeam.
    Best wishes to you,
    Crazy Cat Lady #4,127

46. from Austria says:

Random thoughts – people do get used to anything – I remember when I moved in with a boyfriend years ago and thought ‘What a mistake!” but got used to that – all the repeated jokes, dumb friends, Nascar – and that was just from me! ta-dum-dum. Seriously, change soon becomes the new normal. So hopefully whatever change you are experiencing now you will get used to enough to start to enjoy again the wonderful things life has to offer – milano cookies, family, cuteoverload, watching “Hoarders” on TV – not necessarily in that order (notice how there are Target bags laying around in every Hoarders episode?). I hope you have family around you – I am 5000 away from mine, but thank goodness for Skype, and for memories to cherish for when we’re apart from loved ones.

47. Dear Not that Mike the Other Mike’s Mom:
    You should be extremely proud to have a son like Mike. I don’t know him personally, but I like this guy a lot. He’s a marvelous writer with a razor-sharp wit, and his Cute Overload contributions are my absolute favorites on a site that I visit every day. He makes people smile and laugh, and that is such a valuable talent in a world that can be harsh and frightening. I often reflect on how cool it is that we have technology that can connect people in such meaningfully human ways, without ever meeting face to face. I feel like your son is a kindred spirit to me, someone I’d like to have a couple beers with and just chat about books, movies, music, and freakin’ adorable animals. Whatever you did, MOMTOM, you did it right. Happy Mother’s Day. Take care.
    Sincerely and cheerfully yours,

48. Joycelyn says:

*HUGZ*

49. Sunshine Kukulcan says:

Dear MomTom,

Feel better soon and reflect on the wonderful job you have done with your amazing son. He brightens so many lives, it is far too little I do to try and bring a smile to yours.

Blessings.

50. I am sending two BIG CYBER HUGS to NTMTOM and NTMOMMOM from Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada :D

51. Suzanne G says:

MOMTOM – you are WONDERFUL! Don’t ever forget that. You gave the world a son who is smart, creative, and extremely funny. My guess is, he got all that from you. Please know that you are never alone…there are so many people who want you to be happy. Don’t know if you believe in God, Yahweh, Allah, Mother Earth, etc., but please know that I will keep you in my prayers. Happy Mother’s Day, MOMTOM! ((HUGS))

52. Lillith says:

Dear MOMTOM;

As a fellow Mike Mom I send good thoughts to you, and if you can read The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama it was a great help to me in times of loss and change.

And just remember these great words of wisdom from Groucho Marx: The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made.

53. Dear MomTom: We can so totally relate to feeling blue. Been feeling that way ourselves for way longer than we care to. Times just seem to be tougher. Rest assured that because you gave us Tom, we can escape the downers for a while and chuckle some of our stress away at the Cute offerings he gives us on a daily basis. Really hope you feel better soon, and that things get better.

54. jerzowa says:

Dear NTMTOM’s Mom,
    I’m not good at finding brilliant quotations from great authors on the spot, plus, Englich is not my first language. But I would like to send you a lot of warm hugs and comfoting thoughts. Please, accept them. I hope your days will be brighter soon :)
    Greetings from Poland,
    Joanna

55. If you’re sad, MOMTOM, my psychic, over-sensitive bunny rabbit will know and will also get sad. And you can’t handle the guilt of making a soft fuzzy bunny rabbit sad. His pouty little lower lip will start quivering, if you could ever find his lower lip.

56. Dear MONTOM,

You have raised a wonderful son who appreciates all things cute. You have obviously done something right :) This mother’s day, don’t feel blue. There is a mass of cuteoverloaders who are currently sending happy thoughts your way.

Love from NJ,

Haydia (and Maya cat)

57. *MOMTOM. oops. <3

58. Dear MOMTOM,

Don’t be blue, be pink! Tickled pink, like I am every time I read one of your son’s witty and hilarious posts on Cuteoverload! I hope you enjoy the love that comes from your extended family here and have a great Mother’s Day!

Love from Texas,
    Leen

59. Leilani says:

Dear Mike’s Mom,
    In case you haven’t gotten the gist of all the messages, we are in love with and in awe of your son. His intelligence, wit, and humor shine forth in everything he writes; and you are to be commended–HIGHLY COMMENDED–on doing such a fine job of raising such a fine child. My sincerest, most heart-felt wishes for you to feel better soon; and please know that you are in my prayers. God bless you.
    Leilani in Delaware

60. Should your spirit ever be droopin’
    Think upon the lovely lupine.
    Hardy pillars sweep away
    Wintry chill, wintry gray.
    Raw fields burst abloom
    With frost-melting spring perfume.
    Strong spikes of delicate blush
    Turning any ice into mush!

Mike spelled it wrong. It’s “Hang in theah.” ;-)

61. I couldn’t say it better than Mary, MOMTOM! Here’s hoping for a ray of warm sunshine to come your way soon.

62. lds7yrs says:

Dear MomTom:
    I add my few words to those which have gone before, to let you know that I, too, hope your days of feeling blue are soon numbered and behind you. Though we have never met, I believe in your great worth to this world, not just because you brought us NTMTOM (and this is a huge gift you have given the Cuteworld), but because you are you. Please remember that YOU are irreplaceable. There is only one you, and you are special. You need do nothing to be worthy of the love that is sent to you today, for you are worthy by the fact of your being.
    Sending much love and compassion your way,
    Wendy

63. Starfish says:

Dear MOMTOM,

Moms are the best. Here’s hoping you feel better soon and have a great Mother’s Day.

With love from the (Cayman) Islands,
    Starfish

64. LisaAnn says:

Dear MOMTOM,
    YOU raised an amazing son. Congratulations on that. Be proud of what you accomplished because he is truly a ray of sunshine (and sarcasm) for many. His wry humor and wit have made me smile on many a day when I didn’t enve think it was possible. When I see that he has posted on our site, I am full of anticipation. I hope your Mother;s Day finds some peace in knowing you did a wonderful job.

65. Elizabeth says:

Happy Mother’s Day MOMTOM!! Sorry to hear you’re feeling down and sending smiles your way :) I like to look at pictures of kittens when I’m blue….it doesn’t solve everything but doesn’t tend to make things worse. :)

66. Copperbat says:

Dear MOMTOM, when I’m exhausted or suffering, I daydream about an imaginary place. The place can really be anywhere. Conjure your own, or feel free to visit mine! It looks out over a calm, peaceful sea. There’s a shimmering, deep blue sky with a rosy, watercolor horizon. Maybe a sprinkle of glittering stars. My sea has dolphins playing in the distant waves. My shelter is trees, swaying slowly in a warm breeze. My message is not exactly well wishes and cheer. But I do hope these simple thoughts find you, and bring you ease.

67. Tractatus Blorpico-Philosophicus says:

Dear MOMTOM, when I was at the lowest point of my life (to date), my Alexander Technique teacher (a wise woman) told me, “Be kind to yourself.” I didn’t really get it at the time (don’t know if I properly get it now), but it helped. Truly hope things are better for you soon, love-

68. One more from Winston Churchill:
    “Never, never, never, never give up.”
    Best wishes,
    Gayle

69. Dear MOMTOM, I lost my mother many years ago but I used to sing this song to her every mother’s day. It’s a love song form a child to it’s mother and it’s says Mama you are the most beautiful of the world, and I’m sure that’s exactly what you are for Mike.

70. dear MOMTOM,
    Think about this: your son spent no money on this gift and enlisted others to wish you happy mothers’ day, so that certainly entitles you to an extra-good birthday present this year!

71. Dear MOMTOM! or MamaCuteOverLoad!
    You have a wonderful offspring there. So that is a very good thing. You have done something that helps cheer up people all over the globe and cutes out my roommates on a regular basis. Thank you for that.

So, have a day that is yours. Can be today or tomorrow. Make a pot of your favorite tea, have some treat you like, watch a silly old movie or read a good book. Do something for yourself, not for anyone else.

Hugs!

72. Catsquatch says:

OMG! Its Mikes Mom!
    HELLOOOOOO!!!!
    I hafta tell ya, you did a great job on your kid!

Hey, do you remember that day when he threw up on you? What a pain THAT was huh? Hadda change your clothes and everything.
    Then he did it again and you hadda change your clothes that day too.
    Remember the day when his diaper went from smelling like digested milk to smelling like actual POO? PHEW!
    Remember that other day when he went out to play while you were doing laundry and when you went to check on him you discovered that he had been eating SNAILS?
    That was just totally gross man.
    Remember that day when he first tasted a lemon, and the look on his face made you laugh so hard that your eyes watered?
    Remember that other day when he started asking questions about “Whats that?” and how you thought it was so cute, but by the end of the week you wanted to staple his mouth shut?
    Remember that day when he was so active and you were so tired that glueing him to a wall actually sounded like it might be a good idea?
    Remember his first day of school and how you had mixed feelings, you were gonna miss having him around all day but you were finally gonna enjoy not having him around all day?
    Remember this morning when you realized you were looking forward to having him around all day?

Yeah, I remember all that stuff too.

Have a great Mother Day honey, and kiss that kid again!
    ((HUGS!!)) :D

73. JenDeyan says:

Dear MOMTOM,
    I and I’m sure all of us commenters want to say,
    we hope you have a real nice day.
    A day that turns into a real nice week,
    And once you’re done just take a peek.
    Then you’ll see you’ve had a real nice year,
    With many times that are so dear.

Feel better and give your son a big hug from all of us. ^_^

74. dgerish says:

MOMTOM, the CuteOverload crowd is always there for each other when we lose a beloved pet or go through other hard times, and it’s neat that Mike turned to us to cheer you. You raised a fantastic son who’s the pretend boyfriend/husband of half of us here. He’s the best, so you must be too. Happy day, and hang in there until better days come.

75. Megumi's Mom says:

Dear Momtom,
    Hugs from everyone here, including Mr. Mellow cat and Ms. Hyper-freak-out-about-strangers-cat.

Obviously, from your child, we can tell that you are an awesome mom.

76. Happy Mother’s Day! You obviously have imparted wonderful qualities to your child, who makes thousands of people smile daily through “Cute Overload”.

77. Dear NTMTOM’s MOM,
    As so many others have said, we love your son – thank you so much for sharing him with us. I just lost my mom in December (although I know she is still with me always), and so I will send my warm and fuzzy wishes to you today. I am usually in central MI, but am in Washington DC today, so look for the wishes to be whizzing at you from that way!

78. Diane in Los Angeles says:

I sent my mother some virtual bouquets for Mother’s day: she loves really bright flowers, so I made a set of them on Flickr, and perhaps they might brighten the dayNTMTOM’s Mom and other Moms might enjoy these flowers too….

And thanks, all Moms out there, for taking care of us when we were this small

79. Dear MOMTOM, I’m far away from my mom and that and a bunch of other things have been making me blue lately too. When I am feeling down, I visit the CuteOverload site because nothing cheers me up like fuzzy animals. Have faith that eventually things will get better… and I will keep the same in mind. Sending you warm thoughts and well wishes from Michigan.

80. Queen of Dork says:

Hi Mike’s Mom!

Happy Mother’s day! Please know that you have a son who loves you. And fans of your son who don’t have the honor to know you but wish we did. We all hope you’ll feel better soon and we are with you in spirit!

Stef

81. Dear MomNomTom: Due to problems similar to yours, I have been having many days when the only thing that makes any sense is something like the picture of the kitteh that your sweet son posted…… I am not ashamed to say that I pray to God, as I understand him, everyday, even though, most of the time, I feel like I am talking to myself. My situation makes me tired, robs me of joy, & causes a lot of distress.
    However, underneath it all, is a kind of peace, a certainty, that despite it all, I will endure, with His help, no matter what happens…..
    I will hold you in my heart everyday when I pray…….♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

82. Susan L. says:

Dear Momtom. I’ve recently learned that my depression was a reflection of things not going right in my belly. I’m taking some supplements to make my gut work better and eating natural, local foods. Funny how sometimes our moods don’t reflect the state of the world or even the state of our lives but merely the state of our body. Hang in there and take care of yourself.

83. Dear NTMTOM’s Mom, I hope the road you’re on smoothes out soon, and I wish your peace and courage and laughter.

84. Hi MOMTOM,
    My wise and wonderful father always said, “God did not bring you this far to drop you on your head”. There is beauty and lessons in every challange. Have a wonderful day knowing that many, many strangers are thinking of you now and holding you in their hearts.

Noelle in PIttsburgh, PA

85. my mom’s been gone for quite a long time, and i’ve been looking for someone to be my surrogate mom’s day mom for today, and i’ve decided this is the one.

Happy Mother’s Day, NTMTOM’s Mom!

86. Dear Momtom!
    Today was a lovely sunny day i Gothenburg, Sweden. Do you know hoe rare that is? Maybe it was for you.

Allt gott! / Kajsa

87. LisaLassie says:

Dear Momtom,

I am sorry to hear that youare feeling blue. Mother’s Day is a good dy to tell you that you have raised a son who gives pleasure to thousands of fpeople every day! There are few mothers in the world who can say that.

I hope that you will be feeling more cheerful soon, and thank you for raising such a fine boy!!!!

88. CarolAT & Kitties says:

Yes, yes, yes, what Nary said! You must be a wonderful person to have raised such a son.

89. Dear Mrs. Mom of Tom,

It’s a funny old world. Sometimes we’re over the moon. Other times we feel like we have a target painted on our back and the universe has a quiver full of arrows. Our best armor against those arrows is a combination of love, humor, and courage. If your son is anything to go by, you have these attributes in abundance and have passed them on to the next generation. May the coming days treat you more gently and may the love of all of us strangers (united by genuine kindness and care) provide you with the comfort you deserve.
    Decca

90. ffleur2 says:

To NTMTOM’s mom:

A part of the poem “Desiderata”. I hope these words give you some comfort:

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline,
    be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be,
    and whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful.
    Strive to be happy.

91. CarolAT & Kitties says:

I meant Mary! :-(
    Happy Mother’s Day everyone.

92. dubyah1 says:

Dear Mrs. MOMTOM:

I join the well-wishers here who thank you for the sacrifices you made, the little and huge ones, to create the fine man who uses his talents and powers on this website for good. He amuses us and lightens our days, when a literary turn, a groan-worthy pun and a funny photo shifts our heavy left brains into bemused right ones, and importantly, makes us want to share this little sunbeam with OUR friends and loved ones.
    Mums by definition are self-sacrificing, so fight the urge to refuse help, get it if you needs some, from your doc, your neighbours, your family and friends. Ensure you have something to look forward to, a trip to a friend, volunteering, a day at the zoo, a free college course, going to the YWCA for a swim. Your son is literary, so is it time for you to write The Great Novel, or a biography? And today of all days, do something YOU like: eat a chocolate, order an anchovy pizza, turn up the Viennese waltz music [or German electronika, whichevs].
    When bad things happen to me, I think about what my Mum says and we know to be true: ‘Someday, we’ll look back on this and laugh.’ And if it’s too horrible for that, at least it will win you points in the ‘my life is even worse’ conversational poker stakes.
    And finally, I quote my beloved Douglas Adams, which works for both good and bad days and makes both better: ‘Share and enjoy!’
    Happy Mothers’ Day to all Mums, and
    All the best from Canada.

93. Hello from Canada~ :D

Quoting the Doctor: “The way I see it, life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant. And we definitely added to his pile of good things.”

I hope all of our messages add to your pile of good things to help you perhaps soften the bad things, or maybe give you strength to merrily stomp on the bad things! >:D

As we say in Quebec: Lâche pas ‘a patate! (“Don’t drop the potato!”, our strange way of saying “Hang in there!”)

94. Dear MOMTOM,

I add my voice to the chorus of allies all wishing you well today and always. It is a beautiful day here in Virginia, sunny and breezy and bright with springtime colors. There is a cardinal on my deck chirping away the afternoon. I wish I could bottle the simplicity and bright yellow happiness of this afternoon and send it to you so it could fill your room. So instead, warm wishes for your happiness and joy are winging their way to you. In addition to NOMTOM, I hope that Turtle Girl is also there to share this Mother’s Day with you. (We prayed for her too some time ago when she was in need and NOMTOM needed a little support.) As you have heard by now, we absolutely adore your sweet and tenderhearted son, and men don’t simply turn out the way he did without the strong guidance and gentle nurturing of a strong mother. He is a beautiful reflection of your heart and loving kindness.

I don’t know if Mike has shared this with you, but many of us have proposed to him repeatedly here on CO. In fact, the long lines of females elbowing each other to the back of the line caused Theresa here to created her famous Imaginary Stable of Interdimensional Husbands. And of course that would make you our Interdimensional Mother-In-Law. We are honored to meet you today.

I am sorry that you are going through a difficult time now, and I hope that the knowledge that we are all thinking about you brings you a measure of happiness. And I hope that the collective love and healing energy we are all sending to you lifts your spirits in some small way. Here’s to the transformative power of love. I know you are surrounded by it today, and I hope that you start to feel more like yourself again soon.

Happy Mother’s Day.
    Mike, please give your mom a nice smooch on the tip of her nose from me and my Pallina and Pixie.

95. Fird Birfle says:

Dear NTM MOM:

You birthed one of the bestest writers there is.
    Be well NOW (or as soon as you can manage it). By proxy, all the COer’s love you.

MWAH.

96. Ditto to what everyone else has said. Can’t say anything better than what’s already been posted.

97. Fird Birfle says:

YAY Virginia. (I *heart* Virginia)

Love,
    I might have been bornded in Fla but I lurves me some Northern Virginia.

*sigh*

98. Fird Birfle says:

(Interesting vocab turn; I was accustomed to the term “pomme de terre”; I never heard of a term “patate”….peut-etre, c’est de la difference entre le francais de la France et du francais de la Canada?? and I”m not even certain if the term Canada is considered a masculine or a feminine name?)

99. Fird Birfle says:

tres eloquent, Decca.

100. MamaDawn in Tulsa says:

Dear Momtom:
    As one mom to another, our kids never really grow up, do they? I wish I could think of something original, but all our virtual friends have said it nicely: you’ve done a job to be proud of, and we all appreciate your kid! Thank you for raising such a caring young man.

101. phred's mom says:

life is change.
    change is life.
    it can get scary at times.
    don’t be afraid.
    you are in an adventure.

Your son loves you very much and will
    be with you. He is your treasure.

We all send you embraces.
    Happy Mother’s Day

102. dubyah1 says:

What other blogspot rocks the MP?
    Beautiful, NM!

103. LunaChickFringe says:

Dear MOM of NTMTOM,
    Your son brings tons of laughter and joy to a lot of people every day. Sometimes it is the only bright spot in a dismal day. Let his warmth and wit raise you up as it does for the rest of us. Also, my bunny girls are more than ready to disapprove and nip someone if you need them to. Just say the word! :)

104. Fird Birfle says:

wow @ your photos, Diane!

105. Fird Birfle says:

hugs to ceejoe :(

106. janer81 says:

Feel better MOMTOM!

I learned a hard but valuable lesson this year: it’s easy to get sad/frustrated/miserable over the things we can’t control, but the important thing is to focus on the people [and/or cute furry animals] we love and those who love us, because that’s the only way to make it through the crappy stuff and come out functional on the other side. I hope things look up for you!!

107. back atcha, Fird. I didn’t get to make it to the botanical gardens, but so many other awesome amazing things here! A wonderful weekend! :)

108. MOMTOM, we are thinking of you and sending you good vibes. Thank you for being you – best wishes!

109. Aw, thanks. (Blushing.)

110. Da Bunny says:

MOMTOM, thank you for giving us NTMOM – he has an incredible wit and way with words and has brought much laughter to his fans. Happy mother’s day and may the coming year bring you health and happiness.

111. dubyah1 says:

Le Canada, c’est masculin. Easy to remember once you see the Niagara peninsula on the map ;-)

112. Mommyduck says:

Happy Mother’s Day, MOMTOM! WOW!! You did the most excellent job having and raising your Not That Mike son!! He’s super funny…and he spreads joy throughout the world! Feel better soon, and thank you for creating and sharing with us your darling son!!!

113. Happy Mother’s Day, MOMTOM. God bless you.

Lisa

114. Mike’s Mom – have you seen the line to marry your son? You did a fantastic job :) Happiest of Mother’s Days to you!

well-wishes and warm fuzzies to you, dear, from the greatest website on the internet. (seriously, y’all, isn’t this place the best?)

115. Heather says:

Happy mothers Day! I’m sorry you’re so down and feeling bad, but know that a lot of people are wishing you well

116. Sarbear says:

Smile though your heart is aching
    Smile, even though it’s breaking
    When there are clouds in the sky, you’ll get by
    If you smile through all fear and sorrow
    Smile, and maybe tomorrow
    You’ll see the sun come shining through for you -Charlie Chaplin

117. Dearest MOMTOM,

This too shall pass. It seems like the hard times are the ones that will last forever. As Anne of Green Gables put it, it’s hard to see the next bend in the road. I pray for good health and joy for you. You are blessed to have a son who loves you so very much that he would take selfless steps to cheer you up. I miss my dearly departed mama, so I will give you the same kins of hug that I gave her, one that expresses the desire to cheer you up more than words could. I know you will come through this rough time with a smile on your face. Hang in there, and that goes for NTMTOM as well.

Prayers and blessings,
    Gaz

118. I would just like to add that Diane has the most awesomely cute guinea pig, named George, who really ought to be on CO one of these days.

To MOMTOM all I can say is, what a great son you have raised! I hope your mood lifts. I’ve learned to just sort of not take myself seriously when my brain goes all gloomy on me. I hope you find something that works.

119. Hope you’re feeling better soon!

120. Au Canada le nom officiel est encore “pomme de terre,” mais tout le monde l’appelle une patate :)

121. Feel better soon, MOMTOM! Lots of good wishes are coming your way!

122. womblegirl says:

happy mother’s day MOMTOM. Mothers spend all year running round after their kids, kissing the boo-boos, and picking up their messes. When they finally achieve adulthood, the only difference is that the messes can be much larger…. All this means that on mother’s day, you have the absolute right to sit back and be pampered all day. Enjoy your day, and hope things get better for you soon,

123. Thoughts are with you in what sounds like a difficult time. May many cute and fluffy animals cheer your spirits.

Affectionately,
    James

124. Dear MomTom, mom of Tom Nom (or whatever his name is): Blessings to you on Mother’s Day, and warmest wishes for health and a lifting of your spirits. <3

125. Dear MOMTOM,
    I think it’s safe to say that you have a happy, smart, and funny son. I’m guessing he’s also handsome but whatever I think of him, I’m sure that to you he’s the world. What a wonderful opportunity he’s given all of us so I think I can also say he’s generous as well. Here’s hoping you had a wonderful day and thanks so much for sharing your special day with all of us.
    PJ

126. Arminda says:

Dear MOMTOM,

My heart aches for you. Whatever you are going through, you have the internal strength and external support to get through it. I believe in you.

Happy Mother’s Day,
    AK

127. Emerson says:

Hello MOMTOM, I think others have said some lovely things. I’ll just wish you some music–whatever kind you need. And something wickedly funny popping up in your head. Peace to you.

128. Momtom, I know what it’s like to feel unhappy and blue, whether for a good reason or no reason. So I hope you feel better soon. Happy mother’s day.

129. Momtom, I hope your future brings you joy and love. Happy Mother’s Day

130. Dear MOMTOM,

What tracylee said. Can you IMAGINE how many potential daughters-in-law you have on the internet?

Blessings, healing, and joy to you, today and every day.

Plus, a little musical interlude. I picked this version because these lyrics are good to read too:

131. Gretchen says:

Mike’s Mom – please focus on the things that make you the most happy and not on the things you can’t control or change. You have a son who loves you and you did a great job raising him and we all thank you for that.

132. clap*clap*clap**whistle**clap*clap*clap!!!

(unless you need some quiet, ms. not that mom the other mom)

133. Dear MOMTOM– Emily Dickinson has already been taken by a previous person, so I offer bumper sticker philosophy. There used to be a pessimistic bumper sticker that said “S–t happens.” It does, over and over every day, and sometimes we want to get out an even more pessimistic one: “Life sucks and then you die.” And then something happens. Our loved one calls on the whole Internet to cheer us up, or we look up at a full moon with the clouds scudding past it, and suddenly, it all seems worth it. I wish you more of those moment, more of those times when the beauty of life catches you unawares, and even though everything is falling apart around you and maybe even within you, you are once again happy to be alive.

No son gets to be the way yours is without a monther who loves words and has a twinkle in her eye. And since you are practically my mother-in-law, given that I have stated publicly in this forum that I’d marry your son were it not for pesky stuff like not knowing him and my actual husband not allowing me to date, I send you huge love and many hugs.

134. i don’t have my mom anymore, so i try not to think about mother’s day too much. i focus on other things, especially things that make me feel better. like your comment.

135. Dear MOMTOM, Please know that you are not alone in feeling discouraged, frightened or blue. It’s apparent you have at least one son who really loves you and now all his readers are rooting for you. Please be gentle with yourself and let others help… sending hugs and healing vibes. BPG

136. Patricia says:

Dear Mike’s Mom,
    I’m sorry to hear about all the difficulties you are experiencing. As a cuteoverload reader who doesn’t know you personally, perhaps the most apt thing I can say is that we *love* your son. He is hilarious and awesome and brings joy to tons of people every day.

I also often feel discouraged. Even when things are going well, the condition of being human is not easy — perhaps that is one reason we get so much comfort from these animals, who are like us, but also not like us.

All best wishes to you.

137. *smiling*

138. Dear MOMTOM,
    Sending you warm wishes and good cheer. You have a son who loves you – may that blessing spark a light of peace and hope. Keep swimming, keep climbing, keep purring, snorgling, cuddling, flying, playing, and above all, keep believing.

139. dear mrs ntmtom,

i don’t have a mom today, but i did and she was lovely. i miss her. thank you for giving me a chance to wish a nice lady a happy mother’s day instead.

i hope you’re smiling all day and then your burdens gently lift.

140. Hugs to you Sharpy. <3

141. Hope you feel better soon!

142. Dear MOMTOM- I am not that eloquent, so I shall share a few of my favorite quotes:
    “There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.” ~Ben Williams
    “You know Hobbes, sometimes even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.” ~Calvin
    “Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It’s already tomorrow in Australia.” ~Charles Schultz

I hope you can find some peace in the coming days, regardless of what that looks like. This website makes me smile everyday, even if it’s only for a minute of a crappy day, but that minute makes all the difference.
    -L

143. cellarmouse says:

Dear MOMTOM,

You are as dear and tender and perfect today as you were in your most beautiful baby picture; you’ve achieved things more difficult than anyone but you can know; you are worth more than you can ever be given. Thank You.

144. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Dear NTMTOM’s Mom,

You’ve just been group-hugged and cheered on by over one hundred people–total strangers. I hope you can still breathe. I’m sure we can step back a little bit to make it easier for you. There, that’s better.

I hope you can feel the caring and good cheer from this crazy bunch that reads funny stuff about animals every day. It’s probably what keeps a lot of us going, too. It’s good stuff, it’s cheap, and it’s legal!

You are not alone. Maybe we didn’t fix anything, but I sure hope it was was fun to hear all these messages.

145. Tom’s Mom, I hope we all helped lift your sprits in our own little way. You have a wonderful son that brings happiness to others everyday all over the world! Good Job! We all thank you!

146. Saffron says:

Dear MOMTOM,
    Please accept this blanket of love, warm wishes and prayers. It will keep you warm on a chilly day and cool on a sunny Summer day. And of course it also has cat hair all over it! :)

I am hoping you feel better soon and are cheered by the outpouring of love from Cute Overload posters.

Saffron

147. Tater Tot says:

Dear MOMTOM,
    Sending you hugs and purrs from our house! (We’ll keep the hairballs and fur dustbunnies to ourselves, unless you really want them.)

148. Dear Mike’s mom,
    I hope you’ve had a wonderful day and made new memories to cherish. My own mom is gone now and I am childless so it is with great pleasure I add my wishes to all the previous ones. Yes, getting older and less able sucks mightily so I hope we at CU have eased your burden somewhat this Mother’s Day. It has been a pleasure to be able to write you.

149. countessmara says:

Happy Mother’s Day, MOMTOM. We love your son and I love love love his writing. He has a talent for a clever turn of phrase that captures the spirit of a photo perfectly, humorously, and consistently. Wonder where he got that, hmmmm? I hope you get to feeling better soon. Cherish your son as we do, and enjoy your day!

150. Diane in Los Angeles says:

I agree that George is CO-worthy, capable of cheering many mothers and their offspring with his intense cuteness, but despite the Tocktober project

the Nosevember experiment

and just the insane cuteness of George and Emily together,

our offerings have not yet been accepted by C.O., while my own wonderful mother has fully accepted her furry grandchild.

151. MOMTOM: my Mom is going through a bout of blues owing to struggles, including slowly losing her husband of 56+ years to Alzheimer’s. I just spent the day with my family celebrating the love we have and the continuation of our family through our children. Mom knows we can’t be whole without her. I suspect the same for you.

152. De plus, lorsque l’on veut désigner une appartenance, on dit “de la” quand il s’agit de quelqu’un (ou quelque chose) féminin, et on dit “du” au lieu de “de le” quand il s’agit de quelqu’un (ou quelque chose) masculin. Donc, le français “de la” France (car la France est féminin) et le français “du” Canada (parce qu’il est masculin).
    Ce qui conclut cette courte leçon de français qui n’a rien à voir avec la maman de NTMTOM. :D

153. (Psstt! Thank you so much for this as I’m a new big fan of Janelle!)

154. Watch Doctor Who and eat cookies. Nowhere in the world is there a better cure then that.

155. Kristie Eagles says:

Dear Mom-Tom,Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Don’t lose hope! As Emily Dickinson said “HOPE is the
    thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings
    the tune without words and never stops – at all.

156. Dear NTMTOM Mom,

I don’t know whether all these comments have helped you, but they have certainly bolstered MY faith in my fellow man (and woman)!

I hope you had a wonderful Mothers Day, the first of many brighter days to come.
    Because things always look brighter after a good night’s sleep, here is a lullaby for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1PfvwDdVWU

157. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

The caterpillar thought life was over, until she became a butterfly. I wish for the power of change to make life a little better for you. Although we’ve never met, I wish this for you. And Happy Mother’s Day!

158. I can’t imagine who “THAT” Mike is that OUR Mike had to differentiate himself from once upon a time. But here’s a message to OUR Mike: You are hereby ordered to NOT OMIT any of our mushy messages when you read them to your mom. No censoring of all the good stuff is allowed.

159. Yes, and please follow all instructions–no skipping the kisses we have demanded that you plant on your mom for us! :)

160. Oh I hope I’m not too late! i never come on here during the weekends!
    MOMTOM- First off Happy Mother’s Day :) I think the fact that there’s so many of us here who are willing to leave messages for NOMTOM’s Mom is a testament of how wonderful you must be as a parent…for when I feel down I know when I see your son’s put up a post on here, I know it will make me laugh and bring me back up.
    I hope that whatever it is that is going on for you, that there will be sunlight in your days and warmth in your heart. I hope that we can all provide you healing thoughts and smiles for those days that are dark. And I hope that we can provide you the same laughter and joy that your son in turn provides to us here.
    Peace and lots of love.

161. Dear MOMTOM:

“We are strong, resourceful, adaptable women.” My mom and I have to remind each other of this every once in a while. She and I have been through some tough times, but this is our shared mantra. And now I’m sharing it with you. You are a strong, resourceful, adaptable woman, and there is nothing you can’t overcome!

162. noellesbootcutkittenpants Said what I was thinking of and did it better than I would.

Best wishes, and know that people care and are glad you did.

163. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

Hello, everybody: I’d like to thank everyone who left messages. I read many of them to my mom this evening, and I’m going to fax her the whole lot tomorrow morning. I knew I could count on you people — you folks are the best. :)

164. Chris B. says:

Dear MOMTOM

Happy Mother’s Day from North Dakota. Being a mom is the hardest job there is but seeing what your son has done with this site means you raised him very well. Hugs and more Hugs……

165. Robin Kiesel says:

I hope that I’m also not too late! I just want to wish The Mom of Tom a very Happy Mothers Day. I can’t say that I know how you feel, because I don’t. i don’t know your pain, your sorrow. I don’t know what lies heavy on your heart. I only know that your loving son has given a wonderful gift to you. You are in the hearts and prayers of many people today; people who know your sweet son and people who only know of him through Cute Overload. I hope that our words of encouragement can bring to you some comfort. I struggle every day with depression, but this wonderful place ALWAYS brings a smile to my face. I hope our messages will bring a smile to yours,
    Love to you.

166. Susan Shmoo-kin says:

Dear NTMTOM and your mom,

This is my first ever comment on Cute Overload, or any e-place. It’s for and because of you two.

Be well, as well as may be. Cherish one another, as you clearly already do. I hope it’s been a good day. May you have thousands more days, the vast majority of them good ones, in which to enjoy life and love and sweetness and cuteness.

Here’s a fridge magnet poem I wrote back on Leap Day:

What bitter dreams men have
    of black shadowed winter
    they storm and ache
    for meaning from death
    we may yet see beauty here
    the sun will shine my friend

Peace to you and to all.

167. Dear Ms. MOMTOM,

I am sure that other’s have said it, but since you have gotten SO many messages I haven’t been able to double check, so I apologize if it has been already said (but it can’t be bad to hear nice things again, can it?). Your son on a regular basis makes us all hear laugh, and I can only begin to guess how he has impacted your life. You are clearly an awesome mom, or else he wouldn’t be so funny and he wouldn’t care about you so much. Dealing with health issues is scary and change sucks. I wish I could offer amazing words of encouragement that would help you feel better, but all I can say is as a social worker who has worked with a lot of people with major health issues, the one thing that you can’t buy and that you can’t just find anywhere is family and support. It’s great that you have that…I would say lucky, but luck implies that you didn’t have a part in it, which is of course not true. You have support because of the love you gave to your son, and now he is giving some back to you when you need it most. Take care and I hope that everything works out for you in the end.

-tammy

168. dubyah1 says:

As the first of dozens of ‘you’re welcome’ msgs, it’s a small enough recompense for the brain responsible for the Monkey Scopes. Best wishes for your family, and take care of yourself [manly fistbump];

169. Moi, Actually says:

Dear NTMTOM’s mother,
    Although you don’t know me, I feel that I know you somehow. Anyone who mothered the person we call Not That Mike The Other Mike must be special.
    You have so much to be proud of. Your Mike is such a witty wonderful commentator on this site. He brings smiles to many, many faces.
    I just hope he has the courage to read this to you. It’s okay to feel blue, but it’s even better to see that blue blends well with other colours, especially with help and support from those who care for you.
    Be cmforted; you have done something extraordinary with your life.

170. darlingcreature says:

Dear MOMTOM,

A Very Happy Mother’s Day to you, and thank you for giving your son to the World. He brings great happiness to us all!

171. Raymond says:

Merci pour la leçon!

172. Raymond says:

Dear MOMTOM,
    When I want to cheer myself or someone else up, I look for NTMTOM posts. Then I point to them and quote. For example, “Heavy is the head that wears the shiny plastic dingus!” http://cuteoverload.com/2009/07/02/scenes-from-yesterdays-coronation/
    I’m sorry that your head is burdened with a plastic dingus, and hope that you will feel better. Meanwhile, I suggest that you ask your delightful son to recite some of his greatest hits for you.

173. Shari Emling says:

Dear MOMTOM!!!
    Hey – I hate change too! There’s NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Sometimes we just get handed a tray of crummy things – and maybe this is what happened to you, but DON’T THINK IT STAYS THIS WAY. Change always comes… and things always look brighter in the morning. Now…. that “morning” may take a few days to get here, but it WILL EVENTUALLY get here! A few tears, a few slams of the fist into the pillow, and a little pouting won’t hurt – so don’t worry if that’s part of the solution!
    We all send you hugs and WONDERFUL good wishes. These sad and frustrating days are just a part of life – but things get better. Just know how much your wonderful son loves you – and how much we care for you because we know HE does!

174. Dear MOMTOM,

Life has its depressing moments and these moments really suck. But I hope you can find ways to lift your mood and focus on all the good things around you. Cute Overload has been a constant source of joy and respite for me over the years, and CO posts and comments never fail to cheer me up when I’m in a rough patch. I hope they will work the same for you and bring a smile to your face. Big hugs to you!

175. kallisto73 says:

Dear MOMTOM,

I wish you all the best and hope that you will feel better soon. Life can be hard, but you have a great son, who is well loved by many people, and who is bringing joy to many of us. And he will give joy to you.

176. As a mom who’s been blue, it has made my heart soar seeing all the complete strangers writing little love notes to Not That Mom The Other Mom. Hooray for you guys! And as for you, Ms. NTMTOM, I’m officially #WhatSheSaid-ing Mary, the first commenter, and adding my own dark chocolate ganache-covered wishes for love, peace, joy & contentment in your heart. Be well soon. :)

177. deb.kogan says:

Dear MOMTOM (what a great nickname! my daughter calls me mooosh-with three o’s of course). There are so many people sending you good wishes! Add mine as well and take all that poistive energy to help you overcome your problems. hugs, Erin’s mooosh

178. Miss Tara says:

Dear NTMTOM’s Mom –
    Wishing you well. Sometimes it’s very hard to see the other side, but please keep in mind that when we are going through something bad, we’re going *through* it — it’s a tunnel, not a cave, and you’ll make it. You are surrounded by love.

179. Dear Mike’s Mom

Like many of us here on CO, I’ve lost a pet or two. They don’t have near long enough life spans, but I like to imagine them watching over me. Like my fluffy Chow who was always checking stuff out and making sure the world was safe for me. He was a guardian in life and I just can’t imagine his changed circumstances have made him any different. It comforts me on bad days sometimes, my teddy bear puppy bluffing his tough guy image to the world is still looking out for me, usually for somebody to give kisses, but he really tried to convince strangers he was tough by barking really loud at new people. Then follow them to the bathroom and whine until they come back out to play and get more kisses. See? Tough guy. Sadly, I don’t have a talent for finding words of comfort… but perhaps I can send my Guardian Dog Angel to watch over you. Raven likes people, hugs, and gives kisses with far more enthusiasm than he receives them. He just wants to scurry about in all his fluffiness and check stuff out to make sure everyone is safe, then lie down somewhere to watch and guard. If he feels there is danger, he will bark in a disembodied way to warn you, and then hide behind you. Yes. But if you are scared, too, he will comfort you with kisses. Don’t worry, as a guardian puppy his slobber is greatly reduced, probably because he can no longer stand with his paws on the water fountain until someone pushes the button for him. He also liked to go down the covered twisty slides at the park by himself. Then prance about if anyone applauded. And lie down to sleep on the table part of the picnic table. :) His greatest gift in life was making people smile… and I hope his remembered silliness brightened your day, even if just for a moment. He was a sweet boy, he really would stay with you and bring you his ball, and lie down somewhere to watch over you. If you feel a bit of imagined fluff brush against you, surely my puppy is watching over the mother of someone who loves animals with such a wonderful sense of humor and who brightens the days of so many people. That dog had a gift for finding random men at the park to run about with, and I imagine your son might easily be one of them, and once Raven liked your son, his loyalty just kind of transferred to the people belonging to his friend. I hope you feel better soon, and your days are filled with love, hugs, and some silliness to make you smile until the darkness passes.

180. KariAnn65 says:

Ditto what Mary said! Yesterday was a tough day for me. Just was. Thank you for the “hang in there kitty.” Has made my morning! Thank you for helping my heart today. I wish for your Mom some joy, love and hugs this day. May her spirit be lifted by all of us who have commented here and wish her (and you) well. May God bless both of you today and always.

181. bookmonstercats says:

I hope I’m not too late to send my best wishes to MOMTOM. There are so many people who post on Cute Overload who admit to not being able to cope from time to time (myself included), and we all send support, and rainbows and hugs to each other. Naturally, as NOMTOM’s mother, whether you post or not, you are a Queen Peep and therefore much deserving of all the hugs, rainbows, bunnies, kittens and other fuzzies that can be sent from this site.

And that’s a lot!!

And you deserve every one of them!!!

182. Rachael says:

Dear MOMTOM. I can only imagine what a wonderful mom you’ve been to our NTMTOM, given what an incredible man he’s grown to be.

Please know that all our collective thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. No matter what your circumstances, even this shall pass. It’s the love of those around you and your own faith that will see you through it. ♥♥♥♥♥

183. DEAR MOMTOM. YOU MUST NEVER GIVE UP! YOU CAN GET WELL. I WILL PRAY FOR YOU AND I HOPE YOU HAD A NICE DAY ON MOTHER’S DAY! SINCERELY CAROL

184. Diane in LA, you are keeling meee! They are both beee-utiful babies! Thank you for sharing!

185. Only just got here, but i must say anyway what a great son you raised, so you must be great as well. Love to both.

186. 260Oakley says:

“Don’t drop the potato” is now my second favorite “cheer up” phrase. “Keep your pecker up” still gets the top spot, though.

187. Dear MOMTOM,

I got here a little late, but I just wanted to wish you all the best. Hang in there, my dear. Just know you have the whole lot of us at CO cheering you on, sending you good thoughts and prayers. And thank you so much for your wonderful son – he makes us all so happy with his fabulous wit, and is a real blessing to us all. If I were younger and unattached, I’d probably be in the NOMTOM wedding line as well! ;)

188. Best wishes, MOMTOM! And thank you for raising such a brilliant wonderful son who brings joy to so many of us every day. I hope we can ‘bounce’ some of that right back to you!

189. Katrina says:

Dear MOMTOM,
    May I be the 186th person to tell you that life is not fair and yet the people who love us manage to even out the playing field for us. I wish you strength, flexibility of mind of body and I wish, of all things, that your wonderful NOMTOM gives you a gentle but heartfelt hug from me. Now, I give great hugs, just the kind that you like, so NOMTOM, it is up to you now, kiddoe! Best Wishes, Katrina

190. @260Oakley: Too right, my friend. I have had that quote taped to my monitor for the last 3 1/2 years as a daily reminder, and source of inspiration when I am feeling down and emotionally beaten.

@MOMTOM: I hope you are feeling better and pray that love and peace surrounds you and your loved ones.

191. I’m a little late,but that’s better than never :?
    Love your kid.
    Here is a hug,cause I’m not good with words.
    {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{MOMTOM}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
    Btw,you did good with your boy :)

192. MOMTOM,
    I’m a little late as I was traveling from Pennsylvania to Finland yesterday?/Saturday?. I lost almost half a day so I’m not sure when I was traveling. Anyway, I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day. I know it’s been said before, but your son must be a good egg for all the smiles he’s put on people’s faces through CuteOverload. Hugs & best wishes to you.

193. NTMTOM, it is a great pleasure to be able to respond enthusiastically to you when you send up the Bat Signal. You’re a gem and we’ve got your back. Smooch.

194. burghgal says:

I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day. Your son is a product of your upbringing. We feel the love.

I’d hug you if I could since I don’t have my mom to hug..

195. kallisto73 says:

Hugs, sharpy!

196. SwissSushi says:

Happy belated Mother’s Day, MOMTOM! You are plainly loved by your child, and honestly, the rest of us folks who love Cute Overload really do wish you the best. As a fellow lover of cute, you carry within you a love of life and things that heal the heart. Take care of and be kind to yourself.

Love,
    Swiss Sushi

197. Chantel says:

Wow, perfectly said Mary! On this note – all the best to Momtom xoxoxo

198. sunnylessmum says:

Dear MOMTOM,
    Happy Mother’s Day to you! Just saw NTMTOM’s post this morning otherwise I would have responded earlier! You must be quite an awesome person to have produced such a wonderful son. :) We all have our special gifts, and make unique contributions to life. One gift you have given us all here at C.O., is to express our heartfelt care and concern for you, to express our compassion for another living being. Thank you for your gift, and I hope your spirit is soothed, and that you are feeling more peace in your heart.
    Much love,
    Mary

199. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Yes, a beautiful quote and a meaningful song. Also one of my favorites.

200. Christine Lacagnina says:

Happy Mother’s Day MOMTOM! Hope you had a great day!

201. flutterby says:

Hey NTMTOM, please give your Mom best wishes (albeit late, but just as heartfelt) from another fan. Please keep us posted as to how she is doing…

202. Nobody left anything for me to say. :-(
    It’s all about me.
    No wait, it bears repeating: You have a wonderful son who loves you and cares for you and makes many many people all over the world laugh every day. I want to marry him.
    No wait, I’m married. But if I wasn’t married, I would want to marry him.
    No wait. I want to be his best friend so I could have dinner with him and he could make me laugh so hard that soup came out my nose. (I had a friend like that once.)

203. Hi Momtom, just a note to let you know that I am thinking of you – whoever you are! I’m a big believer in the power of positive thoughts, and so I am sending a bunch your way. When you’re a mom, everyday is Mother’s Day because of the blessing you have in your kids. Peace, prayers and blessings to you today -

204. Elizabeth Shaw says:

Hey Momtom, I’m praying for things to brighten up for you today!
    You have raised a hilarious daughter who brings the world smiles.
    Happiness is a warm puppy and a loving mom!

Eliz in Texas

205. Wait, wait for me. . . I know this is belated, but I just saw the post. (Too busy yesterday with my own kids on Mom’s Day!) I hope you are cheered and encouraged by the outpouring of messages from your son’s many enthusiastic fans! May God bless you and fill your cup to overflowing!

206. Fird Birfle says:

Signed,

“No, Wait !!” ;)

207. emelgee says:

A belated note for MOMTOM – I hope that your day was better than expected. I can only echo what others have said here – that your child loves you so much and he is clearly such a terrific person for brightening everybody’s day with his posts. I always try to escape with a terrific book when I’m feeling really blue. Shanteram or On Beauty (by Zadie Smith) are two that I would highly recommend as well written escapes. With warm wishes for better days around the bend, emelgee

208. I’m so sorry my comment is late. MOMTOM, I’m sure that having a son this thoughtful is a joy. Sending virtual hugs, bunnies, kittens, baby giraffes, piglets, hamsters and ducklings to cheer you. <3

209. Virginia says:

This is a bit late, but I want you to know that I have a look at this website to start my working day with a smile and your son brightens my day almost every day. I’m sure he does yours too. I hope you’re feeling better and your circumstances improve very soon – at least you know you’ve done a great job with Mike! With best wishes from Virginia in Sydney, Australia.

210. Dear Momtom

I just read Ntmtom’s message and this is my first ever post on CO. I am thinking of you tonight and wishing you all the best. I lost my Mom and being able to reach out and hopefully offer some comfort to you eases the loneliness. When you are feeling
    better I am available for adoption. :-)

211. Bablette says:

Dear MOMTOM:

Declining health and major life changes — I can’t imagine how difficult these things must be for you. No wonder you’re feeling down. I’m not remotely spiritual, so I can’t offer you prayers. And I’m short on inspirational sayings. But I sincerely hope there are some things that still give you pleasure and that you are spending as much time doing those things as humanly possible. I don’t know what you enjoy doing: Maybe you like eating really good chocolate, or reading trashy paperbacks with embossed covers or doing the cryptic crossword or watching reruns of The Rockford Files or patting smelly old dogs, or drawing horns on photos of politicians, or checking out Cute Overload — whatever it is, I hope you get to do as much of it as you like, whenever you like. Don’t be afraid to ask people for whatever makes you happy and whatever will make your life easier. Chances are, they’ll do their best to accommodate you.

And know this: Your son has given me more pleasure than should be legal — and I’ve never even met the man. I visit Cute Overload less for the photos than for his brilliant captions. (In fact, if Mike hasn’t written the caption, I can pretty much skip it because I know it will never measure up.) It’s obvious your son is literate and intelligent and funny and talented, and I’m sure you had a lot to do with shaping the way he sees the world. So you should pat yourself on the back, if you can. And if you can’t, ask someone to pat your back for you.

Keep your chin up, missus. There are lots of people rooting for you.

Bablette

212. Dear MOMTOM,
    Anyone who can raise such a funny and sweet son must be a true treasure. I am sorry you are feeling blue, and having health struggles. Hope that reading all the notes of encouragement people have posted for you cheers you up. Sending you gentle hugs and positive thoughts. I’d send you my kitty but she isn’t much of a traveler. Mostly just from the couch, to the food dish, and back to the couch. But she does send a meow and some nice purrs. Hugs!

213. i’m a sucker for hugs. don’t tell. rawr!

214. :)

215. Dear Mom of Mike,
    Hope your spirits have been lifted by all these lovely messages. Please just take it one moment at a time. Things will get better, they always do!
    Much love and happiness to you!

216. Bah, en Belgique francophone et en France aussi on dit “patate”, mais c’est un chouia familier, c’est du parlé de tous les jours. “Pomme de terre” s’utilise tout autant mais c’est le terme officiel quoi. ;-)

J’aime bien cette expression de Miyu, “Lache pas la patate!” Comme si c’était une grenade ;-D.

Longue vie à la pomme de terre, houHa!

217. En Belgique francophone et en France aussi on dit “Patate” mais c’est un peu plus familier que le terme “pomme de terre” qui est plus général/officiel. La patate a le petit coté sympa qui va avec. ;-)

218. it may be late, but i hope all the wishes may come forth and you may see that every day that your heart gets a bit stronger little by little… xoxoxoxox

219. Jéssica says:

Hope MOMTOM can still read and feel the good vibes I’m sending from Brazil :) I was thinking just a minute ago how Cute Overload is the thing that produces more endorphines in me, so let’s pray that it happens to your mom too. Kisses to both, you deserve it