Close Encounters of the Cow Kind

The cows are acting real weird again. They haven’t been the same since Buttercup got abducted by the mothership.

Typical Friday night for Kelly L., who took this photo of an actual cow abduction in progress two week old Jersey bull calf photobombed by a three week old Jersey heifer calf.

Comments

1. skippymom says:

Holy carp, what is going on today? First I find out that doomchild gets to bottle-feed calves for her job, and now this!
    I don’t know how many people here know this, but I LOVE cows and calves. I’m now feeling a desperate need to smooch one of their sweet moist nosicles, but there are no cows near where I live now.

2. ashagato says:

“this means something….”

holy cow!

3. how did i miss a bottle-feeding calf conversation?

4. Once A Fish says:

Quick! Someone get Mulder and Scully on the line!

5. Rachael says:

I’m right there with you. I adore cows. I mean really, what could be more adorbs? I think the calf in that pic looks a lot like Norman from City Slickers.

Also, what’s funnier than animal photobombs?? Nothing.

6. skippymom says:

When my grandmother and I would be going somewhere in the car, if we passed a cow farm we would quickly roll down our windows so that we could inhale the lovely manure aroma.

7. Helllloooo up there in the saucer, can I bum a ride to the Milky way? I have a delivery to make.

8. skippymom says:

My grandmother had some cousins who had a big cow farm, and once when we were visiting a boy who worked there entertained us by squirting milk directly from the cow into the mouth of a cat who was sitting a distance away. If you’ve never seen that, you need to .

9. Madame X says:

10. *ponders Roy shaping the mountain out of cow patties*

11. Fird Birfle says:

@ skippymom re. item timed 12:41:

“so that we could inhale the lovely manure aroma” 8-O

JUST to indulge my intolerance, couldn’t you have told a leetle teensy fib,
    and said that you and she did that, to smell the FRESHLY MOWN GRASS?????

*sigh*

12. Fird Birfle says:

1: SIDE-eye!!!
    2: cows, calves, heifers do indeed posess grooviness.

3: “BUTTERCUP(s)” !!!! = YAY

Carolina Buttercup

(sighs in nostalgia, for fields of “tiny, SHINY” buttercup blossoms in
    ol’ [Alexandria] Virginnie….ca 1970s) — Fairfax Co (which is a LARGE county;
    we lived near Fort Hunt Park, zip 22308.

13. Fird Birfle says:

is this related to making mountains, outta molehills????

*shifty eyes*

14. Fird Birfle says:

THAT is awesome.
    Can you schedule a demonstration?

I’m available any weekday, next week, btw 2-4 pm.

15. Theresa says:

My dad’s property used to be surrounded by cow pastures (South Florida, now overdeveloped, of course). I used to think it was so funny to walk up to the pasture fence because cows are as curious as cats. They HAVE to check you out. Also have fond memories of cutting across pastures in southern England and leading little cow parades. :D

16. Fird Birfle says:

Quite an appropos exclamatory phrase !!

17. warrior rabbit says:

Ha! Excellent.

18. phred's mom says:

I did that in Antrim, great fun. And Fird, the aroma of
    outdoor COW manure is actually kinda pleasant. Hard
    to believe, but it is. Not as pungent as horsey doo-doo.

19. phred's mom says:

Ah, you aren’t such a city slicker after all…

20. Fird Birfle says:

heh heh at City Slicker which in itself is Cow-ish.

NORMAN!!!

21. Fird, Think mashed potatoes.

22. 260Oakley says:

Photogs wishing to avoid the jitters caused by stray cowlets in pictures should switch to de-calf.

23. Fird Birfle says:

24. Fird Birfle says:

@ phred’s mom: okay!!

and @ Theresa: Now I Wanna lead a cow parade!!!

HEY the bulls’ and the cows’ peeps,
    oughtta CHARGE people for that service/ experience!!!

25. phred's mom says:

sounds like the voice of experience.

26. Gasp! “de-calf”–that is just awesome. I am totally cowed by your amazing wit. :)

27. victoreia says:

8-O

28. ashagato says:

why thank you, Fird :)

29. doomchild says:

Skippymom, I’ll try to take photos tonight and tomorrow. It’s just a bit too dark for my cell phone cam in the barn, but I’ll do what I can. Don’t expect any CO-quality art, though :/

30. Saffron says:

One of my fave songs…AND awesome shiny puffy shirt and bell bottoms.
    *sighs happily*

31. dubyah1 says:

True Crime Story: an escaped convict was found miles away from the penitentiary near Winnipeg: he was lying down in a ditch, completely hidden by the thick grass . . . but encircled by an entire herd of curious moos. Fortunately there must have been some country boys in the Force who knew bovine behaviour!

32. Theresa says:

Crimefighting Cows!!! :lol:

33. shouldn’t that be “Close EnCownters”?

34. skippymom says:

Ms. Birfle, if you can arrange to have a cat present at your apartment, I will stop by with a cow next Tuesday at 3:17 to demonstrate the milk-squirting trick. Since the feline volunteer may not already know the trick, we will have to practice, likely involving spraying milk all over the cat’s face several times before he/she gets the hang of it. Please have available plenty of Hello Kitty bandages.

35. Kelly L. says:

OMG! I got on Cute Overload! I literally screamed and scared the bagoodness out of my husband!!! Thanks :D :D :D :D