Profiles in Courageous Braveness

During the Guinea Pig/Hamster War of 1872, Sgt. Horatio Hooverson plunged three miles behind enemy lines to carry an injured soldier safely back to base on his back. Sgt. Hooverson, we salute you!

Clarity M. says: “Hello! My kids (ages 1 and 4) love to look at the cuteness on cuteoverload. Last year we submitted a photo of our guinea pig Hugo wearing a tiny crown. Well, now Hugo has a companion named Mrs. Hooverson (who is male…that’s what you get when you let a 4 year old pick the name).”

Comments

1. Mrs. Hooverson is a spectacular name!

2. skippymom says:

Particularly for a male!

3. The photo is adorable. The write-up is priceless. Long live guinea pig heroes!

4. Scout C says:

Not that there’s anything wrong with that….

5. I love it–the whole story is awesome!

6. emmelemm says:

I had a guinea pig when I was a tot. I named it Wilbur, after Charlotte’s Web. Then I found out it was a girl. So I called it Wilburina. A little cumbersome, but not bad..

7. skippymom says:

Not at all. In fact, I am inspired by this to begin addressing my Eddy as “Mrs. Edward”.
    Have I mentioned that I used to work for the Confuse-A-Cat company?

8. skippymom says:

Oh, and by the way: CALICO peeg!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Now that’s how you give a piggy back ride!

10. Starfish says:

*snerk*

Have some WIN, it’s on me.

11. Once A Fish says:

Our family used to own a cat named “Flipper” that we always referred to with the pronoun “she”. It was just one of those things. We’d take “her” to the vet and the vet would ask us the usual questions, and we’d say “she”, and the vet would lift up the poor Flip’s tail to double check… and then the vet would ask us if we knew that “she” was a boy. Yeah, we knew…. like I said, it was just one of those things…

12. he ain’t heavy, he’s my brother!

13. I saw a blog once that was “written” by a male guinea pig named Mabel.

14. I love abyssinian guinea pigs. They look like they’re having a permanent bad hair day. It’s adorable.

15. That reminds me of my cousins, who had a pet walking stick when they were little. Yep, that’s right, a walking stick as a pet. His name was Fred, until the day we all went to visit the insect museum and found out all walking sticks are female. He then became Fredita :)

16. That’s cause dogs are boys and cats are girls, duh!

17. JenDeyan says:

It’s so fluffy I could just die!

18. I’m hearing Johnny Cash singing “A Boy Named Sue…”

19. Fird Birfle says:

YAY skippymom and Eddy!!!

20. Fird Birfle says:

now THAT’s dedication to one’s role!!!

21. Fird Birfle says:

“Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee” !!!!!!

PS: my sister worked at the Smithsonian Instit. in DC., during the two yrs while they were developing the Insect Zoo Department, helping them to get that developed and opened (her college degree was into Journalism, not buggies).

I never could figure out, in my head, how she wanted to spend such a lot of time around all them critters. I mean, I’m all for cute and diversity in cute; but the closest that I can manage to get to that, is in appreciating Flutterbyes and tiny little crabby critters and stuff like that. I admire what she did; it’s just that if you meet her, you surely wouldn’t think she would “go that way”, so to speak :)

22. Fird Birfle says:

YAY

*pompoms engaged*

23. Fird Birfle says:

that works for me ….

24. Blue Footed Booby says:

How dare you make light of guinea pig gender issues!! Harrumph I say!

HARRUMPH!!!!

25. If all walking sticks are female, how do they reproduce?

26. Yay Nancy! I’m also here to say…”the road is long…..with many a winding turn, while we’re on the way, to where… who knows where…..he ain’t heavy!!!!!!”

27. Sorry – the hover text should have been “A good soldier never leaves a ham behind”

*snicker*

28. Qchan05 says:

Mrs. Hooverson is a freaking awesome name.

29. Theresa says:

Can you get me a job there? I’d be very good at it!

30. Theresa says:

I didn’t get a harumph out of you. :P

31. Theresa says:

Hey, has anyone seen the Queen of Dork schloomphing around?

32. Lil Hugo looks like he’s put on a little neck chub since last time…

33. I laughed for a good two minutes [belly laugh] after I read the hover text.

Also, Mrs Hooverson has the best hair! It’s like one of those troll dolls at the rear. Impressive!

34. victoreia says:

:lol:

35. Fird Birfle says:

Theresa —

I’ve been getting emails from her.
    Even those have been less-frequent in the past few days, though.
    I’m aware, that this week “some particulars” at her job, are different from most weeks, and that might have things busier than usual???

As of midday Mon, she was at work & things were “fine, but B-Z”

I can report, HAPPILY, that she has kicked her “ex” (home) laptop “to the curb”. Sometime in the past two weeks, she bought a new computer for the Princess of D and herself.

Also

Signed,
    The QoD (in absentia) Division.

also known as the Joy Division

(written approx 5:30 am Weds, Fla)

36. Rachael says:

I can just barely handle all the redonkulous floof! And I agree, Mrs. Hooverson is an awesome name!

37. Emmberrann says:

Parthenogenetically, is how. Where I got that word, i don’t know. It comes in with “crossword information” that I imbibed at Mother’s knee (Mom was a crossworder par excellence).

38. Emmberrann says:

Di-unt work for Mr. Picky. He was a boy cat, thru and thru.

39. ceejoe says:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I loff peeegs!

40. Jimbeaux says:

Give the governor a harumph!

41. Fird Birfle says:

So noted, ceejoe!!! Carry on :)

42. rooanne says:

Why did we not learn about the Guinea Pig/Hamster war of 1872 in school? Or is was it just my education that was deficient?

Anyway it sure looks like Hugo is happy to have a companion (rescuer).

43. rooanne says:

Or dear, I didn’t mean to say “is was”!! Guess my education was deficient after all!

44. Theresa says:

Daddy love Froggie! Froggie love Daddy? :P

45. ceejoe says:

hahaha… I just re-read NOMTOM’s commentary, and realized that when Clarity M says, “My kids (ages 1 and 4),” she’s talking about her human biped kids, not the piggehs in teh pic, as I originally assumed!

46. i wanna ”Guinea Piggy-Back ride”, too !

47. Theresa says:

8O

48. Watch yer ass.

49. Clarity M. says:

I’m so glad Mrs. Hooverson is bringing everyone so many smiles. Our son’s second choice name (after Mrs. Hooverson) was Cramp Tomato. I have no idea where he gets these things- he’s a hilarious kid :)

50. i see backstage passes in your future.