The C.O. Guide to Fresh Fruit

6971716330_7b12a77379_zNutritious yet delicate, bananas are among the most troublesome for the average consumer. Fresh from the tree, bananas have a green color (top) and are often too firm and bitter to enjoy. For best flavor and texture, the banana must be allowed to ripen until its complexion takes on a plain yellow color (bottom).

When bananas acquire dark spots (left) they must be consumed promptly before they spoil. When the banana begins to make a mewing noise (right), it must be removed from its protective peel and gently snorgled.

Nugget is very a-peel-ing, Kelly P. (Top bananas photo by Ian Ransley.)

Comments

1. I shall gladly eat this banana, despite the large dark spots. :D

2. 260Oakley says:

Pat of a litter of adoptable kittens known as the Bananas Foster.

3. 260Oakley says:

Make that a bunch of kittens…

4. Meow meow meow meow…Bananaphone.

5. MymaJane says:

*Gasp* I have a bunch of bananas in my kitchen RIGHT NOW. I’m going to peel all of them to see if there are any kittens inside!

6. withak30 says:

Bananagrams is a great game.

7. kibblenibble says:

NOMTOM: Master of the scrolldown!

8. Grabby hands on kitty banana and splits.

9. They grow in bunches . . . I have my hunches

10. Make sure kitty banana doesn’t get mashed for banana bread! Those next to him look ready to go.

11. SlaveToCat says:

If Home Depot has flocks of birds in the birdseed isle. Why doesn’t the grocery store have herds of kitties in the banana isle? I think something is amiss my dear Watson.

12. kittykat416 says:

Our favourite Nugget returns!

13. Queen of Dork says:

*schloomphs into kitchen in bathrobe and slippers. “hmmmmmm. the banana is mewing.” peels. snorgles. (yummy!)

14. Queen of Dork says:

ouch. claws.*

15. Fird Birfle says:

*giggles, then gives QoD a Hello Kitty bandage to make it all betteuw*

16. Queen of Dork says:

*whispers very dramatically from feinting couch*

thank you.

17. victoreia says:

WIN, twice in a row.

18. victoreia says:

Oy!

(And, niiice one, Gigi!)

19. victoreia says:

Queenie, what are you feinting to distract us from?

20. Queen of Dork says:

You would feint too, victoreia if you went to peel your banana, snorgle the contents and it scratched half your face off.

21. Fird Birfle says:

victoreia has become so adept at the art of malfeasance that she sees schemers everywhere……

*sigh*

22. Fird Birfle says:

(wonders whether I dare mention the diffrunce btw the meanings of “feinting” and
    “fainting” or whether someone might scratch half MY face off….

runs away, like Sir Robin in MP/ S/ H/Grail)

23. Hay, Fird!! Sumebuddy dug up a thesaurus from the back room;
    you can haz it to either look stuff up, or as a weapon, whichever you prefer…..; :shock:
    (On the other paw: you can loan it out for CO folks to use it as a soapbox;
    or prop the Bananana Kitteh onnit for a nappee; or……..ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ )

24. Bananas on the left look too far gone for me, the one on the right looks to be at peak purrfectness :-)

25. his little leggies aren’t even long enough to reach the leg-holes!! d’awwwww!

26. Queen of Dork says:

Oops. :( Oops. :(

27. Um, am I the only one who was looking for a cute critter in the first photo? I thought it was a Where’s Waldo situation….

28. Ali-Baba says:

Nope! I was looking for a wee tree froglet or perhaps a gecko, meeself! :-)

29. I was closely examining the first photo, too, half afraid I’d see a spidey, or something not cute! Thank goodness the second photo contains the real object of our awwwww!

30. bob drummond says:

Where can I get a fruitbowl like this ? It’s so cuuuuuute !! i like the one on the right end !

31. victoreia says:

I’ve never once found a kitteh in my bananas. NEVER!! It’s enough to make a grown woman cry. :cry:

32. Alice Shortcake says:

Bananas – high in purrtassium!

33. thelittlemyrmidon says:

Bananas that have a light sprinkling of brown freckles are perfect, because all the starches have converted to sugar. Once they develop black spots they are over-ripe and soft inside. Good for banana bread, though.

34. Fird Birfle says:

eeez okeh, Mme Queen.

LOTS of people don’t even know the term “feint” exists.
    So you ackshually have a wider vocabulary/ familiarity than many peeps!!!
    ;)

35. snoopysnake says:

And point-ted sticks! Shaddup!

36. Alas, I have a weird thing for bananas, they have about a 2 day window for me to like them, once they start getting brown freckles it’s game over (ick!). You’re right though, just excellent for banana bread, even better with chocolate chips :-)

37. There is unfortunately NO DEFENSE against tiny fuzzballs!

38. Fird Birfle says:

I couldn’t figger that one out, either.

Gollum is prolly somewhere about ….

39. Fird Birfle says:

(I haz a pout.
    Stoopid junky column 1922-era compooters in this apt property’s “alleged”
    compooter lab won’t run Theresa’s vid (or 80-elebenty other things.
    Majority of efforts give “HEY KID your apt mgr hasn’t gotten anything that
    will update the compatible programs (I think it was adobe something/other)
    so I won’t run you”

and then (as Q of D has described, elsewhere) it sticks its tongue out at me.

Signed,
    tr@umatically not-blessed
    with stateofthe/art compooterography.

*sigh*

40. From now on, I am going to schloomph everywhere.

41. Sorry, Firdie. :(

42. Fird Birfle says:

thank you for allowing me to briefly pout in re my “non-indulgent” apt
    “amenities” .

I’ll try to *cough* man-up, now.

FORTUNATELY, the Universe did allow me to view the awesome white floofiness that is the polar bear cub :) so that helped!

43. Fird Birfle says:

YAY
    Q has started a NEW ACTION VERB!!!

LONG LIVE THA QUEEN !!!! HUZZAH !!!!

44. If you keep them in the fridge, the peel turns brown but the ‘nanner stays good. Not so for kittens, though.

45. Yes, kittykat416 :D and just asking to be gently snorgled :D

46. Fird Birfle says:

*giggle*

47. Fird Birfle says:

:) YAY

also “yippee” “wahoo” “well-done!!” “yeehaw” and “huzzah!!”

48. Since no one has contributed this yet:

“i’m Chiquita Banana and I’m here to say,
    Bananas have to ripen in a certain way;
    When they are flecked with brown and have a golden hue,
    Bananas taste the best and are the best for you!

You can put them in a salad! You can put them in a pie-yi-yi!
    And no matter how you eat them, it’s impossible to beat them!

But bananas love the climate of a very very tropical e-qua-tor …
    So you must never put ba-nan-as … in the re-frig-er-ator! (no no no no!)
    (cha cha cha cha)

49. emmberrann says:

And an A-men to that! (P.S. Still awaiting the famous and as yet unpublished coffee table book, NTMTOM…..)

50. emmberrann says:

Isn’t it Winston-kitty who ackshually noms nanners? My late-and-much-beloved Picky turned his little black nose up at such. (I did try it once, just to see his reaction. Er, make that non-reaction.)

51. thelittlemyrmidon says:

I never put bananas in the ‘fridge. I leave them on the kitchen counter. Every time I go to the store, I get two or three and it takes 2-3 days for them to develop brown freckles. I never get more than that at one time, because they’ll get too ripe. So I usually have two with brown spots, two that are nearly all yellow and two that are still half green sitting on the counter. LOL!

52. This made me really crack up.

53. the look of patient suffering on kitty’s face is cracking me up. “Really guys? Banana jokes?”

54. Lerrinus says:

Good one! :lol:

55. Don’t feel bad. Mine doesn’t show any either!

56. Space Cowgirl says:

I usually only eat green bananas, but I’ll make an exception this time…