The Oral History Project, Tape 82: Froggie Recalls His Courting Years

“That’s right, young feller. I went a-courtin’ and I did ride, uh huh. Sword and pistol by my side, ’cause you never knew what kind’a trouble you might meet up with in them days. Now, this was back before they built the bridge over the interstate, so I had to hop right into traffic, cars comin’ both directions, and if’n you didn’t time your jumps just right — splat! It was game over, man, game over.”

What a ribbeting story, Sky H. (PS: The creator of this video claims that no special tricks were used, and that the frog was just sitting like this when they filmed it.)

Comments

1. WendyLady says:

Don’t know why, but “Sittin on the Dock of the Bay” is running through my head right now. :D

2. … and I remember wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

3. maddiehope says:

massive props on combining “Froggy Went A-Courtin'” and Frogger references. Epic.

4. Wow! Evolution in action!

5. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

“Give me five bees for a quarter,” you’d say…

6. I’l be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missourah. :P

7. PS: My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it. :P :P

8. and froggy inaction

9. 260Oakley says:

For his peculiar preference for dangling his legs off splintery benches, the frog earned himself the nickname “Long John Sliver.” Most frogs prefer a bit more lily padding under their ‘tocks.

10. Lipstick6 says:

All he needs now is a miniature corncob pipe and a tiny banjo.

11. We had to use the word “dickety” because the Kaiser had stolen our word “twenty”. We chased after him for dickety-six miles.

12. Ha! :-D

13. “I went up to Miss Mousie’s door, but I heard a lot of nasty barking and the sound of a gun being cocked, so I thought better of it.”

14. Um, I used a word that SOUNDS bad but isn’t so… pass the Moderation Lounge chip bowl! What’s on the teevee??

15. Threemoons says:

Um, hate to be a buzzkill, but go read the comments on the original vid, and look at around the 35 second mark.

This frog was pithed with a nail–nailed through to the bench–it also explains why he isn’t moving his legs.

Not cool :(

16. BWaHAHAHAHAHAHA! Snorf Chuckle and AHhahahahaha

17. That frog is totally nailed down to that bench. :-(

18. Dear Advertisers, I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television. We are not all vibrant, fun-loving sex maniacs. :P

19. Oh my God, is that true!? That’s horrible!

20. Ahhh! That’s the first thing that went through my head too! :lol:

21. I should have known that voice sounded familiar! How about this parallel comment: “Out of my way! I’m a motorist!”

22. oh my god!!!! that’s so horrible! i feel like i’m going to throw up now. :'(

23. Fird Birfle says:

NUTTIN’, honey!!

THAT’s why I migrated from my own apt over here to the computer lab to see
    CO. The gud stuff iz s’posed to be on, later tu-night.

*sigh*

24. Threemoons says:

BTW, I see I am hanging out in the Mod Lounge…I hope I didn’t shock anyone, just reporting on another viewer’s observation. Sorry.

*looks around for minibar, makes self a vodka tonic*

25. Fird Birfle says:

Here’s a picture from one of our county dances ‘back then ….

26. Fird Birfle says:

Y’ALL WILL NOT EVEN BELIEVE THIS:

(unf., I couldn’t locate a pic with BOTH a small smoking pipe and a banjo together.
    BUT a cat PLAYING a tiny banjo??? I thought THAT was better than usual luck :) )

27. Theresa, speak for yourself! :)

When I saw this vid on the news the other night, I figured it was just a matter of time before it ended up on CO with text by NOMTOM.

28. *spits terbacky juice*

29. Kari Callin says:

Frog sitting patiently waiting for his friend, Toad. Such a good froggy friend!

30. emmberrann says:

Fird, honey, wheyah d’yawl fahnd these amay-iz-in’ collectibles? Yawl hev jes’ got the most amay-iz-in ree-sauces!

31. Tinkertoki says:

I’m not exactly sure why, but this is just so hilarious to me! Hahaha!

32. Ellen Degeneres showed this video during a segment.She couldn’t stop laughing.

33. Sew Create It - Jane says:

It’s the original Kermit the Frog!

34. Mamabear says:

Ahhhhh! I LOVE Frog and Toad. I still laugh my head off when I read “Ice Cream” to my son.

35. Catsquatch says:

:tika tika tika tika tika:

THIS JUST IN!
    Crazy Captionator Continues to Cause Cardiac Concerns!

Yet again, the Captionator has struck in the fuzzy center of COville, causing readers to burst out in frighteningly hideous and maniacal laughter and roll around on their floors so much that they no longer need to mop.

This time the Captionator mixed messages from a beloved old folk song and a beloved old video game, doubling the damage as nostalgia added longing for “the good ole days” to the uncontrollable glee and unintended breakdancing in front of computers worldwide.

One reader known only as “Catsquatch” told us “It has to stop! I cant take much more! Im in fear for my very life! Whats gonna happen to my husband if I die laughing?!?!?!?”

When will the Captionator strike again?
    Will the authorities ever catch up with the Captionator?
    Who else will succumb to the Captionators crazy captions?
    Tune in next week when we show the filim at eleven!

:tika tika tika tika tika:

36. Catsquatch says:

Oh, and thats actually a toad, and he didnt sit that way all by hisself. ;)

37. Five French chefs are watching this with drool hanging down their chins.

38. No. It’s not true. But thanks for playing!

39. It’s okay, froggy is okay. You can still throw up if you want to. It happens a lot in the Moderation Lounge.

40. No it’s not.

41. buzzkill.

42. victoreia says:

Or a close relative! (Maybe he’s also related to Michigan J. Frog?)

43. victoreia says:

Where’s your catchy news theme-music?

44. Watching animals sit like humans is oddly entertaining.

45. Catsquatch says:

Oh yeah!

:DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNN!:

46. Catsquatch says:

Seriously? It inserted a smiley instead of what I typed? Seriously?

47. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

Yep! A colon — : — plus a capital “D” is automatically converted into a “big smile” icon. To avoid this, put a space between the characters.

We now return you to the Catsquatch News Report. :)

48. Dat frog is wading for da bus to take him to da gardenshop.
    He wishes to buy some crocus.

49. Martha in Washington says:

I picture Ol’ Mr. Frogger with a shotgun, yelling at the neighborhood kids…”You no-account kids stay offa my lawn!”

50. Fird Birfle says:

v, I dun’ tol’ ya tuh keep yer grubby paws, offa mah MAN — er — FRAWG.

Harrumph.

51. Fird Birfle says:

Th: BWA HA HA atcher “bona-fide” audio-visual accompaniment.

emmberrann: Why, ma’am; thankye so verreh kindleh.

Thishyere is one partick’lar place that Ah find,
    tuh have a raht nahse see-lec-sholon.

52. He’s chillin’, waiting for the bus cuz his car got toad…

53. can haz heem? want to hang out afta wuk.

54. victoreia says:

:P

55. Wow. Reer to you too.

56. Does this frog know Scrambles the cat?

57. I knew this guy reminded me of someone more well known…

58. bob drummond says:

Mine ,too ! I loved that song- and now I’ll love it even more !!!

59. That´s not really cute, but more bizarre, hehe. ;)

60. awwww, don’t take it like that!

61. German newspaper took the Vid of their site, becaus a frog just cannot sit like that without being nailed or being sedated. It’s just not possible for afrog to sit in such a position.

62. hey, i’m just joshin’!

63. so how does a frog live with a nail through it’s bum?

64. Fird Birfle says:

*gosh do I ever know how gut-collapsing it can be when I’ve said
    something written and not realized that without a facial expression to
    give the story a mischevious tone, I’ve left the impression I meant to bop somebody”

Signed,
    That’s no fun.
    Been there, done that . :(

65. EXACTLY what I was thinking!! Kermit singing the Rainbow Connection…LOL

66. Queen of Dork says:

I have alot of experience with frogs. My sister and I played with them all the time when we were kids. (And more than a few times as adults. ahem) But I’ve NEVER seen one do this. He so looks like an old man sitting on a bench somewhere having issues with everthing and everybody he sees. Like: “danged kids. what are they doing over there? Hey! get off my lawn! crap. my water bill sucks this month. danged water bill. ijits at the Dept of Water Works are morons. Hey! my cable is off again! *couch, cough* danged sun spots”. *Shakes fist (??) at sky. DANG YOU, YOU FLIMSLY SATELLITES!*

67. Catsquatch says:

Hi Juemik :)
    A frog does not sit in that position of its own accord, its true.
    But the frog was not nailed there, nor was it sedated with drugs.
    An old trick advertising companies use is cold.
    When a mouse or frog or other small creature is needed to be still for a photo shoot, the advertisers place the small animal in the refridgerator for about 10 minutes, which causes it to become sleepy and move slowly or simply sit where it was placed.
    This little guy was probably chilled, then placed on the bench in that sitting position for the video of him chillin to be taken ;)

68. Fird Birfle says:

*giggle*

69. “Dear Mr. President,

There are too many states these days. Please eliminate two. I am not a crack pot!”

Love Grandpa Simpson. Dickety six!

70. Threemoons says:

Sharpy,

High-school science; if you “pith” a frog–ie damage the spine at the base of the skull–it will continue to breathe, etc it just can’t move. Used for “live dissection” (yes it is what it sounds like; not done at most high schools anymore).

So, literally, yeah, a nail in the right place could paralyze it while keeping it alive and holding it upright. Sad and gross but true.

71. Sharpy says:

oh gross. i’m sorry you had to know that. and i’m sorry i have to know it now too. i will now put on some rose-colored glasses, pull my head back into my shell, then put it in the ground and stick with the QTE version of everything. :)

72. Hailey says:

Jus’ waitin for mah bus to arrive..reminds me of forest gump.

73. e-beth says:

meebee he waiting to get kissed?

74. “momma always said, life is like a box of chocolates(bugs) you never know what you gonna get.”

75. Oh my, he looks so sad! :|