Duh-va-gubble Duh-va-gutch Duh-va-gog!

Malcolm McLaren would have loved this: New Yorkers Samantha and Scott show Geronimo the ropes, and the two-year-old pound rescue jumps right in.

Fa-va-gave Fa-va-grame™!

Comments

1. 1. I always stunk at double-dutch, and let me tell you, that is a social handicap in Brooklyn.
    2. Geronimo rocks!
    3. So if Geronimo goes skydiving, does he yell “MEEEE!”? :P

2. Mind. Blown.

3. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

With all the tricks this couple are teaching her, I think you may get an answer to question 3 before long. ;)

4. I am told by my resident music expert that the headline is from a song called “Double Dutch Bus.” I have no recollection of this song but He Who Must Be Kissed says it was a big hit in Philly. (As I grew up in San Francisco, perhaps I can be excused for not knowing it.)

5. 260Oakley says:

Damn skippy!

6. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

That song, by Frankie Smith, was a respectable hit in 1981, peaking at 30 on the Billboard hot 100 and winning two RIAA gold records. It wasn’t just big in Philly; I remember it too. Details at Wikipedia.

7. No stinkin’ way. Unreal. That dog is thinking “I’m in heaven, right?” yes you are Geronimo and so am I watching this.

8. Wow, the things you learn about your spouse. I just played the video on You Tube and my guy knew all the words. Since it was written in and references his home town, I guess I can understand that. But I have never heard this before. NTMTOM, thanks for giving my sweetie a flashback to his youth.

9. Like Theresa stunk at double dutch, luckily there was another game, played with a long elastic loop. kind of a cross between jumping rope and cat’s cradle that I was good at.

10. rescue gal says:

You must be a young ‘um. Double Dutch Bus was EVERYWHERE.

11. rescue gal says:

For those with good taste in music, you might want to watch with the sound turned way down. Still looks totally amazing without the horrific assault on the ears.

12. Well I was in college when this was a hit. But then again I was in my new wave phase (hey, I was a acting major) so I was probably too busy dressing in black and listening to Joy Division.

13. It’s Emo Bunny!

14. NO. WAY. !!!!

15. “This trick took 5 straight weeks until it was perfect for me to call complete. I practiced it every single day, several hours a day.”

Well, it was fun until I read that.

16. I’ve seen this clip on other sites and ignored it. I just didn’t believe it could be as good as the hype But it is, and it’s so awesome! It’s awesome times 10! Really fun camera work too!

17. Oh yeah. It went around the ankles, didn’t it? I don’t remember what it was called but we had that as well. I was hopeless at both. I was given a double helping of klutz at birth and have only acquired more as life goes on.

18. My absolute favorite part is the dog’s obvious delight! Tongue hanging out, hop hop hopping – he rocks.

19. The very next sentence there is: “Now, there are alot of hours in a day, folks, and I like frequent breaks (although mo wonders why we are stopping and not jumping all day long ;)”
    I’d say Geronimo looks mighty happy with all that exercise and attention he’s getting.

20. boing boing boing boing! such a happy dog :)

21. Here in Oz it was called “elastics”. Don’t know what you called it over there though. I was hopeless at it but had fun trying. I didn’t even attempt double dutch as I knew full well it was beyond my ability. Good onya Geronimo.

22. Mine. Too. :)

23. Once again proving that rescue dogs are the bestest! The joy expressed in Geronimo’s entire body just blows me away. ♥♥♥

24. We called it the same thing In Québec “élastiques” (in French) I didn’t know it was played anywhere else.

25. Here in Chicago – well, in the 60’s anyway – we called that elastic thingie a Chinese Jump Rope. I was pretty good at it because the elastic didn’t “catch” on my slippery leather saddle shoes.

I still have a scar on my upper lip from my one and only day of double-Dutch jump rope. And I wish I were making up the part about wearing saddle shoes.

26. Two fave parts:
    Sideways sproinging at 0:27, and at the end where his human hugs him.
    Awesome doggeh!!!!

27. Yes! And yes!

28. Just to join in, we had that in Finland as well! We didn’t really have a proper Finnish name to it, it was known as “twist” (but pronounced à la finlandaise [fisty], at least in the region I am from).

29. The same simple “home made” child game played in Canada, Australia, Finland and the U.S. it really is a small world after all (cue Disney music)

30. He’s of a working dog breed – who are frustrated as hayle when they’re not given something to do. I bet Geronimo here is the happiest dog on his block!

31. I complely agree. Adorable, cute dog; absolute crap music.

32. “In, Out, Side, Side, On, In, Out!” :)

33. I just love examples of humans and their animals loffing each other!!

34. fleurdamour says:

OMD (oh my dawg)!

35. Why is no one else freaking out about the back flip with the frisbee at the beginning 0:12? How can I teach my dog that? How can I get my dog to stop napping long enough to start to teach him that?

36. I sympathize, Theresa. As a typical Virgo I made the mistake of overthinking the process of DD & therefore terrified myself into sucking at it! Lol! So I can only feel grateful I didn’t grow up in Brooklyn. :D

37. Good point! Haha!

38. Yes, Chinese jump rope! We had all kinds of things called Chinese that were in no way shape or form, Chinese. :mrgreen:

39. Have you ever seen that thing? About three minutes in, you’re like “Ok, I get it, it’s a small world!” :P

40. Yes I have, I’m proud to say I escaped with my sanity mostly intact and my ears only bled for an hour or so afterward.

41. fleurdamour says:

My sole experience with double dutch at the age of 6 in Austin, TX ended quickly with me dissolved in tears from being lashed with two jump-ropes wielded by merciless co-first graders. Lucky I didn’t live in Brooklyn until well into adulthood.

42. Oceanview says:

We had it in Sweden too, about mumble-mumble years ago, also called “twist”, but pronounced as “tvist” since we don’t have W in the alphabet, but it shows up sometimes in names.

43. 6rabbits says:

In Indiana, too. No idea why it was called that! If you sucked at either this or double dutch, recess was torture. (Yes, I was jump rope-impaired.)

44. 6rabbits says:

Interesting…using s*u*c*k*ed gets you tossed into moderation! There should be cuddly baby animals in here, as well as food!

45. victoreia says:

It’s best when you’re about seven-ten years old. After that age bracket, it does tend to turn your brain to mush…..

46. Emmberrann says:

Happydog, Happydog, Happydog!
    Every dog should have this much fun. Can’t say I could provide it, mind, but Geronimo is reveling! Ears up, eyes bright, tail wagging, tongue lolling! Me, LOL-ing, mouth agape.

47. Emmberrann says:

How would we get them onto the screen if they were being kept in the Mod Lounge? And we’re having hazelnut coffee with warm ruggeleh and Russian coffee cake at this hour, TYVM.

48. Emmberrann says:

P.S. In fact, every PERSON should have this much fun!

49. tommygirl says:

WIN!!

50. DON’T teach your dog to back flip!

I had a cat who in her younger years often back flipped while leaping after whatever I was using to play with her with–and as a result, in her last few years, from age 16 to age 18 1/2, she limped badly with deteriorated back discs caused by all that flipping, and she had to have opioid pain meds to ease her discomfort.

My sweet, lovely Lila died last July. I miss her terribly, but it broke my heart that she limped so badly during her last few years because I didn’t prevent her early back flipping and in fact actually encouraged it sometimes!

I bet that a dog, especially one that size, would end up with even more back problems from back flipping like that. Geronimo is a great jump-rope star, but I wish they would not encocurage him to do those back flips.

51. My toddler loves this video. And I’m just amazed by this dog’s incredible talent.