Rule of Cuteness #52: The “Sneaky Sleepy Peek Technique” C’est Chic

We’ve seen this look before: That noncommittal lifting of the eyelid juuust enough to see who’s out there, and Flickr-er apanoply‘s mai-shi Berkley totally nails it.

We bet Berkley would wake up for a slice of PEEK-HANCE pie!

Comments

1. yes he’s quite cute and all… but when are we gonna get our danged eyebrow dot rule?!

2. kittykat416 says:

I sometimes do this to my kitties when I don’t want them to know I’m awake (lest the meowing and pestering for head scritches and food starts…)

3. pinkmariposa says:

My doggie makes that same lil mouth he is part poodle part shituzu (sp?) That is so cute when it is really late I carry my doggie off to beddy by and he yawns gives me that one eye look….so cute….

4. victoreia says:

Ya’know, I’ve tried that with mine, but I think they can tell by the change in my breathing…..

5. victoreia says:

LOVE the hovertext, NOMTOM!

6. Fird Birfle says:

A most-inspirational string o’ rhymin’ woids there: “Sneaky, sleepy Peak Technique,
    C’est Chic”.

Also — YAY “Sleppy” Tag !!!

*waves pompoms like a crazy person; cuz’, why not???*

7. “Peek-Hance Pie”!! Oh how I love you NTMTOM. :)

8. He’s sleeping with one eye open.

9. Awwwww . . . FREAK OUT!

10. Yay tracylee! I’m right behind you!!

11. “Sleppy” tag? NTMTOM, you know I think you deserve the Nobel Prize for Literature, but you GOTTA do something about that spelling…

12. This reminds me of a story my mother told me – one morning she came to drag my teenage carcass out of bed in the dark cold harsh Maryland wintertime. I opened one eye and told her, “You clash.” Then, I went back to sleep.

I have no memory of this, but considering what I was like as a teenager, I would not be surprised that I did this. I suspect that if this pup had said that to my mom, she would have been a lot happier about it.

13. They KNOW. They would know if you were mostly dead, but still partly alive enough to open the food can. THEY JUST KNOW.

14. Love his sweater!

15. Puppers tries to reason with its human: look, this sweatew, although totally fetching one me, is entirely unnecessary. The room is reasonable heated, my beddie-bye has flannel sheets and did I mention I come with a built-in fur coat?

16. Mary (the first) says:

I used to try that too, but you can’t fool a cat. Like Mrs. X says, THEY JUST KNOW and will not be denied! And then I’d start laughing and ruin the fakeout.

17. My dogs know too. Well, one of them is blind so it’s obviously easy to fool him into thinking I’m still asleep. But usually the first thing I see every morning is my chihuahua with her silly face about 6 inches from mine, just waiting to greet me (and sniff my mouth – I have to open wide so she can insert her snout to make sure it’s really mommy *eye roll* ). There is just no fooling that little snickerdoodle!

18. One of my tabbehs does this too! I often wonder how he knows I am awake versus just shifting while asleep.
    Cats!

19. Stressfactor says:

My goggie does this to me when I’m petting her and I think she’s finally dropped off so I quit petting then she cracks open an eye and looks at me like “Don’t quit, I’m not asleep just yet.”

20. Waiter, there is too much pup-rekash in your peek-hance pieeee…

21. haha. Mine does the same :)

22. You can’t beat a good When Harry Met Sally reference!

23. victoreia says:

Two thumbs up!

24. It’s a Cute Overloadism. Someone used to spam the comments with a link to their dog “slepping,” and it just stuck. :D

25. It’s a sneak peep!

26. I love the sleepy sneak peak! :)