That’s How He Rolls

A pair of deformed front legs left Roosevelt, a border collie in Maine, unable to do what border collies love most: run. But his new owners fitted him with a $900 pair of all-terrain wheels, and now Roosevelt’s rolling right along.

Full story, more pics at the Bangor Daily News.

Comments

1. They see me rollin’ they barking.

2. I love this story. I love that his peeps not only thought he deserved a loving home but as full and complete a life as possible. Roosevelt doesn’t know he’s different – he knows only that he is loved. And whatever his owners give to him, they get back 1000 fold. ♥♥♥

3. WOW! Roosevelt got air !!!

4. Julia Parris says:

This brought both a smile to my face and tears to my eyes.

5. Chihgirl says:

What a sweet boy–so cute to see how happy he is when he’s got his wheels! And bless these owners for loving and understanding him for who he is…(-:

6. I totally agree! My boyfriend always tells me that disabled animals don’t feel sorry for themselves as they cannot see how they’re different, but it still makes me sad when I see an animal struggle and suffer. Although he might not have been sad before, he’s so much happier now. Fox Family, thank you for sharing!

7. So heartwarming!!

8. Adore!! Super sweet! Plus, hovertext WIN! : )

9. yaaayyyy Roosevelt!
    d’awww, who’s a good boy? Yes you are!

10. Roosevelt! As in FDR!? Bwahahaha, good name. XD

11. Zoomin’!!!

12. kittykat416 says:

*sneef*
    *sheds small tear*

13. I love that his people bothered to outfit him with all terrain wheels but that chain is bothering me. Hopefully they did this for the photo set, and not he’s chained up out in the yard all of the time.

That is a gleeful smile!

14. F.D.R. … Free Dog Rolling

15. Actually it looks like the chain goes to and through the plastic pipe at the bottom of the picture. I’ve seen such things used as a gate.
    And I think that pvc pipe on the ground is how he got air. lol
    yee haw :-D

16. now when he speeds along he can chase himself, making much more sense than chasing one’s tail under different circumstances

17. I used to have a red and white border collie, he was awesome! I love that this guy has peeps who love him so much. “Rolling rolling rolling, keep that puppeh rolling…”

18. Props to Roosevelt and his people! Check out Popeye the Formosan Mountain dog, who uses his set of wheels to keep up with all his mom’s foster dogs, and his set of oversized ears to charm the pants off everyone.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/popeyethedog
    Old site with great pictures: http://popeyethedog.com/

19. The chain seems to go into that white pipe. Wonder if that is a parking spot indicator?

20. Ellen W. says:

The chain is part of the outdoor trail- it goes through the pipe you can see at the bottom of the pic and when the trail is closed they shorten the chain which raises the pipe. Or shorter- chain not attached to dog! Doggee runs free!

21. The chain is on the tree stump in the background, probably a trail barrier. In YouTube vids Roosevelt is pictured “free-wheelin'” everywhere, even trailing a leash in a downtown photo.

22. I don’t think that chain is even attached to Roosevelt, actually. It looks to me like it’s going into that white PVC pipe or something.

23. Ok, I can see it going into the barrier now by his foot. thanks!

24. Me too–what a great story! Yay for people who love their pets this much. Roosevelt could not have found a better home.

25. Fird Birfle says:

awwww HECK

*SOBBING MESSILY, leaving a huge pool of saltwater on the floor*

26. SlaveToCat says:

He rolls softly but chases a big stick.

27. ROTFL Nice! That’s what I thought of …

28. Beautifully put!

29. OH! So THAT’s how you spell that (hovertext Nearm…)! Thank you very much, NTMTOM!!

I agree! Heartwarming story but fantastic hovertext!!

30. HAW

31. Once A Fish says:

I know this family, and that’s just the chain that hangs across the end of the private access road (through the PVC pipe)… Typical Maine decor! Don’t worry, the chain has nothing to do with Roosevelt.

32. JohnnyJohnny says:

brilliant!

33. awwww….*sniff…honk*…too sweet.

34. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

Since this is Maine, I wonder if Roosevelt also has a snowmobile attachment for winter. ;)

35. I just wanted to pipe up and say how incredible this is. TOO many times a furry who becomes sick or injured and loses the use of a limb or two is put down without checking into alternatives. YAY for this free wheeling canine’s mommy and daddy. If this picture inspires even one puppy parent to look into wheels for their sick/injured pooch then it has brightened the entire world!

36. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

This reminds me of Willow, a gorgeous peach kitteh from Michigan who was born with deformed back legs. She also has a little wheelie contraption. I’ve told Willow’s mom that she needs to submit pictures to CO!

37. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Look at that tail in the air! Happy doggie!

38. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this.

39. mindadale says:

Quote from caption of one of the other photos made me very happy: “…allowing him to hop and balance much like a kangaroo.”

I want a kangaroo puppeh!

40. Picturing it……

41. “He often accompanies a group of mountain bikers on trips through the woods”
    Wow.

42. Alice Shortcake says:

Two wheels on my collie
    And he’s still rollin’ along

43. Mary (the first) says:

Wonderful! Hugs to Roosevelt and his owners.

44. would he need it? with no front legs to get in the way, he’s self-sledding.

reminding us that not all differences are disabilities.

45. i’m sure the sheep boffins are in their labs working feverishly to counter the technological advantage the border collies have developed.

46. Such a determined look in his eyes.

47. YAY!! Eddie’s Wheels for Pets to the rescue again! These guys are straight up amazing. They also have a fund that you can donate to which allows them to provide new and refurbished carts to shelter animals and low-income families all over the world. *Such* an amazing company!

48. Go, dog, go!

49. MUST SEE kitten size contraption!!

50. We could learn a lot from animals about that.
    I’m following the story of a rescued rabbit who had an untreated broken leg that had healed badly. They planned corrective surgery, but eventually decided that amputation was really the best option. 3 days after surgery, the bunny got over the (admittedly low) railing of her pen and was happily exploring down the hallway. All she knows is that the hurty part is gone, and there’s no stopping her now!

51. My favorite quote was from the little boy who thought he came from the Island of Misfit Toys!

52. Roosevelt is going to qualify for Indy 500!

53. victoreia says:

*hands Fird a large box of triple-ply tissues*

54. pinkmariposa says:

he’s got wheels and knows how to use em’….cool…so happy for him!

55. emmelemm says:

Hey, I don’t see a place on their website where you can donate. I would certainly donate to such a fund.

56. That was the first thing I noticed! He’s got the Border Collie focus down pat!

57. Thank you Roosevelt’s humans. You have given me hope for humanity. I needed that.

58. boomchuckpixyniki says:

Exactly. Animals live in the now, and that’s awesome.

59. You see me rollin up Pops you step aside.

One of my favorite Kate Beaton sketches.

60. victoreia says:

Seconded!!

61. A total warm fuzzy. FDR rocks. As do his lucky parents.

62. I was actually thinking Teddy Roosevelt, Rough Rider, taking on the hills!

63. such a happy story. mr. roosevelt has overcome a lot of obstacles (pun intended). Bless his forever family for their inspiration, and inspirational friend!

64. i would just like to take this moment to announce that Noellesbootcutkittenpants WINS best username on the internet.

65. “A little kid thought he came from the Land of Misfit Toys, the fictional place in the story of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”. Love it!

66. Fird Birfle says:

*giggles*

67. mindadale says:

Yes, that was wonderful, too!

68. mindadale says:

Plus he looks cuddly like Teddy’s other namesake, teddy bears! :)

69. Kariann65 says:

I am overjoyed!! That you have given this precious dog wheels in place of his deformed legs. I’m sure he is very glad to be running around as he wishes. Kudos to you for your care of Roosevelt!

70. that woman is my HERO! so is the pup! :D

71. Nine hundred dollars well spent, my friend. Yup. <3 <3

72. Stephanie Fox says:

Roosie likes “off roading”. This trail is maintained by a local outdoor club and has the chain covered with PVC pipe so autos don’t enter the access road to the miles of trails. He can roll around it – but he enjoys taking jumps – so he “pops it”. He does have off road tires for the dirt trails so he’s got great traction & he’s been doing this for 2 of his 3 years of life so he’s QUITE good at it. Not to worry – Roosie never does anything he doesn’t want to try (or that I don’t feel is safe for him to try), and he’s not chained, tied, or anything. This weekend he’s going to try scootering & sheep herding. So he’s a boy that always rollin’

73. Stephanie Fox says:

We are working on ski attachments for winter use as well as a flotation attachment for summer “float rolling”. He LOVES being outside and trying new things. He just turned 3 last month – so my biggest issue with him is trying to get him to move slowly. He likes speed.

74. Stephanie Fox says:

It didn’t sound quite right in the article – the boy is a neighborhood child that LOVES Roosie. They met just after he & his father watched the show. He was told by dad that “only the very best special toys come from the island”. So when he met Roosie on our walk a few night later he thought Roosevelt was given to me from Santa and “I” was really lucky to get a “special gift from the island”. I didn’t catch on until we got home…then I was overwhelmed. He is just an amazing 3 year old I think.

75. Stephanie Fox says:

well – that $$ was for 2 carts. Roosie was a little wild on the first one – so we had to have a heavy duty one made to keep up with his activity level. Eddie’s Wheels made it just for him. They’ve been amazing and I don’t know what we would have done without their work! Eddie’s Wheels makes front wheel drive (like Roosie’s), rear wheel drive & quad wheel – for every pet from kitty up to horse. Anyone with a pet with a birth issue, or injury or spinal degeneration – I HIGHLY recommend Eddie’s Wheels in Western Mass. You’ll be really glad you did!

76. The way he’s mid-air totally reminds me of a scene from a Calvin & Hobbes comic strip.

77. I soooooo…. needed to see this today, since I found out I am being laid off by the end of the week. : (

78. oh, that sucks!

79. I took it in a good way – the animals on the island just want to be loved by a little boy or girl who doesn’t care what they look like. Just like Roosie!

80. Here is a videoof Roosevelt using his cart after he had had it for just two months. He and his mommy and another dog are playing catch with a ball: