THIS JUST IN: Grazin’ Gallopin’ Giraffe

The new baringo giraffe calf at the Bronx Zoo just took her first steps out with mom, and she’s already getting busy — grazin’ in the grass, practicing with her new tongue, and galloping off on an impromptu butterfly hunt.

FaveFrame™!

Comments

1. i love the expresssion at 0:33 – what a cutie!

2. So much to explore! Beautiful.

3. Marjorie Morales says:

Looks like someone is digging for gold in 0:19

4. Kids and boogers, it’s universal!

5. How I envy that baby giraffe, everything is new and exiting to her and every day is a new adventure.
    Signed: feeling old and burned-out today.

6. Just think what you’d see if kids had giraffe-sized tongues *shudder*

7. skippymom says:

As has been noted here before, giraffes have that thing going on where their chests look like ‘tocks. At one point during this movie I was thinking the baby’s neck was attached to the wrong end.
    Or am I just tired?

8. She’s all “mmm, the world is so delicious!” [bounces off]

9. How beautiful *sigh* The Bronx, you say? *gets right on subway*

10. 260Oakley says:

Sounds like you need to follow the bebeh giraffe’s example and stick your neck out once in a while.
    Or you could just have a drink. That’s what I’m doing. ;)

11. SlaveToCat says:

Ohhhh how I wish I looked that graceful and elegant when I got out for a run.

12. skippymom says:

I’m doing Pajama Story Time in fifteen minutes, if you’d like to attend. Might make you feel better.

13. Wish I could, I love being read to.

14. Who am I to argue with the great Oakley? A drink it is!

15. skippymom says:

Know what would be REALLY great? Pajama Story Time with cocktails!

16. skippymom says:

I’m in the Lounge. What have we for coc*tails (which I think is what got me sent here)?

17. I love that, the “Mom, people are watching!”

18. I know, right? She’s a very good galloper.

19. Fird Birfle says:

I”M SO GLAD that CO provided us with accurate descriptions to be able to locate the giraffe in the photo :)

20. Fird Birfle says:

Bonus Music Reference:

a rhinestoned mouse computer-y (photo) to him/ her who identifies the earliest American pop – ularity of the phrase “Grazin’ in the Grass” …..

HINT: IT PREDATED THE innernets (at least predated peeps havin’ the innernets on HOME computers….)

21. I was at the Bronx Zoo with my son this weekend and did not see this little dewd. Looks like we’re headed back, good thing I got a membership!

22. YES!!!

23. Aww, lookit ‘im run! And also: a cute animal video in which the filmers didn’t feel the need to ruin it with needless background music? AWESOME.

24. skippymom says:

*handing Gigi a drink, opening Goodnight Moon, clearing throat*

25. loribelle says:

I can digdigdigdig it, they can digdigdigdig it, can you dig it, baby? FIfth Dimension?

26. “Grazin’ in the Grass”? It’s a gas. I can dig it.

27. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:
  28. Fird Birfle says:

eine excellente guesse, in SEVERAL ways
    (which I can’t give away presently b/c it would lead peeps to the artist of whom my quershtyun is intending…)
    but no ma’am :)

The lyrics quotations however are precisely on point!!!!

29. jelmore49 says:

The thing that I love about watching giraffes, especially baby giraffes, is that they look so unreal. They remind me of these things from The Dark Crystal:

(And yes, I’m sure that the Henson Company used giraffes as an inspiration for the landstriders. WHICH TOTALLY PROVES MY POINT!)

30. Fird Birfle says:

Theresa will LOVE this link. It will simplify her To-Do List … :)

31. Janeyferr says:

I had previously wanted to go to New York mainly for shoes, arts and to laugh at what Irish pubs serve when you order a shepherd’s pie, but this is yet another great reason

32. Watching the sweet li’l giraffelette gallop and bob and chase and all just makes me smile.

33. Fird Birfle says:

I am particularly enjoying the term “giraffelette”.
    It goes with her female girly elegance, Shari :)

34. The song was already an international hit before 5D added lyrics to it. Hugh Masakela. Here’s the original, which would make the perfect soundtrack to the video above:

35. This worked out really well.

New giraffe, grazin’ in the grass.

36. Fird: Are you perhaps looking for “Friends of Distinction”?

I still have to give props to Hugh Masekela.

37. baringo? Is that one of them there New York coffee house fellers what makes fancy-pants decorations in the foam of your eight-dollar light-dark-half-fat-skim-soy frap mocha?
    Or is that how you pronounce ‘beringed’ in New Yorkese [where I was told my proudly Canadian accent is 'prissy'!]?

38. earlybird1 says:

Sigh. One of the most graceful things I shall ever see is a giraffe running. Seriously graceful. Except the part where she sticks her tongue up her own nostril, of course. :D

39. The first thing I thought of HP !

40. I’ll hav a mojito with my story time, please!

41. baaahhh hhahahaah I saw that too – wondered whether I was the only one to find that abso-friggin-lutely hilarious :D (apparently I’m not!)

42. weeee! sage advice from the Oak!
    *hic*

43. Fird Birfle says:

According to the links I found,

It seems the name of the song’s author/ composer is listed as Philemon Hou.
    (However, see the ***’d line below)
    Hugh Masekela recorded an album in March 1968. The album was called The Promise of a Future.
    According to this link, Gr/ Gr is somewhat based on an earlier HM tune called
    (I copied this phrase VERBATIM from an article in a webpage
    about the song as a whole title) “Mr. Bull # 5″.

The earliest American single was indeed the magnificent Hugh Masekela,
    released in May of 1968 and it did hit # 1 on Billboard.
    BONUS: COWBELLS!!!!

THEN a different group, called ” The Friends of Distinction”
    recorded a vocal cover version of the tune in 1969 which was also a “Top Ten” pop and R&B hit, reaching #3 on the former and #5 on the latter.
    ***The group’s Harry Elston penned lyrics for the song and sang lead on it. ***

F.O.D. members: “. Founded by Harry Elston and Floyd Butler, The Friends of Distinction also included Jessica Cleaves and Barbara Jean Love (plus Charlene Gibson, who replaced B.J. L. during her pregnancy)
    per

“Grazing in the Grass” has been recorded by many other musicians, including Stevie Wonder, Chet Atkins

44. Fird Birfle says:

Or do you want “barista”???

Don’t mind them thar New Yarkers. They be jist a mite focussed on gettin’ “r dun’ ….
    I am sure your Canadian acksent is loverly!

45. Fird Birfle says:

very well stated, earlybird1

46. Fird Birfle says:

and here’s HP’s blinged-out mouse
    (and I think HP is a male of the hominid species, so I went all “guy” on the bling)

47. 6rabbits says:

*giggling intermittently*

48. 6rabbits says:

(This makes sense if you realize it was supposed to be below FB’s “accurate descriptions” comment 17 miles above.)

49. Thanks, Fird. I am indeed XY-chromosomed (but I try not to make a “big thing” of it), so I appreciate the understated elegance of the blinged-out mouse. It reminds me a bit of a Damien Hirst mouse, except with a computer mouse.

It’s by purest coincidence that about a year ago I was wondering, “Hey, what was that one tune by that one guy?,” which led me on a all-nite, google-fueled search for information on Masekela and Grazin’. So I had the information to hand.

50. Ooh Firdie beat me to the Friends of Distinction “Grazin’ in the Grass” ref. one of my all time favorite songs. It’s part of my face playlist.

51. Fave playlist. FAVE.

52. ;-) yes, I make ze leetle joke, I’d just never seen the word ‘Baringo’ before; turns out it’s a region of Kenya.

53. How can it be, no one commented on the knobblyness of those knees?!? Knobbly knees to th nth degree!

54. Ali-Baba says:

Well, ya know, it’s kinda hard to carry tissues when you don’t have pockets! ;-)

55. ALWAYS cracks me up when they lick their noses. It’s like they’re showin’ off!

56. Fird Birfle says:

*giggles in sympathy/ empathy*

57. Mary (the first) says:

Yes! “MOooOOM!”

58. Mary (the first) says:

Thank you! Just what I needed!!

59. victoreia says:

8-O

60. So… when she started to run… was anyone else reminded of the Landstriders from The Dark Crystal?

61. …Apparently I wasn’t the only one!

62. I thought Baringo was what that Sheldon feller says. :P

63. Love the mining for gold at :19 and the mommy kiss at :33 but yes, the knobbularity of the knees must not be overlooked!

64. It looks like something out of the CO glossary, right before “baroo.”

65. januaryfarmer says:

Just beautiful. Is there anything else to say?

66. jelmore49 says:

It’s one of the exact reasons I love watching giraffes run. :)

67. weasel wardancer says:

I was worried the beebee would have to learn about the electric fence the hard way, but Mama moved right in to explain and nudge beebee away.

68. extraordinary neckage . . . . and antennae x2.

69. Fird Birfle says:

*insert sarcastic eyeroll*

70. monkeylover says:

WOAH it picked its nose with its tunge like five times!!!!!!!!! xD