Oh, the (Tree-)Hugged Manatee!

Via Treehugger.com (spotted by friend of the site Marilyn T.) comes the blorptastic story of an adorable baby manatee orphaned in the Amazon river, rescued by conservationists and nursed back to health. Sadly, orphan manatees are very common, but so long as they have our helping hands, they’ll have hope.

Comments

1. Is that his blorpular leetle tongue sticking out? DYINK!!

2. Poor wee one! Considering how big manatees get, that must be a really young ‘un.

3. Mary (the first) says:

His little tongue hanging out! Swwweeeettt!!

4. Aaah! I am a big fan of manatees and I’ve never seen one this small. I’m guessing a lot of people here are fans of http://calmingmanatee.com

5. Oh Lordy…I’ve never seen such a baby. That little one doesn’t even look real. I would like to be the one holding that sweet babe.

6. I love those gentle giants, they seem so relaxed all the time, they remind me of sloths in that way.

7. Jimbeaux says:

I have a plush manatee that sits atop one of my computer speakers. His name is Hugh (Hugh the manatee). He was very happy to see another manatee here today, and wishes the behbeh very good luck!

8. Baby manatees and mini hippos are the cutest babies!

9. Oh the poor little blorpular thing! He’s so tiny for a baby manatee he musta been borned very soonly ago. I hope they give him lots of melks and huggles :)

10. AND he’s giving a teeny raspberry to everyones awwwwwwwww

11. What a wee baby!! She’d better get busy growin’! She has a long way to go!! (On a side note, doesn’t Mr. Hands look like he is going to make wee Manatee wave a flipper at the camera or do a little Esther Williams swim show?)

12. Maybe this is not an orphan baby, but a “travel sized” or “fun sized” Manatee! All the fun of a regular sized Manatee but sized to go with ya!

13. Aww. I love manatees. And as babies they are even mora adorable. Sooo cute!

14. sunnylessmum says:

Awwwww, he’s the perfect little poster manatee! So tiny and cute! And there is a pic of him, or maybe a diff orphan, getting meelks from a bottle! http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/orphaned-baby-manatee-rescued-amazon.html

15. Aiiiyyyeeee!

16. januaryfarmer says:

Totally with you on “fun” and “travel” sized. What a wonderful creature.

17. CathyDee says:

Hoping this embed works . . .

18. CathyDee says:

19. CathyDee says:

Third time the charm?

20. Whoa! I need one to go with the Petite Lap Giraffe and Pygmy Hippopotamus!

21. 6rabbits says:

Ack! You beat me to it! As soon as I saw “manatee” in the title I had Larry’s song in my head. I love Veggie Tales! :-)

22. For those of you who are wondering why there are so many orphans, check out this livescience article

23. Of all the animals in the world, I love manatees the best. the best job in the world would be to work with manatees, especially hand-feeding little bebeh orphans… he is so adorabuhls..

24. Oh geez, can’t believe it took me this long to get the reference in the heading. Mike, you’re way ahead of me, as usual.

25. Oh, poor wittle blorpybaby! He lost his mamma! He needs milkz and cuddles right away!

26. Mamabear says:

Think I’m gonna pass on the link. I am scared of what I will see.

27. widdle gwey tongue!

28. I am a fun-sized manatee
    A sailor’s siren of the sea.
    Named in Greek for my wheeskairs
    As Trichechus: ‘I have hairs!’

Sadly orphaned, still alive
    With other-momma-mammals, I thrive
    Blorptastic on deelishus meelks
    Soon to nom on mangrove silks

So listen here and listen now,
    As Bart sez, ‘Don’t have a sea-cow!’
    And don’t perturb, harass, or wrong
    Us, or our buds, the Oz dugong.
    So when at sea, please save our *sses
    Munching calmly on seagrasses,
    And when you motorboat, we plead
    You raise your blades and reduce speed.

Ghostly grey, we’re hard to see
    So think: oh, the hue-manatee!

29. * golf clap *

30. *applause*

31. Ditto. I’m a total coward-depressant when it comes to knowing about man’s annihilation of species. And a rager. I simmer and rage too.

32. WILD applause *frantic pom-pom waving*

33. Bravo!!

34. Of all the blorpitudes in all the world, the bebbeh manatee’s blorpitude is the most adorabuhls. Give him lots of meelks and lubbins!

35. I looked in my bathtub and there is no mini-blorpular manatee in it.
    Now I am sad.

Props for the Oh the Huge Manatee reference! Swordfisherated!!

36. 260Oakley says:

It’s a Manateeny. Not to be confused with a Martini, which is a small space alien.

37. Blue Footed Booby says:

sack of concrete with a face

38. CathyDee says:

Thanks for bearing with all the silly embedding misfires! I hope they named the blorpy baby Barbara! Or, you know, Bill.

39. garsh, toe scuff. Thanks! Love your avatar :-)

40. Fird Birfle says:

no, no, NO, Mary, it’s “sCHWeeeeeeetttttttt!!!!!”

41. Fird Birfle says:

(heresy coming in my comment)

*whispers*
    (i like manateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees moisch more than i like sloth-y-poos …..)

42. Fird Birfle says:

*YAY Hugh*
    *YAY Jimbeaux*

*shakes pompoms for them both*

43. Fird Birfle says:

melikes “borned very soonly ago”, Tamara!!

44. Fird Birfle says:

Ditto pour moi

45. Fird Birfle says:

I am presently composing a potential Law for Florida to Abolish all Boats with Motors with sharp blades on them, to protect the manatees in the Future.

Wish Me Luck.

Leslie who lives in Fla.
    and isn’t too optimistic for this project ….

46. He is absolutely precious! Thanks to your organization for caring for these orphans.

47. WOW! Thanks. “I’ll go get the wine” and “you are smart and pretty” are my favourites; best face and caption pairing.

48. Hahahahah

49. Chris B. says:

We need a closeup of the tongue….

50. Barbara Manatee, Manatee, Manatee….You are the one for me, one for me, one for me….sent from up-above…you are the one I love!!!! :lol:

51. …Aaaand Oakley putts another hole in one.

52. I live on the West Coast of Canada and I would be happy to sign your petition, Fird Bifle :D

53. I live in Poland, no lovely manatees here, but you get all my support :)

54. I live in Poland, no lovely manatees here, but you get all my support :)

55. sorry for double comment, but if I only could double my total support, I would!

56. don’t forget House Hippo

57. aka “tongue-hance”

58. Mrs Psmith says:

Douglas Adams described Manatees as ‘not so much like a seal as like a travelling case for carrying a seal in’.
    Both Last Chance to see/ Another chance to see series are worth a look, read,listen

59. Fird Birfle says:

Maybe he’s actually a Sharpei puppeh??

60. Fird Birfle says:

Well, golly- gawrsh, I’m feeling a mite, more optimistic, now.

If it won’t cause any badness to/ for Meg, I’ll at least put in a couple of possible (mostly Fla?) webpage(s) which might like to hear from the above CO-ers?
    I haven’t gone through them to see whether they ask you to send them your email link to subscribe to their news headlines …but some places do that…

I mean no disrespect to anybody or anything (except perhaps toward motor boat engine blades headed toward the flesh of a manatee?)….only meant fur guut.
    I apologize if this is ragingly incorrect; but I think the peeps/ CO are familiar with my intent. These are three different webpages. I have reasonable hopes that they are the legitimate good guys N gals.

Peace and manatees to all who lurve them.

61. JenDeyan says:

Glad I’m not the only one that didn’t get it right off.

And that little guy is the epitome of ‘blorptastic’!

62. Fird Birfle says:

To those who answered me, above….I have placed a comment which lists a couple of manatee-rehab benefitting linki-poos however they are presently under Moderayshuns….so check back in, in a day or two and if we’re lucky Meg & Co won’t think that my intentions or my links are Bad Things and they will show up here.

Thanks for loving manatees!!!
    L. Thomas
    Jax, Fla

63. John Lithgow would utterly agree with the manatee love too. Here’s him singing ‘I’m a Manatee’!

64. Gorgeous bundle of blubber. I didn’t click the link which explains what’s killing the mama mantees either – I suffer from tearduct pressure overload syndrome. I suspect the manatees’ problem is related to what drives mother seals to abandon their pups – “pleasure craft”. Everyone, PLEASE have fun on the water without killing/terrifying wildlife and spread the message that jet skis and high powered watercraft are NOT cool. If people want sickening speed, and kick up spray – let them go to a theme park. (steps down from soapbox)