Hounded by Regret

I miss Randy. Kind of friend you only get once in a lifetime. You could talk to him, or not talk. Either way, he was totally there with you. He had that thereness, man.

Randy loved this kind of music. Lilting horn solo, aching with soul. Almost kills me to listen to it now, but I still do. I do it for him. To remember. To feel whole again.

And it’s times like these I wish I’d never chewed all his stuffing out.

Comments

1. kallisto73 says:

Classic NOMTOM.
    Thanks for another great post.
    When are we getting the coffee table book we ordered last year?

2. kibblenibble says:

Chewed his stuffing out!!! :lol:

3. kibblenibble says:

Chewed his stuffing out!!! :lol:

4. That pup’s got the blue-oooh-oooooohs!

5. Is there anything cuter than a grown dog still carrying around his stuffed toys. It still shows they’re just big puppies at heart.

6. That dog knows how to sing the blues, just call him Jelly Roll-over Morton.

7. Great way to start a Monday. I second the question about where’s the coffee table book?!

8. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

I just nailed some legs to it and I’m using it as a coffee table. ;)

9. Any all-knowing CO’er know the music/musician? Is it George S. Clinton?

10. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

“Why do you laugh at me when I sing? Stop laughing at me!”

11. My response to doggeh is to quote Jack Donaghy:
    “There’s no need for us to start jabbering about our feelings and sobbing like Bill Belichick listening to Adele.”

12. FTW!

13. Meriweather says:

Youtube info says it’s ‘Gabriel’s Oboe’ by Chris Botti.

14. Wow, thanks, Meriweather! Please add the initials AKCO to your list of degrees.

15. doomchild says:

00:06 – that was totally a “meow!”

16. doomchild says:

00:46, sorry.

17. boomchuckpixyniki says:

My pup does the same thing, when (and only when) the Batman theme song comes on:

Hrm… actually, come to think of it, she also does it when I’m home and decide not to answer the phone (unknown number, or one I recognize as telemarketing) when the answering machine comes on: “Mom?! How can you be here, not talking, and in there, only talking?! What the heck?!”

18. boomchuckpixyniki says:

Argh… Linkage: http://youtu.be/YUfLty-ZdmQ

19. “Jelly Roll-over Morton”. :) For the win!

20. What a soooooo-owllllllll -ful puppeh !

21. I love how animals react to music. My husband and I are both DJs at a college radio station (I do a world music show, he does jazz). So we listen to a lot of music. Our cat has very definite tastes. She’ll leave the room if I’m playing Indian classical music or traditional Japanese music. And she doesn’t like free jazz much either. Assorted sordid sounds seem to annoy her.

22. What a sweet faced puppy and he howls in tune!

23. Drat.. Caught in Moderations.

24. I once had a cat who goes to sleep on the speaker ONLY when there was Deep Purple songs. The rest of the times, she grumpilly went to sleep somewhere else.

25. victoreia says:

You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

(ducking & running) :P

26. Very cute, but also a bit sad! Don’t dogs howl to call a lost pack? Or because they are feeling anxiety? He (or she) seems to be experiencing a very strong emotion and I felt bad laughing at the video. I wouldn’t laugh at a human having a strong response to a song. Fine, I would, but I wouldn’t feel good about myself then, either. Be well, cute dog!

27. Copperbat says:

I adore that look the dog gave to the giggling woman. Dog clearly has a better idea how to appreciate the music.

28. victoreia says:

*taps foot in exasperation*

29. My mother’s cat loved to be held and danced with while listening to country music. Especially Hank Williams Jr.

Otherwise, she had impeccable taste.

30. victoreia says:

We’ve learned the hard way that Kyuri does NOT like certain pitches and tones.

By “hard way”, I mean we have scars. Any sound he doesn’t like, he lets us know by attacking whatever portion of human anatomy is nearest. (The bruises on my arm are s l o w l y f a d i n g .)

31. How could anything fall asleep to Deep Purple? That’s a band you play in the morning when you need to get your butt out of bed.

32. YES!

33. I’m 99% sure the music is by Ennio Morricone, but good catch on finding the piece.

34. redvelvetrose says:

My cat runs away from Sarah McLachlan music. However, I suspect that has more to do with my insisting on hugging her whenever that incredibly pathetic ASPCA commercial comes on than with Ms. McLachlan’s talent. :)

35. Artist Botti, composer Morricone:

36. don’t forget Willy Nelson, “Maybe I didn’t Love you” and half the shows on Animal Planet.

37. birds9y9 says:

He feels the blues. So bad. Uh huh. ♬

38. northerntigress says:

I’m guessing that he thinks that the horn is another dog howling.

39. Thank you. Nice to wake up to.

40. My late hedgepig, Yona Pog, was obsessed by Bing Crosby’s version of ‘Ghost Riders in the Sky’. She’d stop her scooting around and listen intently, swaying her head a little.

41. Love the *meow* at 0:44. I mean, I have heard a cat say “wooff” before, but never a dog say “meow”. ;)

42. What a sweetheart. How lucky you were to have had him in your life. <3

43. Fird Birfle says:

*giggles about Kar’s opinion of H. W., Jr.*

Is this an appropriate venue in which to specify that while he DEEPLY admired Johnny Cash, me da’ invariably referred to him as Johnny “Trash”???

(and if I do so, I suppose I risk finding out that many gazillions of other
    peeps also use that term — endearingly intended, mind you….)

44. Fird Birfle says:

*giggles sympathetically*
    (but around a corner, where victoreia won’t catch me …)

45. victoreia says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ezri started hiding when those commercials come on. I always have to hug whichever furball I can find right after that. Luckily, the t.v. isn’t in the room they usually hang out in.

46. Nah, just personal preference. Sr was an icon and the original bad boy capable of emo heart breaking.

III is pure punk/rock energy in a country package. Just not a fan of that middle generation.

47. loved the vidio. We have a dashound and she likes to talk. We haven’t been able to understand any of the words, yet, but the meanings are clear. She loves to be in the same room, when my son-in-law playes his gitaur. She doesn’t sing but seems to find the music soothing.