The Unified Theory of Everything

Sitting here like this, just watching the day go by, I’m always humbled by the scope and complexity of the world. Think of it: on this random rock in space, plants grew from the dirt, creatures crawled from the mud, and somehow the creatures and the plants and the rock combined to form ice cream and skyscrapers and forests and bicycles… everything in the world. And you look at it, and it’s tangled and orderly and rigid and flowing and squalid and majestic — all at the same time.

And it just makes you feel lucky to be alive. You know what I mean? Guys?

You know, these philosophical discussions would be so much more enriching if you clowns could hold up your end of the conversation just for once.

“XX from Berlin,” says Alysa E.

1. A post of absolute beauty–the text and the photos. What a pretty kitty!

2. NTMTOM, I love the narrative — it matches the first photo so well. What a gorgeous post.

3. This cat’s name should be Sheldon.

4. Fird Birfle says:

5. Bazeenga.

6. He’s zazzy.

7. bob drummond says:

I prefer SNOWBALL, !!!!

8. Fird Birfle says:

Especially loves Kar’s quote from Sheldon :)

9. Sheldon is a purrrfect name!

10. Robin Kiesel says:

11. And it all started with a big bang.

12. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Even though I know better, whenever I hear that song, I think “…the artichokes began to drool.”

13. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

14. hmstracylee says:

I love NOMTOM’s philosophical posts!

“is… is that all there is?” will continue to be one of my favorites Of.All.Time.

15. Hate to stereotype, but I thought we’d get a variation of the String Theory.

16. Nice reminder about the froggie post there too. :)

17. Fird Birfle says:

I wondered, whether anyone would get that sub-text :)

18. O ye of little faith, Firdie! As if every single one of us is not hanging on every scrap of text on this site? :)

19. Fird Birfle says:

Well, after all, my last name *is * Thomas, and we are practicing Catholics!!
    Our family jokes with each other about “Doubting Thomas” ALL THA TIME.

20. victoreia says:

I’m worried that kitteh will fall backwards, as his (her?) pot tips over the ledge……

21. Ditto! My heart was torn between the cuteness and the impending danger!

22. emmelemm says:

Deep thoughts… with Cat Handey.

23. Great post, as usual NOMTOM. And what a beautiful kitteh. He also looks like he’s floating there in the flower pot. Cosmic, man!

24. I ♥ this. :D

25. Fird Birfle says:

The Blueness. The Eyes.

26. 260Oakley says:

Kitteh is thinking: “Sheesh, what a bunch of dim bulbs.”

27. victoreia says:

*wild applause*

28. *with Victoreia on the wild applause*

29. :mrgreen:

We NEED our like buttons back!

30. *polite gof clapping*

31. Once again, it’s 260 Oakley for the win!

32. What a well mannered baby !!! My demon spawn would chew through that netting in no time flat !

33. victoreia says:

My demon would eat the leaves on the bulbs! (And then, possibly, the bulbs….) 8-O

34. redvelvetrose says:

Urgh, which would be swiftly followed by an ER trip to the vet! Aren’t most all bulbs poisonous to kittehs?

Reason #912 why I only have silk flowers in my apartment. Eowyn thinks all flowers and plants are actually exotic salads. Even if they aren’t poisonous, I don’t usually want them so she can eat them. :)

35. victoreia says:

Yup, that’s why I don’t have fresh flowers, either. Any time we forget, and leave fresh flowers out, suddenly there are teeth marks in the arrangement, and bits of green trailed (sometimes wetly) all through the house…..

36. Eowyn learned the hard way to leave roses alone. I think I’m the only person who tells the florist to leave the thorns on.

37. Fird Birfle says:

*worries about mudbug who refers to The Resident Kittaye as “demon spawn”*

38. You mean the answer to the ultimate question?

Life, the universe and everything?

The answer is 42

39. Mary (the first) says:

I thought it was 37 !?? Have I been wrong all these years? That explains a LOT!

40. wuyizidi says:

One of my favorite passages of that book:

41. victoreia says:

Just remember: we don’t actually know what question the answer actually answers…..

Hitchhiker without a towel

42. Don’t panic.

43. Perfect! beautiful cat!

44. He/she looks just like my sweet Spot once he grew into his ears. Gone now, but never forgotten.

45. SlaveToCat says:

My own personal litter box, with organic air freshener growing next to it….How thoughtful of those humons.

46. rbcoover says:

Somebody is growing kittehs in a little urban garden! So that’s where street cats come from.

47. SlaveToCat says:

Street Cats named Desire.

48. victoreia says:

49. Dear Mike,

Are you real or just a distant memory from my college days?

Wishing on a star,

50. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

Heck, I’m a distant memory from my college days.

51. WINNING!

52. kibblenibble says:

Hey, NOMTOM and everybody. Is anyone else having a problem leaving comments? I am no longer able to leave a stand-alone comment. When I click on the comment box, nothing happens, and the place for my email and username has disappeared. The only way I can speak at all is to “reply” to someone else. I feel sorta locked out! :-( Halp!

53. kibblenibble says:

Oops, now I’m double posting. :roll:

54. bob drummond says:

Hey, kibble, I know I ‘m late but how is george doing ? He had bladderstones !

55. kibblenibble says:

Bob, I hope you look up and see this, since I can’t reply to you directly. He’s great, thanks for asking. He just has to eat a prescription diet, but no more stones! :-)

56. bob drummond says:

Thank U ,kibble , I’m very Happy 2 hear that ! PTL !!!

57. kibblenibble says:

58. wink wink

59. fleurdamour says:

Internet root menu activated

60. *Snapping fingers and banging bongos*

61. *wearing sunglasses and beatnik caps in response to Theresa’s snapping fingers and bongo banging*

62. Ali-Baba says:

*brews espresso & makes sure beret is on straight*

63. Fird Birfle says:

*LOVING the specificity of straightening the (anti-establishment/ “beat”) beret*

64. If cat is Pyewacket, then watch out for clubs where there are bongo players…

65. thank you for posting little cajus – he is just flattered!

66. kibblenibble says:

Oh my gosh, this is the SAME kitty from the Meerkat post? Cajus is gorgeous. :-) Lucky you!

67. warrior rabbit says:

I don’t think so… this one has blue, blue eyes. The other one had dark eyes. Or so I thought? Man. Now I’m confused.

68. According to a post in the other thread, this actually is Cajus. The other cat is Coco. Their mom (Alisa) mixed ’em up. (And who of us hasn’t been called by a sibling’s name at least once?)

69. yeees – I sent pictures of both in one mail and have to admit, it was a toughie to get it right who is who. cajus has blue eyes and coco green ones. she is from an animal shelter in berlin and a bit older, he is from spain. and I am indeed feeling very very lucky! :)

70. schmiegemaue

thats both of them. and even I am not sure who is who in that picture…

71. Well, whichever one is which, they’re both adorable!

72. Anyone else smell Patchouli?

73. And hear sitars?

74. wait wait wait…my sitar is still in its case (no lie, I DO play the sitar)….Theresa, are you listening to my CD again? ;)

75. That is one beautiful potted cat!

76. Like Cajus, I too find that sitting in a flowerpot makes me philosophical…. BTW, I never received that copy of NOMTOM’s coffee-table book that I ordered!

77. Andi from NC says:

Hovertext on pic one – perfect!!!!!

78. As usual, NOMTOM’s prose is unmatched. The kitten is cute, too. Even the bulbs are cute!

79. One of my cats has a favorite contemplation perch too.

He can spend hours just sitting and looking. (I’m sure the heating boards just below him help to keep him rooted to the spot)

80. Oh, I so want to snorgle, Cajus :D

81. I had an amazing cat like this as a child in Okla! White, blue eyed… and NOT deaf! He died defending us (years later a cat and rattle snake skeleton were found behind the shed). Angel, you will forever be in my memory! Thank you, COL!