Who’s a Little Crabby?

You are! Yes, you are! Good morning Little Crabby!

Hey you kids! Get offa my beach before I pinch ya!

Krista C, found the little horseshoe crab on Cedar Key, FL, and she says, “Look at his little Telson!” Krista, what’s a Telson?
Tiny crab by Christian B.

Comments

1. mindadale says:

Aww! Eeensy is always cute (well, almost always!)!

2. So teeny and adorable!

Admittedly though, the first thing I thought was “oooh, soft shell crab amuse bouche.” Then I thought “snack sized.” I really should have eaten breakfast…

3. “I peench.”:

4. The telson is it’s tail! But Telson would make a cute name for a tiny crab.

5. skippymom says:
  6. From the link: “Some authorities, like Karl-Ernst Lauterbach, have urged that the usage of this word in this context be discouraged.”

Krista, I’m very disappointed in you. You know how Karl feels about this.

7. mindadale says:

Ha! Snack sized crab…so wrong. So funny. ;)

8. This was exactly what I needed this morning. I was feeling a little crabby…but now I’m all smiles (well CO plus a latte did the trick).

Thanks skippy for the knowledge this morn!

9. kibblenibble says:

Yes! My thoughts exactly. Love that commercial.

10. It’s a Crab @$$! :D

11. True Story: My Dad (who is practically family to many CO-ers :P ) was walking along the beach early one evening, when he saw horseshoe crabs being washed up on the beach. Being a tender-hearted individual, he thought “Oh noes, the poor things will die!” and started hurling them back out into the water. Fortunately for the poor things, some knowledgeable person came up to him and told him they come up into the surf to mate, and he was just making it harder for them. 8O

12. I know! It’s no bigger than a drop o’ lemon buttah! :-D

13. ROFL Theresa. This coulda been me!

14. Crab blocked.

15. That’s known as “crab TOCKS” in these parts.

16. skippymom says:

Did Dad give each crab a spit-wash before sending it back to sea?

17. So i was looking at the horse shoe crab picture, and thinking “that can not possibly be a crab”.. so of course I googled it, and darned if it isn’t … all his poky pinchy bits are under that shell.
    I have been schooled today! :)

18. Robin Kiesel says:

And one drop is all you need! ( I didn’t have breakfast either)

19. Robin Kiesel says:

I beg to differ: schooling is for fish, this is a crustacean! :)

20. I’m at the age where I can barely spot my black cellphone on a white counter unless my nose is two inches above it. How the heck was someone able to spot Monsieur Petite Crab on a beach???

21. Hah! You beat me to that question! I was wonderin’ the same.

22. For gosh sakes, people, don’t you know breakfast is the most important meal of the day?

23. cellarmouse says:

hah…

24. Of course he did. :P

25. bwahahahaha…ohhh man Theresa :) Thanks for the giggle.

26. skippymom says:

I have a very small (though not as teeny as this one) dried horseshoe crab in a box at home. Also in there is a little dead turtle and a dead praying mantis.

27. Have I lost what passes for my mind or is that little black dot on the front of the horseshoe crab that look like he’s puckering up for a kiss? I know that horseshoe crabs have no mouth on their carapace but that what I’m seeing!!

28. skippymom says:

Oh carp, I forgot to spell “ded” the acceptable way. I’ll have a soft-shell crab sandwich and a Campari and soda while I’m waiting.

29. skippymom says:

Oui, Gigi, leetle crabby wants to kees you! Keesy keesy!

30. The Telson is his tail.

31. hmstracylee says:

baaah hahahah
    I’m gonna ferret that away for future use.

though, I myself am a Telson from time to time ;)

32. hmstracylee says:

doctor’s orders – take to CO posts, wash it down with a latte, and call me in the morning

cures what ails ‘ya!

33. LOL!

34. Of course, there are those of us who honestly do not know one end of a horseshoe crab from the other. 8O

35. tehmanmeat says:

It’s not a crab. It’s a chelicerate, not a crustacean. It’s more closely related to the arachnids (spiders, scorpions etc.). We actually just talked about Paleozoic forms like this in my paleontology class today :)

That being said, taxonomy does not, in any way, diminish cuteness. So, without further geek-out:
    *GaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawLookitTheLittleHorseshoeCrab!*

36. Hahaha! I love your Dad, Theresa! So hilarious.

Your dad was probably just perfecting his blocking moves so he’d be prepared when your hopeful suitors started to come a-callin’…

37. Robin Kiesel says:

38. Robin Kiesel says:

Stop floundering around with the langwhich

39. victoreia says:

Maybe we need a list of passwords to the Mod Lounge….

proper spelling of:
    cuke-c*mber
    ded

Please to add to list, peeps.

40. skippymom says:

What about the other spelling of puppeh? Isn’t that one?

41. I love horseshoecrabs! Growing up in the mid-atlantic region, HSC were the most adorbs things on the beach!

Unfortunately, even climate change is affecting the the little guys – they usually come up on beaches to spawn in May, but this year state biologists are already finding them spawning in March! Not only is this troublesome for the little fossils, but the endangered red knot depends heavily on horseshoe crab eggs for noms to refuel during their migration in May. If horseshoe crab spawning and red knot migration get out of sync, then things could go south (not meant to be punny…) very quickly!!! <3 :(

hang in tharr!!

42. Fun science fact: horseshoe crabs are not crustaceans! They’re actually in the phylum Chelicerata with spiders and scorpions.

43. i’ve never actually heard anyone but a weatherperson say “mid-atlantic region.”

44. “chelicerate”

gesundheit.

45. cool! a little known fact, by and about skippymom!

46. earlybird1 says:

Also, hovertext FTW! I shall file away the first one for my most curmudgeony days. LOL

47. hmstracylee says:

I think the colloquial for flatulence got me in there once,
    as well as the opposite of pretty, as in what precedes and follows “you ain’t got no alibi”

48. Oh, this happened long after that horse had left the barn. :P

49. Fird Birfle says:

“mid-Atlantic region”.

Signed,
    Not a weatherperson.

(Sorry, Sharpy.
    It’s in my contract to do these things.)

50. Fird Birfle says:

victoreia: also, it seems that nearly any term from English which is a synonym for “@ngst”….tr@uma, tr@gic/ tr@gedy; horr!fying…and many terms which are lead-ins to discussion of gene selection or irresponsible animal breed!ng.

The More [We] Know/ NBC

51. Fird Birfle says:

– is very very tempted to assemble some kind of punchline from that particular setup; but decides to “step AWAY from the opportunity”.

Signed,
    Coward.

52. 8O
    Spiders and scorpions! But he’s so much cuter!!!!!

53. Fird, I love you. Don’t ever change.
    *extending Fird Birfle’s contract into the next millenium.

54. As if I didn’t already want to go to the beach bad enough before I saw these pics.

55. We used to love to go to the shore to find itsy bitsy crab-lettes to play with (yes, we were poor and had no toys!). These little guys are adorable!

56. Teenee tinee crabby! :D

57. Yep, “sh@me” got me in there on more than one occassion.

58. victoreia says:

*snicker*

59. Hmmm….I like that….”quit being such a crab @$$!”….. :-D

60. So, horseshoe crabs? :mrgreen:

61. Mamabear says:

Awww, what a sweet guy, your dad! I can just see the whole thing in my mind.

I can also anthropomorphize the event and imagine a giant horseshoe crab frantically scurrying into our bedroom and grabbing the hubby and I in his peechy hands and tossing us out! “Run leetle hoomins!”

Bet them crabs are STILL telling their grandcrabs the story of how they almost were not born.

62. michelle b adams says:

had to get up half an hour before we went to bed WAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    i think some cuteo-r embedded a link once to a skit involving katy perry’s then-hubby and some other gents trying to out grump each other as to how hard their childhoods were. believe the winning comment was “blahblah and then my dad used to come home every day, kill us all, and dance on our graves!” as he was clearly alive, it was quite funny…….

63. Fird Birfle says:

d’awwwww!!!!

*blushes*

64. Shelly Stark says:

lauterbach-smutterbach.

so let’s use it in this context: “he is a pain the the telson!”

p.s., luv me the baby pee-wee crabs, especially those little ones who change their shell wardrobe.

65. Shelly Stark says:

oops – “he is a pain IN the telson!”

66. skippymom says:

It was actually a Monty Python sketch from many years ago.

67. AWW, man, I hope that the horseshoe crabs can be saved :( I remember seeing on TV that the horseshoe crabs are gently harvested for their blood which is able to be used in the “detection of bacterial endotoxins” (Wikipedia) :)

68. it’s okay, i read it with my ears covered.

69. 6rabbits says:

I keep snortlaffing about this days later! :-)