Challenge Accepted!

In an article in Wired, science reporter Brandon Klein explores “self-domestication” in species like the bonobo, but notes that the trend from aggressive to peaceful lifestyles is necessarily limited in scope — or as he puts it, “Not that bonobos will soon be peeking out of cardboard boxes on Cute Overload.”

Ahem. Without further ado, we present a bonobo with a cardboard box.

Bonobo and box, from Flickr user West Chester Dumonts. Hat tip to Sparkster for the link.

1. victoreia says:

Silly reporter! Them’s fightin’ words!

2. Fird Birfle says:

That is an Ex- cardboard box. It’s nailed to the ground.

3. JohnnyJohnny says:

“. . . This cardboard box is no more! It has ceased to be! It’s expired and gone to meet ‘is maker! It’s a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! [If you hadn’t put it in the picture] it’d be pushing up the daisies! . . . It’s kicked the bucket, it’s shuffled off ‘is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin’ choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-CARDBOARD BOX!!”

4. Wake up Polly! Pollleee!!!

5. Fird Birfle says:

THE MOSTEST fun aspect about tha whole bit (in my -h?- O) is how INDIGNANT
    Mr. Cleese is about poor past Polly.

6. Blue Footed Booby says:

Bonobos rule. Where humans and chimps compete and make war, bonobos solve 95% of conflicts with wanton promiscuity. Got in a disagreement with a neighbor? Have sex. Want to make friends? Have sex. Gender doesn’t matter.

~*Love is all you need*~

7. Kinda gives a whole new meaning to “Make love not war” :D

8. Now that’s my type of conflict resolution!

9. Right on man!

10. Every time I go to the zoo I see one of these guys doing something either alone or with one or two other Bonobos. My favorite thing about them is they have a kind of prostitution. A Bonobo will approach another Bonobo with some fruit. The other Bonobo gives him some sweet lovin’. Then the girl Bonobo eats the fruit the other Bonobo brought.

11. 260Oakley says:

“Who you calling chimp-pansy? I can put a hurtin’ on a box like bono-body’s business.”

12. 260O, that is pun perfection.

13. Take THAT science!! :)

14. Fird Birfle says:

reminds me of my guy Craig F.
    He’s ALWAYS shakin’ ‘is fist and sayin’ “Take THAT, such & such”

*romantic sigh of delusion*

15. HA! Great post!

16. JohnnyJohnny says:

I love when the imaginary day-to-day world interacts with the undeniably and profoundly real world of Cute Overload.

17. He’s looking at you so calmly, like “I can be as peaceful as anyone.” If everyone could be a bonobo.

18. CathyDee says:

Baby bonobo has such soulful eyes.

19. they pierce my soul!

20. He has Wolverine sideburns

21. Oh lordy, you had to mention Hugh Jackman. You know he’s part of my Invisible Stable of Interdimensional Husbands (TM), right? Now I won’t be able to concentrate on work….

22. Fird Birfle says:

‘Tis Friday, after all…

23. Actually I didn’t mention Hugh, I mentioned Wolverine. I SHOWED you Hugh…say that 3 times fast :lol:

24. :lol:

25. warrior rabbit says:

To me, that look says:

Duuuuuude. I’m, like… hungry. You got… um… you got any Doritos, man?

26. pinkmariposa says:

well I was gonna say ‘I just wanna rub that boodha belly’ however I do not want to
    stimulate, excite, arouse the bonobo after reading above posts!~snicker~snicker

he does have some soulful eyes!!!!

27. I have no idea why but when I read that I thought that they meant the wild undomesticated “Bonnaroos.”

Who I believe are the descendents of the ancient woodstockeus primates but still have the telltale signs of sandals, sleep in make-shift canvas shelters, pro-pot/anti-war t-shirts and a patchouli scent, especially the females.

Both by the way, could never be contained in so called boxes or cubes because they’re not slaves to ‘the man.’

28. cellarmouse says:

and they do solve a lot of problems by having sex…

29. Bonobobellybutton!

30. Sasha's Mum says:

Wow, shouldn’t that cause some kind of internet wormhole or antimatter or something?

31. I know the belleh is irresistible, but I would love to place my hands under his arms as if to pick him up just to feel that soft warmth of his armpits and little fuzzy chest. Can’t you just feel it?

32. AH! I love bonobos, read bonobo handshake, it will make you fall in love…and also consider the merits of a matriarchal society…