March 14th: Learn About Butterflies Day!

Like airborne jewels flitting about, butterflies are a wonder to behold.

Monarchs travel 2500 to 3000 miles to migrate from Mexico to the Northern United States to Southern Canada – and boy are their…sorry.

Butterflies can also be amazing pollinators. To help out these pretty things, you can plant butterfly loving plants like common milkweed, purple cone flower and marigolds to provide them with food and you with delight.

Thanks a bunch butterfly lover, Lisa S.

Comments

1. HRH QueenCat says:

awww, so delicate, detailed and distinctly different …

I’ve heard butterflies have a very brief life span :(

2. TrixandSam says:

The reason why I grow cone flowers, marigolds, yarrow, verbena, trumpet vines, etc: butterflies and hummingbirds! Nothing like tending the garden and being buzzed by hummers or startled by a butterfly fluttering down right in front on my nose.

btw, it’s supposed to be near 80 degrees today in Chicago. In March. Not even St Patrick’s Day yet. 80.

3. And 70 here in MI. In March. Unheard of and worthy of celebration! So, WOOOHOOO!

4. Currently 52 and heading for 72 degrees here in Minneapolis. Woo Hoo! Yea for flutterbyes.

5. Pat Trenner says:

84 in Washington DC yesterday, on top of a snowless, mild winter.

Oh, we will pay for this.

6. I have a butterfly plant next to purple coneflower. Last summer – very few butterflies. I feel gilted. ;( Whats wrong with my flowers???

7. What I’m afraid of. This is going to be one pest-type-bug summer.

8. Ellen W. says:

Apparently, according to http://www.thebutterflysite.com (which I don’t know how good it is, but it’s fun) they also love oregano! And if you have the space, and live where Monarchs breed please please plant some milkweed for them!

9. Another member of the peanut gallery says:

It’s Pi Day too!
    Let’s combine butterflies and pie….just not in the form of butterfly pie.

10. cellarmouse says:

we seemed to have a lot fewer butterflies on our butterfly bush last year, too (as well as the attendant praying mantises and bees and other things i don’t know the names of)…maybe the weather?…

11. ” . . . and, boy, are their wings tired!”

(Sorry, but someone had to say it.)

12. We had snow in October. I figure there will be snow in April. 8O

13. I love it!!

14. PS, if you can, EVERYPEEPS, at least once, get yourself to a butterfly garden, or a butterfly zoo like this:

It is such a fantashtic experience. So many different kinds of beautiful flutterbyes, and they are so hypnotic and relaxing.

15. 80 in Kansas too. And I too have a butterfly garden in my front yard–come July, it will be filled with monarchs.

My favorite pic here is the larva.

16. skippymom says:

In Boston two days ago it was 71, the previous record high having been 69 in 1902.

17. skippymom says:

I am expecting it. I want to make a snowman.

18. When it comes to attracting Butterflies and other pollinators, native plants are the best way to go. Even a small native plant garden can be a fantastic oasis for many species of butterflies, as well as other native insects and critters. Just be sure that you go chemical-free! Fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and even bug repellant can be detrimental to these animals.

Check out http://www.naba.org/ for more information on helping Butterflies and other native species out in your area.

19. They have a relatively short lifespan, but some can live for several months. Many species of insects, including Butterflies and Moths, spend most of their lives as larva. When they become adults, they become more mobile and more vulnerable to the elements and predators.

Butterflies are a reminder of the richness and fragility of our natural world. Makes us appreciate their presence all the more, and desire to protect them. But don’t forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and even the creatures that don’t tickle your fancy deserve the same care and protection.

20. CEEJOE- Are we neighbors??!! I’m here in MI too!!! loving the fact I have on sandals and a dress :)

21. just as long as you don’t send it to MI skippy….I am supportive of your hopes :)

22. skippymom says:

OK. I was going to make a snowman and send it to ceejoe, but I’ll keep it instead.

23. I heard some entomologists talking about how they expect it will be buggy… blargh. though, they were excited about it…

24. TrixandSam says:

Nothing wrong with your flowers!! It was the weather last year. I had a bummer of a year as well but the year before, bumper crop of all sorts of bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, mantises, etc.

25. TrixandSam says:

Catmint is another herb favorite of bees and other pollinators. That stuff grows like a weed and self-propagates so be careful where you plant it. (I always let it spread since it was such a hit in the bee and butterfly buffet.)

26. Fird Birfle says:

The markings on the larva *are* remarkable, aren’t they??

Signed,
    Nudge, nudge
    Wink, wink!!!

27. Fird Birfle says:

Wot is the Bug Man’s opinion on thees??
    Haven’t noticed a comment from heem, een quite awhile …

28. sunnylessmum says:

The last pic totally cracked me up, so earnest! I noticed how much the butterflies loved the Hollyhock flowers I planted for a few years.

29. My HS chem teacher was also a biology teacher. We chem students had the pleasure of being able to see the Monarch butterflies break out of their cocoons, and then got to release them. Hundreds of Monarchs fluttering up to the sky…wish I’d taken photos :(

30. Mary (the first) says:

Snowed here yesterday a little bit. Now very cold and rainy. Very rainy. :(

31. I was waiting for it . . .

32. Me three! (Or should that be MI 3?) Guess I should have listened to a weather forecast today. I’m wearing a sweater.

33. Firdie…is that you?? :)

34. Here in central Florida we are having a blind mosquito problem (they don’t sting). They are all over the place, attracted to our white buildings and they STINK after they die! There doesn’t seem to be anything to do about them. We can’t put anything in the lakes or other standing water and sprays only last a short time. Besides, the guests would really love being hit with bug spray.

35. LisaLassie says:

1. Welcome to CO, Crazy Pants. Are you new? Or have you been here for years and I’m only just noticing. Sigh. 2. Thank you for the lovely pics and suggestions which spawned (gulp) a lot of other good suggestions. 3. However—-didn’t anybody notice that there was something terribly wrong with that giant caterpillar in the last photo? Wake up, People: it’s a government science experiment gone horribly awry!!!!

36. Crazy Pants says:

Thank you for the welcome, LisaLassie! I’ve been here only about 2 months.
    I think you are right about that caterpillar; looks like genetic engineering to me!

37. No one’s said it yet?

Okay, last picture: Whoooooo are Yoooooou?

38. Perfect! Give that lady a hookah!

39. HRH QueenCat says:

very informative and true, Cassie – thank you;
    here’s an interesting link: http://www.thebutterflysite.com/how-long-butterflies-live.shtml

40. Top to bottom:
    Painted Lady butterfly
    Yellow Swallowtail butterfly
    Monarch butterfly
    Lisa S. butterfly (larval stage)