Aw Shucks

All this attention. For me? Gosh. It’s, well, geez…

Katie M. writes, “A San Diego rescue, The Barking Lot, posted this totally unreasonably adorable picture of one of their “Temporary Barkers” that’s up for adoption.”

Comments

1. This is life-ruiningly cute

2. victoreia says:

Who’s a cute puppers? YOU ARE!!!

*clears throat* *in Obi-Wan Kenobi voice* Move along.

3. Aw, da FLOOFINESS!!!! The muzzlepouch! That is one truly sweet, adorable, puppeh! Just look at those eyes, those paws, that nose, that smile, thaapparir afafua-8fdp8re^&_(&^^+_(#*_(*#u…….

*puddles*

4. Kari Callin says:

“Okay, now cover your right eye and please read the third line from the top.”

” C A T B A L L B O N E”

“Perfect!”

5. skippymom says:

That muzzle is SEVERELY smoochable.

6. Mary (the first) says:

omg Puppeh (arm) Pits! So sweet!!!

7. Dottie S says:

I’m such a sweet snuggle-buggle and I hear no evil and I see no evil!!
    Just prosh puppy speak…..

8. ^ my sentiments, exactly.

no seriously. verbatim.

9. cellarmouse says:

looks like he just woke up…rubs eye…straightens out bed ear…now he’s going to yawn…

10. Oh, STINKIIN’ cute!!!

11. skippymom says:

Thaapparir afafua! I think I’ll say that to my cats tonight.

12. metsakins says:

I just petted him and skritched him with my mouse pointer. Surprisingly satisfying.

13. gwennaelle says:

omg I need to bury my nose in his/her chest. Beh beh.

14. I don’t see her on the site, so she musta been ‘dopted! Yaayyy for somebody! Yaaaayyyy for floofy puppers!

15. I was thinking the same thing about the hear no evil and see no evil! Great minds and all that…

It shouldn’t be legal to be this cute. I hope this little one finds a forever home very soon.

16. Fird Birfle says:

TODAY IS NATIONAL (butterscotch?) FLOOFINESS DAY ON CO.

This floofy guy/ gal matches the Cat in Sink Floofy Cat (below) :)

17. I looked, too, but I’m glad to have you confirm that this little cutie is no longer listed. Yay all around!

By the way, for you peeps who haven’t yet checked out the site, it is chock full of unreasonably cute photos of temporary barkers. Take a look at Spike and Sawyer in particular. I’d love to take them all home!

18. should get those bed pits next… those are a riot

19. WANT PUPPEH!

20. They do have cute photos.

I clicked one to read the description of the dog, and it said that she was surrendered to a shelter “for no other reason than” the owner couldn’t care for her anymore.

That judgmental tone rubbed me the wrong way a little bit. If an owner can’t take care of a dog, don’t you think it’s better that they turn the dog over so that an owner who CAN care for it can be found?

That’s one of the things about animal advocacy that I find troubling — how much time and energy is spent on disapproval and condemnation. Think how many pets could be saved if all that effort was directed toward actually doing something constructive. Especially when, a majority of the time, the ill-will is based on assumptions rather than actual, factual knowledge of the situation anyway.

(Let’s see if this gets caught in the Mod Machine. I’ve had enough coffee today, but maybe there are a few hors d’oeuvres left on the buffet…)

21. No? Well, okay. (But maybe I’ll check out the buffet anyway.)

22. Funny how the same written words can be interpreted different ways… I whole-heartedly agree w/the sentiment of your post, but in this particular case I would think it was written to clarify that the dog wasn’t surrendered to a shelter because it has some proclivity (biting, aggression, lack of housetraining, etc.) that might be a deterrent to potential adopters.

But back to the adorable sweetie above…. love him! Glad he has been adopted already.

23. That looks EXACTLY like my lion-monkey-bear-dog, Kedji!!! I could get her twin!!! (If I lived anywhere near San Diego…. which I don’t… *sigh*)

24. Solzhenknitsyn says:

Well, maybe that statement wasn’t meant to be judgmental. Maybe it was a way of letting potential adopters know that she wasn’t given up for ripping a toddler’s nose off. :)

25. Maybe “for no other reason than” is meant as a way of saying this is a great pup – nothing wrong – owner surrendered only due to couldn’t care for. Just my interpretation.

26. You could be right. Maybe I’m overreacting here.

When I encounter this sentiment elsewhere, however, it always seems to be followed by a “those owners should be taken out back and shot” kind of attitude. Even to the point of people insisting that moving to a nursing home that doesn’t allow pets isn’t a valid reason to surrender an animal. Or that the elderly people’s families should be *forced* to take the animal instead. (Some people don’t seem to understand that there are some allergies that you can’t just “take a Benedryl and get over.”)

27. Fird Birfle says:

?

Signed,
    Semi-clueless.

28. Fird Birfle says:

very apt description.

29. Yep, sadly that’s true sometimes.
    And you know how the internets are – if it’s poorly worded it leads to misconceptions, for better or worse.

30. I do that all the time here. hee.

31. You know what’s just out of the picture, to the south, doncha? Puppeh Belleh!

32. Aren’t c*nd*ms used to prevent misconceptions?

33. That is a large snout to rest of head ratio! Cutest nose ever!

34. My little knucklehead, Zacky, was surrendered to a shelter because his family ran into financial problems and had to move someplace where dogs weren’t allowed. At first I was bitterly angry toward them, until I realized they’d done EXACTLY the right thing by bringing him to the shelter where he’d be well cared for until just the right new mommy or daddy came along. Now I’m eternally grateful that they left him in a place where I could find him and make him my own sweet little boy.

Bad stuff happens to people and sometimes they have to make difficult choices.

Having said all that… this little guy is just insanely adorable!! ♥♥♥

35. I don’t think I could handle seeing that floofy belleh right now. I’m going to be almost useless all day as it is.

36. WendyLady says:

I feel a belly zerbert coming on. Must snorgle that belleh! :D

37. El Stud Hombre says:

Our poocheroo, Addie, was also a rescue though simply from our local Humane Society, not an on-line advocacy site or anything like that. The surrender info we had on her also indicated that the motivation was purely monetary. I’ve always felt that these statements — i.e. previous owner couldn’t afford, or simply “couldn’t care for” the pet — are meant to combat any perceptions that the pet was surrendered for reasons that are particular to the pet — and therefore would be problems for the new owners as well, i.e. aggressive toward people/children, destructive (chewing or etc.), couldn’t be house-trained, etc. I’ve never perceived it as passing judgement on the previous owners, myself.

38. mindadale says:

Well said, Rachael!

39. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Indeed. If not for owner surrender (unwanted litter), we wouldn’t have our Rocky-dawg. Some pets really do end up where they need to be. Sadly, not nearly enough.

This dawg is adorable. I wish they all could be happy, healthy, homed, and loved.

40. @yethica, I have a dog that looks almost identical to this one too!! His name is prince. We were lucky enough to find him in a shelter. They think he’s a chow/golden retriever mix. What is yours?

41. KittyMarthaPoo says:

The sweet pup in the picture does indeed look like he is Chow – Golden Retriever mixed. So would his proper name be a “Golden ReCHOWver?”

I do hope he has been adopted & wish we could know for sure!

42. Hey peeps at cute overload❕ I have some really cute pictures that maybe you could use but I don’t know if I can actually do that. So, can you answer back somehow maybe❔
    P.S. I LOVE cute overload, I have the calendar and almost die from cuteness every time looking at that and this website!!!!
    P.P.S when I am older I am planning to work as a cute overload person❕ 🐸🐨🐻🐷🐶🐱🐹🐭🐵🐤🐒🐴🐦🐘🐑