It’s possible—possums can indeed be cute

Whether possums are cute or not has been a raging debate at C.O. for years. Scientific Polls have shown that indeed they can be cute, if the lighting is right and teeth gnashing is kept to a minimum. Lil’ possum named Ratatouille is more proof on the pro-possum side. Check the shredding action:

Comments

1. rescue gal says:

Possum is cute, but the Muppets song used on this video makes it ALL THE WIN!

2. Adorbs! Love the sweateauw. :)

3. Mahna-Mahna instantly improves anything, much like Yakkity Sax.

4. AlbertaGirl says:

Don’t you mean it’s “possumble”? ;)

5. Awesome! I agree that the song is an excellent choice. I also love the fact that on some of the runs Ratatouille was wearing some sort of pass/ID badge with his photo on it. Too cute!

Doo doo de doo doo

6. It was a lift card! ROTFL

7. The song seems a natural choice. Did you see the way that little dude yawned? The way his head hinged open convinced me that possums ARE muppets. Love the crow-footed back legs as he’s walking away at the end. That was funny.

8. Proof that even opossums need to kick back and relax.

9. My colleagues at work one day were in a giddy mood and kept phoning other friends in our building and just saying “Mahna-Mahna” when the phone was picked up ;-)

10. A ‘possum on the bunneh run ? I know there should be some disapproval there somewhere but I’ll be darned if I can find it !

11. kibblenibble says:

How….what in the…how…? Never mind. Definitely cute, though.

12. With his picture on it. :lol:

13. His yawn is a perfect diamond!

They should post him at the top of difficult trails, mahna mahna!

14. Caroleypants says:

Do my eyes deceive me or has the possum had a pawdicure? I didn’t think possums had bright orange claws but I’ve never actually met one so I may be wrong. And the lift pass, it’s all just too much !

15. skippymom says:

Opossums ARE cute. They have ALWAYS been cute. I would gladly kiss one on the mouth.

16. skippymom says:

OK, I’ll reveal my ignorance. What is Mahna-Mahna?

17. Great colors, especially for an opossum. :D

18. Oh, Skippymom!

19. I went to a concert last night and before it started some girl ahead of me was showing this to her friend on her iphone and I immediately knew I had to find it. Guess I came to the right place!

20. I’ve been on the “opossums are cute team” since the beginning and this little guy in his fancy sweater is just the cutest of them all.

21. Martha in Washington says:

I wanna go ski there! Oh wait…I don’t ski.

I wanna go watch the possum ski there! Yeah…that’s what I meant to say.

Team Possums-Are-Cute!

22. Martha in Washington says:

This is a good day to begin with but this just makes it STELLAR! Thanks Theresa!

@skippymom–Now you can say your life is complete!

23. our florida “rollo”, “pudgybuns”, lazylugs” “skittergoose” and “li’packyderm” (to name a few), would climb the trees early early mornings for mango and avocado snax.

a baby wandered in thru inky’s catdoor, for a munch at his food bowl, inky yawned “what? he’s sooo kewt, right?” we’re lifelong members of team cutepawsums

hooray for these gentle critters, this li’l sweetie on himz boogieboard, and a big mahn na mahn naaa….booot booo de booo booo

24. skippymom says:

I watched this but couldn’t play the sound, so I then used my mad research skills to look up the lyrics. I’m suspecting the song loses some of its impact when you are not actually hearing it….

25. skippymom says:

When an opossum shows up under our birdfeeder at night, I call the cats to look out at it and ask them, “What is that? Is it a kitty?”. I think they think I must be stupid if I can’t tell that isn’t a kitty.

26. How is this even possible? Possums tend to hibernate in cold weather… they’re nocturnal… they… they… Oh hell, who cares. Possum on snowboard!! In a sweateau!!!

27. Yes, hearing it is really needed.

28. Some of us remember when the original song came out (dinosaurs still ruled the earth, then) and it was a hit before the Muppets came on the scene

29. 260Oakley says:

Snowpossum

30. Although I do think that a pair of pink horned snouted eyelashed critters with a hairy, bespectacled jazzy type have their own charm.

31. I think you could put a sweateauw on a (Star Trek) Horta, and it would, by definition, be cute thenceforth! But this pinky-face was already cute, so the green stripes just put it over the top. And I think their claws ARE orangey. But THIS ‘possum might well have been to the resort spa for a mani-pedi before this awesome shoot!

32. skippymom says:

Yes, those guys are near the top of the Totally Awesome list.

33. I didn’t know either, skippymom.

34. The Original Jane says:

Yup, thanks for mentioning it so I’m not the only one.

35. The Original Jane says:

Looked bright pink on my monitor, matched his nose. A bit off-putting.

36. The Season Pass lift card is outstanding! :D

37. I am dying to hear the story behind this–how did they discover that Ratatouille liked to snowboard?! So hilarious.

38. I always loved their fancy blue eye shadow.

39. Is it a CO rule that when you put a tiny sweater on an animal it is cute? Penguins, a nice wrapped tiny sloth and now a possum! Soooo cute!

40. Fird Birfle says:

@ Theresa: Agreed.

41. Fird Birfle says:

*appreciative snerk*

42. Fird Birfle says:

sk’mom:
    S’okay. As long as you continue to operate the can-opener, with your opposable thumbs, they (les chats) will continue to allow you to stay at their house.

43. Fird Birfle says:

*faints in combination outrage and disbelief*

44. Mary (the first) says:

“PAIN!!”

45. Fish in bifocals, possums in sweaters, and cats playing with monkeys… I just don’t know. I really don’t.

46. Oh why, Firdie? Why? *firing up the defibramajig*

47. “I’m a doctor, Jim, not a bricklayer!”

48. We truly need a Knitted tag.

49. And his name… “Ratatouille Bowers” :D Video in 1080p yields some nice images of the badge.

50. Lerrinus says:

I second that emotion! :-P

51. Lerrinus says:

Niiice! :-)

52. Nikki, you mean you DON’T give your backyard animals snowboards to play with in winter?!!!

53. No more than thirty minutes ago I heard a noise on the porch. I looked out the window and there was a possum. Now here is another possum, but I still don’t think they’re cute.

54. Likewise thanks Angel….I do too.

55. marthava says:

I am trying to force myself into thinking that NOW possums are cute.

56. the other jen says:

wow this is really surprising. i thought possums surfboarded only at night.

i’m of the belief that possums are very cute. that goes for both those who do and do not wear sweateauws.

57. *snort* Ain’t that the truth!

58. “I’m a doctor, not a doorstop.”

59. Dawnieangel76 says:

A snowboarding possum, with a (possible) mani-pedi, in a sweater.

Okay, I’m convinced; you can officially find ANYTHING on the internet!

60. Or “opossible”?

61. I’m a doctor, not a pizza oven.

62. I squeed at his little lift pass!

63. Kallisto73 says:

I wonder how he brakes. I mean, stops, or whatever you call it when you decelerate your snowboard to come to halt.

64. He plays possum.

65. I concur. To those who think they are cute, please come to my house and take away with you the possum that hisses and snarls at the dog (whom I have to keep on a leash in her own yard because of it — not fair!) and me. We have no hill or I would gladly put it on a snowboard and send it on a downhill adventure. I can see glimmers of physical attractiveness in some of them, but personality wise, no. Anyone who snarls at my corgi is not cute. Beauty is only skin deep, but nasty goes clear to the bone.

66. warrior rabbit says:

Italian soft-core pr0n… is where the sog is from. No, really.

67. Fird Birfle says:

*raises fist in the air in community with Scout C. and (her?) corgi*

68. cellarmouse says:

i just kept thinkin’ he needs some li’l bootees…toes is froze…

69. I’m a doctor, not an elevator!

70. The night a possum came in the cat door was the night the cat door got nailed shut for good.

71. yes and yes

72. Thank you, Fird Birfle. Sophie and I (yes, her mama) appreciate your support. Now get over here with an opossum containment and transportation device—STAT!

73. Hamstarpwr says:

well why not! i love that possum toushy is so adorable. He also gave that guy a look that screamed “sheesh, it’s like they’ve never seen a snowboarder before!!”

74. Fird Birfle says:

How ’bout this, Scout C.??

75. Fird Birfle says:

*snerks at the entire Dr. McCoy meme*

76. Wow. Just wow. Things your mother never told you……

77. CAKE’s cover of Mahna Mahna really seals the deal.

78. plus, it’s a cover, performed by CAKE. triple-win!

79. HE NEEDS A TAIL SWEATER TOO.

80. Liberty is not to far from where I live in Maryland, and let me tell you: If that Possum can ski on that icy slush, he can ski anywhere!

81. B. Modern says:

Yes! Tail cozy for Ratatouille!