Today is International Polar Bear Day

From Pole to Pole, Feb. 27 is the day to celebrate the great white bear.

So be sure to greet every polar bear you meet today with a big high five, OK? And did you know, according to many well-informed myths, all polar bears are left-handed. Other sources are convinced they are right. So pay attention to the paw and help resolve this important debate. After all, we know you care how many are left. Ferdinand S., Mama Ursus Maritimus and junior, Tiergarten Schonbrunn, Vienna.

Comments

1. Looks like a snowball cleaved off of an iceberg…..

2. Wow, mama’s paw is just about as big as baby’s head!

3. Awww, sleepy baby protected by mama! So sweet!

4. Fird Birfle says:

lovin’ how the bebbeh polar bearcub is *approx* the size of *one*
    of Big Mama’s paws……

5. Sleppy fuzzball?

6. From Paw-tuck-it, RI.

7. trying to high-five polar bear
    screaming after arm is ripped off

8. Fird Birfle says:

“OUCH”
    “that HAD tuh hurt!!! ” 8-O

9. Fird Birfle says:

verr’ verr’ nice, Mme 260 :)

From
    The Peanut Gallery

10. I would risk it.

11. So was it left or right handed?

12. (blood spurting from shoulder)
    It’s just a flesh wound!

13. Speaking of “from pole to pole”: saddest polar bear I ever saw lives literally halfway (in the Singapore Zoo) – as far away as he can be from a place he’d be comfortable in :(

14. I stand with polar bears today and always. It’s one of my dreams to make this world a better place for them to exist and thrive. How to do that remains to be seen. President Obama, please help.

15. Left. And I was trying to high-five it with my right hand, which I think is what offended it.

16. Seconded by the Cashew Gallery!

17. did you watch the elbow?

18. sunnylessmum says:

Could not agree more with everything you wrote Marie, thank you!!

19. emmberrann says:

And no one made mention of young Mr. Siku here? Siku darling, it’s Your day, and I’m celebrating you, you cute li’l Polar Bearlet!

20. Come back and take what’s coming to ya! I’ll bite your legs off!

21. Does he at least have a nice pool of cold water to swim in?

22. I knew there was a reason I love polar bears so much, lefties rule! ;D

23. Big white teddy bears, got to love them.

24. From a sign at the Inupiat Heritage Center in Barrow, Alaska, on the tradition of polar bear hunting: “Polar bears are known to strike with their left paws, so hunters approach them from the right side.”

25. He does have a nice habitat… Still, it’s awkward

26. Of course we do! We’re the only ones in our right minds! :lol:

(ducking & running)

27. Fird Birfle says:

*giggling*

28. Took ya long enough, Fird! You know that was meant for you.

29. dogsleder says:

Not sure if “From Pole to Pole” means from North Pole to South Pole or not, but, just for the record, polar bears are only found in the Northern Hemisphere.