THIS JUST IN: A Hummingbird Honk-shu-ing

People, someone over at Disney got a hold of this bummingherd and added SNORE SOUNDS!

Extra special thanks to Janet K. who spotted this one.

Comments

1. The Original Jane says:

OH

MY

FREAKIN’

GOODNESS!

This one cannot be topped! This is the most adorable post EVER on this site!

2. OHMISTINKIN’ GOSH!!! 8O

3. How can he sleep through that racket!!!???

4. How on Earth?!?! Did that sweet baby sleep through the racket or with that camera light blinding him?! Did that person find this baby?!

Original Jane and Theresa said it best…Oh my freakin, stinkin goodness gosh! This IS the cutest thing I’ve seen on here, at least in quite a while. : )

5. Hummingbirds go torpid at night, like hibernating– their breathing and heartbeat slow way down. Their metabolic rate is so high that it’s the only way they can get through the night without eating or starving.

6. Alice Shortcake says:

My life is now complete, and the internet is no longer necessary.

7. Uh oh! I had the sound turned up to hear the snores but now every dog in my neighborhood is outside my window going “baroo?”
    Ha! I wanna hear Mariah Carey hit THAT note !

8. As if it’s not cute enough, the hummingbird’s tongue is clearly sticking out past the end of the beak. HUMMINGBIRD. TONGUE. PEOPLE.

9. So beautiful creatures make beautiful snoring sounds too. It’s so soothing!

10. sueeee….um, i mean, cheeeeeeep! OMG! I WANT IT!!!!

11. My husband showed me this the other day and I about died from teh cuteness!!

12. the other jen says:

dreaming of nectar. pure nectar. rivers of nectar. fields of nectar. hectares of nectares…..zzzzzzzz

13. Tiniest honk-shu ever!

14. This caused my kittehs to sit bolt upright and swivel their ears quite vigorously.

15. Good gravy Marie! Alice Shortcake has summed up my reaction perfectly.

16. yurp. it’s lolling. lolling hummingbird tongue.

17. Hectares of nectares… *golf clap*

18. Lol mine too!!!

19. Mary (the first) says:

This is wonderful. But what is it he’s sitting in? A .. vase or something? And what’s that noise? I want answers! (Mostly so I can build my own hummingbird bed and hope to attract a snoring bird like this one!)

20. This was also posted in Neatorama with the following text:
    Well, how did you expect a snoring hummingbird to sound? This female Amethyst-throated Sunangel (Heliangelus amethysticollis) at a research facility in Peru is sleeping inside a device that measures its oxygen use. The machine is probably not really all that loud, but the sound was cranked up so we could hear the snoring. -via The Daily What

21. Avenge me, for the cute has killed me.

For the honor of the cute! I fade into an ethereal cloud of glitter….

Byeeeeeeeee…

*dead*

22. I’ve worked as a wildlife rehabilitator for many years, and this hummingbird is not sleeping – this is a sound hummingbirds make when in distress. Notice how the bird is fluffed, with the tongue sticking out – not normal behavior at all for a hummingbird.

23. Hey!!! I sent this video in yesterday…man, I wanted my name on Cute Overload. :[

That being said, snoring animals cannot be beaten.

24. LisaLassie says:

Nan, just who, having seen and heard the vid, do you think is left either strong enough or alive enough to avenge you? Eh?

25. *from the grave(?)*

Oh. Good question.

Leave a nooooooooote….

26. I’ll take 70! Just arrange them tastefully around my kitchen, please. Perhaps put a couple in the sugar bowl. I’m sure they’ll be comfortable.

27. i literally just had the same emotional response

28. THAT IS NOT REAL! IT IS NOT REAL!

29. I didn’t know that, but I always wondered. Thanks!

30. now I’m sad. It’s a research bird……..

31. I can’t even hear the snorings. :(

32. Oh my god, oh my god!!!

33. This is my video. The sound is not turned up at all. The video is completely unedited from how I took it on my point and shoot camera. The sound in the background is the hum of the machines, its not nearly as loud as the camera makes it sound, for whatever reason the camera picked it up and made it sound much louder. the description on the video explains pretty much everyhting.

34. Puff up, puff up, they hate that.

Poor little distressed research hummingbird. All that noise would distress me too!

35. so what’s the buzz on this little guy?

36. I hate to nuff, but that is a stressed out and scared hummingbird, not a sleepy one… Like a previous person said, they sleep like the dead.

37. thanks, Tim!

38. This is sad, he should be free

39. *She* was released after observation, if the original YouTube commentary is correct (read it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj5huCuhD_Q).

40. Where’s the bird? All I see is a pair of squeaky chopsticks stuck in a ball of green fluff.

41. Awesome!!! Thanks for the peek into his/her little sleeping world. :o

42. Deborah Kogan says:

I am thinking that it has respiratory problems, and that is a wheeze… I agree that its puffiness is because it is ill… Sorry folks, this is not snoring…..

43. Thanks for posting this, Tim. I wasn’t aware that hummingbirds made any sound at all much less adorable peeps as they slept. The world needed to know this! Also, I’m sure all the other research you’re doing is awesome, too. If not as cute. ^_^

44. This bird lives at 3000 meters in elevation. It gets very cold at night. It puffs up to help stay warm. This is normal behavior during the cold nights in the high peruvian andes. If you read the video description you would see that I acknowledged that this is not actually snoring. Why, exactly, the bird was making this sound, is pure speculation by anyone at this point. It only made this sound for a few minutes. The bird showed no sign of sickness when it was caught, during the experiment, or when it was released and it flew away.

45. The Original Jane says:

Thank you for the reply Tim. I’d hate to think it was in distress or sick. Maybe eventually with your research you will figure out why it was making that sound.

Since you get to work with them so closely – do they show fear or rather a “tough” attitude when you’re dealing with them? The ones we have at our feeders are always full of attitude and extremely territorial. (Pacific Northwest – Anna’s and Rufus) Do you notice different personalities or are they kept for such a short time that you don’t get much chance to observe things like that?

Thanks! :)

46. The Original Jane says:

If you read Tim’s reply above they are only kept briefly and then released. I think they mean research as in “observe” not as in performing experiments on them.

This is done a lot with many bird and animal species to learn more and eventually help them – especially if a species is losing numbers or changing behavior. Catch and release – sometimes tagged.

47. The Original Jane says:

I wish people who are posting now would read the replies from Tim (who took the video) to several posts above. This could easily turn into a “research bashing” thread and that is not what is going on.

We live in the Pacific Northwest and have hummies at our feeder daily. There is always a “alpha” one who claims the area as his and vigorously defends against interlopers.

When it gets really cold they do fluff up to keep warm – as do most birds. It is not always a sign of illness or distress.

The other points (loud noise, being free, etc.) are answered in Tim’s posts.

48. I wasn’t working with hummingbirds in particular, I was working with all types of passerines, but we did catch a lot of hummingbirds. They are definitely really bold and aggressive when flying around, defending territories, feeding, etc. When we catch them they act pretty much the same way as most other birds, as in not particularly happy to be in captivity. Many of the hummingbirds did drink sugar water when we offered it to them, as they need to eat quite often. We held birds for a few hours and the hummingbirds were the only ones I noticed to legitimately go to sleep.

49. Oh sheesh, now I’ve really puked up rainbows. Damn it – you know how hard this stuff is to clean off beige carpeting?!

50. Thanks again, Tim. The nuf fers were sucking all the oxygen out of this thread. We appreciate your instructive posting and amazing video.
    I love the sounds that hummingbirds make, having grown up dodging A. colubris which are baritones, but this is a new one to me.
    Science!

51. The Original Jane says:

Thanks for the reply. We get the National Wildlife and Birds and Blooms magazines and love the articles on hummingbirds. There are numerous stories of birds being calm when rescued (from being stuck in a screen or in a room, given sugar water when they are exhausted and have fallen on the ground, etc.) like some of them know they are being helped – if only for a little while they are accepting of us humans.

At least your hummies were relaxed enough to go to sleep. Probably figured they were stuck anyway, might as well take advantage of the chance to rest. Those little guys never slow down. Always vigilant defending their territory. I always thought if they weren’t so tiny and gorgeous, as big birds we would probably consider them annoying bullies.

We always chase the scrub jays away for that very reason – they are the backyard bullies that screech and chase every other bird away from the yard. I’ve never seen a real blue jay or stellar jay – just the annoying scrub jays.

Our hummies chatter at us non stop if they are irritated we walked outside. Otherwise they just ignore us. At least they don’t chase the other birds away – just other hummies.

52. Deborah Kogan says:

Thank you for your response. I’m glad that it was o.k.!

53. It’s a regulated form of hibernation.