THIS JUST IN: Minimeleon Lights Up Reptile World

According to Discover Magazine: “This irascible-looking little guy was recently discovered by biologists on the small island of Nosy Hara, in northern Madagascar. Members of this newly discovered species are on average an inch long from snout to tail tip, a remarkably tiny size that puts them among the world’s smallest reptiles.”

Mini McGoogliesons!

We’re wondering when it will be available in the doll size, Anuja S., (The Original) Mel, spudart, and everyone who sent this in!

1. And he’s smiling!

2. Can we call “matchings”?

3. HAW!!

4. How did they not step on him, he’s so teeny!

5. note to self: when in Madagascar, watch step…

6. Fird Birfle says:

@ Tracylee :)

7. I understand that their habitat is in danger — but that it is a very “small range area” probably roughly the size of the average houseplant judging by the size of him.

8. The Original Jane says:

A small island named “Nosy Hara” – of course he’d live at an interesting address.

9. *snerk*

10. Fird Birfle says:

*golf clap*

11. Nosy O’Hara? Wasn’t he a character in “Guys and Dolls”?

12. emmberrann says:

If the adults are that teensy-itsy-bitsy, imagine the bebehs!

13. Oh great, that hadn’t occurred to me — now I have to go and put my ‘sploded head back together! ;)

14. Allow me to recommend the Hello Kitty Duct Tape. It really works! :)

15. Alice Shortcake says:

If the adults are an inch long and that’s a normal-size match, I think this IS a young ‘un.

16. He’s adorable, but he does NOT look amused…..

17. That’s a pretty potent package of mini-disapproval, that is!

18. The phrase “bad-a$$” came to mind!

19. He looks disgruntled. “Peoples! Always picking me and cooing. Makes me sick! Hmmph!” If he could cross his little arms….

20. Kari Callin says:

Who said lizards aren’t hot?! ;)

21. And this one’s just reunited with an old flame.

22. Wow.

As an old friend used to say:

“You do know there’s people around, right? Real, actual people who heard that come out your mouth.”

23. You want to know how small it is? The name of the biologist who discovered it was Horton.

24. Win!!

25. Who?

26. Fird Birfle says:

27. “…recently discovered…”- what an epic game of hide and seek!

28. I think Nosy Hara is in the same chain of islands as Nosy Nelly and Nosy Parker.

29. Oh. My. Word. The eye! The eye! It looks . . . HUMAN!

30. Human, if we had eyes on turrets. *shifty eyes*

31. How many tiny chameleons can dance on the head of a pin?

32. I more appreciate the pic of “his” disapproving face. Gives the buns a run for their money!

33. Imagine swarms of those little things hanging out … I’m aware they wouldn’t actually do that, but imagine it ;)

34. Little mini, rotating eye sockets and mini clampy feetsies!

35. And tiniest projectile tongue ever!

36. Just so you all know. basically EVERYTHING that grows or lives in Madagascar is endangered. It’s the sad truth, but the rainforest is rapidly cut down and turned in to fast money

37. omg preshe!!

38. My cats have now requested one or two for next Christmas…

39. Fird Birfle says:

as friends, of course???

40. What else? They’re too darn small for snacking . . . . .

41. The Original Jane says:

Yeah, name’s Rango. Yeah, I’ve killed me a few bad guys. Hey, where’d my cowboy hat go?

42. (The Original) Mel says:

I sent this in too!

43. Thanks (The Original) Mel! Looks like there were multiple submissions. Adding your name to the credits now. We appreciate you!

44. smallthunder says:

Pure genius!

45. The conspiracy theorist in me says this is just a cover story for what was really the discovery of a new giant species of match.

46. Ray, I like how your mind works! *snerk*

47. Fird Birfle says:

48. Does cuteoverload give credit to people who submit stuff? Because I submitted this one week ago on February 16th.

49. Thanks, spudart! Adding your name to the credits now. We credited Anuja S., who maybe submitted it first.

50. That is one tiny lizard.

51. Can’t believe it’s so tiny! So cute!

52. Hovertext, guys, DON’T MEESS EET, eet ees heelarious!!! I MEAN IT.

53. bob drummond says:

I’ll take a dozen to go go . What do these guys eat anyway ? They’re so tineeeeee!!