THIS JUST IN: Minimeleon Lights Up Reptile World

According to Discover Magazine: “This irascible-looking little guy was recently discovered by biologists on the small island of Nosy Hara, in northern Madagascar. Members of this newly discovered species are on average an inch long from snout to tail tip, a remarkably tiny size that puts them among the world’s smallest reptiles.”

Mini McGoogliesons!

We’re wondering when it will be available in the doll size, Anuja S., (The Original) Mel, spudart, and everyone who sent this in!

Comments

1. And he’s smiling!

2. How did they not step on him, he’s so teeny!

3. note to self: when in Madagascar, watch step…

4. The Original Jane says:

A small island named “Nosy Hara” – of course he’d live at an interesting address.

5. emmberrann says:

If the adults are that teensy-itsy-bitsy, imagine the bebehs!

6. He’s adorable, but he does NOT look amused…..

7. Oh great, that hadn’t occurred to me — now I have to go and put my ‘sploded head back together! ;)

8. *snerk*

9. Kari Callin says:

Who said lizards aren’t hot?! ;)

10. I understand that their habitat is in danger — but that it is a very “small range area” probably roughly the size of the average houseplant judging by the size of him.

11. You want to know how small it is? The name of the biologist who discovered it was Horton.

12. “…recently discovered…”- what an epic game of hide and seek!

13. Allow me to recommend the Hello Kitty Duct Tape. It really works! :)

14. That’s a pretty potent package of mini-disapproval, that is!

15. Win!!

16. And this one’s just reunited with an old flame.

17. I think Nosy Hara is in the same chain of islands as Nosy Nelly and Nosy Parker.

18. Oh. My. Word. The eye! The eye! It looks . . . HUMAN!

19. How many tiny chameleons can dance on the head of a pin?

20. I more appreciate the pic of “his” disapproving face. Gives the buns a run for their money!

21. Imagine swarms of those little things hanging out … I’m aware they wouldn’t actually do that, but imagine it ;)

22. Little mini, rotating eye sockets and mini clampy feetsies!

23. The phrase “bad-a$$” came to mind!

24. Just so you all know. basically EVERYTHING that grows or lives in Madagascar is endangered. It’s the sad truth, but the rainforest is rapidly cut down and turned in to fast money

25. omg preshe!!

26. My cats have now requested one or two for next Christmas…

27. Wow.

As an old friend used to say:

“You do know there’s people around, right? Real, actual people who heard that come out your mouth.”

Impressive.

28. The Original Jane says:

Yeah, name’s Rango. Yeah, I’ve killed me a few bad guys. Hey, where’d my cowboy hat go?

29. And tiniest projectile tongue ever!

30. (The Original) Mel says:

I sent this in too!

31. smallthunder says:

Hovertext!

Pure genius!

32. Can we call “matchings”?

33. HAW!!

34. Alice Shortcake says:

If the adults are an inch long and that’s a normal-size match, I think this IS a young ‘un.

35. The conspiracy theorist in me says this is just a cover story for what was really the discovery of a new giant species of match.

36. Fird Birfle says:

@ Tracylee :)

37. Fird Birfle says:

*golf clap*

38. Fird Birfle says:

as friends, of course???

39. Fird Birfle says:

*giggle*

40. Ray, I like how your mind works! *snerk*

41. Does cuteoverload give credit to people who submit stuff? Because I submitted this one week ago on February 16th.

42. That is one tiny lizard.

43. Can’t believe it’s so tiny! So cute!

44. Thanks, spudart! Adding your name to the credits now. We credited Anuja S., who maybe submitted it first.

45. Thanks (The Original) Mel! Looks like there were multiple submissions. Adding your name to the credits now. We appreciate you!

46. Nosy O’Hara? Wasn’t he a character in “Guys and Dolls”?

47. Who?

48. Human, if we had eyes on turrets. *shifty eyes*

49. Hovertext, guys, DON’T MEESS EET, eet ees heelarious!!! I MEAN IT.

50. Fird Birfle says:

*giggles*

51. He looks disgruntled. “Peoples! Always picking me and cooing. Makes me sick! Hmmph!” If he could cross his little arms….

52. What else? They’re too darn small for snacking . . . . .

53. bob drummond says:

I’ll take a dozen to go go . What do these guys eat anyway ? They’re so tineeeeee!!