Definition Snout: A prolongation of the head.

That’s what I’ve got! G’day, mate, I’m a echidna or spiny anteater, if you prefer. I don’t mean to big note oneself, but I have spiny spines, grow a pouch, lay eggs AND nurse my young…

I live in Australia where I dig in anthills and termite hills and bog in bities with my long sticky tongue, housed in my enormous snout. Well, that’s all from down under for now, have a bonza day!

World traveler, Martin M., thinks marsupials are cute! Also, thanks Merriam-Webster for the great def.

1. S’TRUTH! 8O

2. PS: Echidnas are monotremes, not marsupials. :D

3. … but they are absolutely freaking, stinking cute, nonetheless :)

4. Fird Birfle says:

them’s some mighty fine adverbs ye’re totin’ they-uh, ma’am :)

5. Quite right, Theresa – I was going to say so myself. Not to be pedantic, but nevertheless…they are quite an odd class of mammals. And of course so cute!

“Monotreme” sounds like it describes an ordinary experience, as opposed to “Extreme.” :-D

6. bob drummond says:

AN EXTREME MONOTREME !!!!!yuk yuk yuk !!
    Just like the platypus, its nearest relative , in fact its only relative !

7. arachnophile says:

I’m so glad someone said it first so I wouldn’t be the classification wonk this time around. ;) The platypus would be lonely if we didn’t say something. :D

MONOTREMES ARE EXTREME! Am I the only one who really wants a Weebl song about monotremes along the lines of the famous Badger, Badger, Badger or ?

You just know it would be epic. ;)

8. thats exactly what i was thinking. i like that the babies are called puggles like platypuses.

Everytime i see an echindana i wanna pat it but i know i cant.

9. Actually, it’s the other way around: Puggle strictly means a baby echidna, but people started calling baby platypuses puggles as well because there is no official term for a baby platypus. “Platypup” has been suggested…

10. Fird Birfle says:

Well I surely am down with that choice.

Anybody see any reason to object??

11. Guinea Peeg Lover says:

IT’S SO SILKY!!!

12. you know what they say…big quills, big snout…big echidna

13. :lol:

14. Mary (the first) says:

Not to get picky but I wouldn’t call that “cute”, exactly. But certainly interesting. And I do envy her the eyelashes!!

15. Now, Mary, I think we’ve been over this before… Cute is in they eye of the beholder… Yes? ;)

16. bob drummond says:

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!, SI, DAH, JA , HAI , OUI ,etc………..

17. Is there a rule about if you’re too dangerous to touch or hold but cause someone to want to touch or hold you despite the danger because you’re too darned cute?

18. uh, run that by me again….??

19. Fird Birfle says:

is that similar to phrases such as “Jumbo Shrimp”??? ;)

20. bob drummond says:

Admire it but keep yer nitts offa the thing , get the point now ?

21. good idea

22. Alice Shortcake says:

I think we’re all agreed that spines can be cute. But the question is – can he talk?

23. This is one mammal that looks decidedly cuter in adulthood. Puggles (baby echidnas) are ugly.

24. Oh, I disagree. Puggles look like the world’s most adorable raw chicken breasts. ;-)

25. Fird Birfle says:

26. Echidnas seriously are weird! Also their hind feet are on backwards and they secret milk from their skin. o.O Not to mention their bizarre reproductive organs…

27. earlybird1 says:

I don’t know why but he reminds me of a certain bear. I shall call him Paddington. Elevenses, anyone?

28. Yes, yes he does. And yes, yes I will. Thankyouverymuch.

29. earlybird1 says:
  30. earlybird1 says:

*hangs head in shame* Earlybird not good at the internets.

31. Their babies are called puggles! PUGGLES! *falls over ded*

32. That’s right sport, s’actly how we speak in ‘Straylya!

33. bob drummond says:

Blimey, Mate ! You’re from Down Under ?

34. Flat out like a lizard drinking.

35. ‘Sipt for for the rising intonation? Et the ind of the sintinces?

36. Owyagoin luv? Yeah that’s right, and a way of speaking in the back of the throat, with the lips barely moving, rather like a ventriloquist?

37. Fird Birfle says:

Wot’s a sintince??

Not an actual Qwerstyun.
    Jist funnin’ wittya.

38. And the snout. RIGHT into my heart <3 :D

39. I just love the rolly-polly way they walk!

40. They’re also the only mammals not to dream! Weird, eh?

41. Cholmondeley says:

According to whom, may I arsk?

42. Heh, I actually read that in Barbara Kingsolver’s novel Animal Dreams, where one character tells another that according to her fifth grade report on mammals, all tested mammals dream, except spiny anteaters.

Yeah, it’s a novel but Kingsolver has a scientific background and that’s the kind of detail she likes to throw in.

43. I shall take him home and call him…. wait for it… Cyrano!

44. Fird Birfle says:

*hand on chin*

Yes, I can see that ….

45. Could someone ‘splain to me why Australia ended up with the cutest creatures? Hmm? Roos, platys…..why is that?

46. Well, the Japanese can’t have a monopoly on cute!

47. Oz has the cutest animals because they had millions of years to develop their cuteness! Including the pygmy possum. And that echidna that hangs out at Cradle Mountain car park (which waddles up and sniffs your shoes!). Glad the Diprododon isn’t around any more, not to mention the marsupial lion!!!