No Species Is Immune…

to the spit bath.

It’s how Mom’s show their love and also, how they avoid being embarrassed by their filthy, filthy children.

Representative Jill L. says this little guy is the first Giraffe Baby of 2012 Born on Busch Gardens‘ Serengeti Plain.

Comments

1. I lOVE giraffe purple tongues! The Battle Creek MI zoo has a platform where you can feed the giraffes and it is SO cool! :)

2. Fird Birfle says:

ha ha “filthy, filthy children” :)
    YAY giraffes. They dress *SO* elegantly !!!

also —
    Mother and child reunion !!!

3. Fird Birfle says:

*immediately starts walking to Battle Creek Michigan, while
    looking up the address of the zoo*

4. Trabb's Boy says:

What is it about giraffes that make the interaction between mother and child so incredibly sweet and beautiful! I can’t think of any other species that demonstrates such tenderness.

Maybe it’s because it’s impossible for them to cuddle, with those long, bony legs, or to just rub heads, given the extreme height difference, so all affection has to be shown through lips and tongue.

5. I also think its the fluttery eyelashes and the serene expressions they carry at all times.

6. SlaveToCat says:

I’m so glad to have had a privileged childhood, where my mom always had moist towelettes in her pocketbook and didn’t have to use her tongue to clean my face.
    Yea for Giraffe Slurpies!!!

7. Giraffes are the supermodels of the animal kingdom.
    Tall, thin and with eyelashes to die for!

8. this picture lives at the top of my stairs

ya gotta walk the walk if you gonna talk the qte

9. Blue Footed Booby says:

I think it’s also that baby giraffes have such endearingly doofy faces. It’s like a dog whose tongue is perpetually flopping out the side of his mouth.

10. emmberrann says:

Also, this needs an “I shall leeck you!” tag.

11. I have this picture, too! It’s on my fridge, and I grin every time I see the goofy look on the baby ‘raffe’s face.

12. I love giraffes, but confess to being slightly disturbed by the colour of their tongues….

13. not to mention legs that go to there!

14. Did you wash behind your horns today?

15. The question needs to be asked: Crazy Pants, do you know about Theresa’s father?

16. My thought exactly!!! LOL

17. Martha in Washington says:

Slave–you don’t know what you missed! Also spit works wonders on cowlicks!

18. Alice Shortcake says:

I usually have exactly the same expression on my face when I look at myself in the mirror first thing in the morning – befuddled and barely conscious.

19. (The Original) Mel says:

Mmmm. Theese one tastes like caramel.

20. The SPIT BATH??!! My DAD is the KING of SPIT BATHS, as is well known in CO Lore. :D

21. I think it’s how gracefully/awkwardly they arch way, way over, to keess the behbeh’s tête.

22. @Fird Birfle, if San Diego is closer to you, walk there instead. They let you feed the giraffes at the Wild Animal park.

In the first picture, it looks like the baby is leaning into mommy’s tongue, eyes closed, enjoying the attention.

23. Crazy Pants says:

Shall we say this post is in his honor?

24. We’ve been waiting for your arrival, Theresa. :)

25. AMEN Martha ! Mom spit was the original pomade AND hair spray

26. I’m assuming those horns are actually hollow drinking straws, through which a sludgy brain can be sucked like a McDonalds strawberry milkshake

27. Umm…EEUUUUWWW?

28. They also have a feeding platform for the giraffes at the South Carolina Columbia Riverbanks Zoo! Sooo cool when those tongues reach out for the food.

29. Just me? Or does it look like baby is very much enjoying the spit bath in the first picture? Almost like he’s leaning into it….aaahhhhhh, that’s the spot mom.

30. sadly books another round of appointments with a therapist to deal with childhood scars. Snorgles with a kitty till the next appointment.

31. Seriously! It should be chocolate.

32. broccoli

33. :D

You look at that second picture again, and try and tell me that’s not *exactly* what’s going on.

34. So you’re saying mother giraffes are zombies who eat the brains of their own children? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

35. Cheers, Dad! :lol:

36. The Original Jane says:

Done this in Kenya. Their saliva is VERY VERY sticky. You can pull your hand away several inches after feeding one and a whole webbing of saliva is still attaching the two of you like Spiderman’s webbing. And yes, their tongues are purple and very long. (btw, LOVE giraffes!) :)

37. *gets Simon & Garfunkle earworm*

38. Fird Birfle says:

You’re welcome, victoreia :)

39. Fird Birfle says:

40. That exactly the way I read baby giraffe’s expression. It must feel nice. Sweet pictures.

41. Yay Theresa’s Dad!!! I immediately thought of you two when I saw this post. Now c’mere, Theresa, you’ve got a little schmutz on your cheek…

42. The ‘Purple’ health care plan!