Shall I Compare Thee To Valentine’s Day?

by William Shakespeare

…Thou art more lovely and more temperate.

Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer’s lease hath all too short a date.

Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimmed;

And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature’s changing course, untrimmed;

But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st,

Nor shall death brag thou wand’rest in his shade,
When in eternal lines to Time thou grow’st.

So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,

So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Bottom heart puppy from Michelle R. Piggy from here. All kitties from here. Cow from here. And, Chihuahua puppies from here! Special thanks to Sharpy for photo wrangling.

Comments

1. perfect!
    wonderful!!

2. All you need is love la la la la la la
    All you need is love la la la la la la
    All you need is love
    Love
    Love is all you need. :-)

3. I HEART THEM ALL!!!!!

4. Holy moly! Ded from teh love!

5. Fird Birfle says:

GIGI (et les Beatles) did the Thang I wuz gonna do :)

YAY hearts (‘les coeurs” en Outrageous Frawnsch ),
    YAY les animaux, YAY GIgi, YAY crazy pants & YAY les Beatles, :)

6. Fird Birfle says:

HAPPY HEARTS, PEEPS !!! ;)

7. it’s a valenagerie

8. emmberrann says:

How lovely, CP!! This is a “hearty” welcome from one of your new, dare I say, CO fans! Lurve the decorated animalees. And the literate labelling,

9. phred's mom says:

CP, you are one CLASS ACT!!!!!!!!!!

10. All of them are cute as bless and SO full of love for their hoomans!
    Anyhoo, check out my Snookie’s arm heart too, I’ve been meaning to share and now’s the best day, no?

11. I (heart) CuteOverload. :-)

Also want to add two more. 1) How you can tell your cat loves you and 2) Pug love.

12. LOVE!!!!

13. Waaay too cute! And we wanna see Muskrat Love!

14. Crazy Pants says:

Who knew urine could be so sweet!

Also, that pug is darling.

Thanks so much for sharing those.

15. OUTSTANDING!!!! Bravo!!! So excellent.

16. Alice Shortcake says:

I’ll wear my heart on my bum…

17. Best CO post eva!!! Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!

18. Beautiful poetry, lovely fur pals. Thanks Crazy Pants. You rock.

19. Yep :D

20. Oh :D I so want to snorge all the kitties and pet the calf and the piggie, and the puppies :D

21. bookmonstercats says:

Snorted my fairtrade organic chocolate drink all over the keyboard at the first hovertext.

Then DED from the tiny puppy.

THUD

22. bookmonstercats says:

In the mod lounge, scoffing Valentine’s chocolates…….

23. guhhhhhhhhh

24. My favourite is the kitty with the heart-ankle tattoo :)

25. Now I’m going to seach my cat from top to bottom to see if she has any hearts hidden on her fur…

26. Mary (the first) says:

Scoffing? Really? I’d be scarfing them, personally ..

27. I swoon to sonnet 18.

28. Happy Valentine’s Day! I love all heart photos :)

29. So sweet! My hooded rattie, Squeaker, has a heart on her belly. Very difficult to photograph, so I cannot share unfortunately, but I assure you, it’s there!

30. See, I knew I forgot to add something to my phone’s playlist this morning!

(le sigh) I loff The Beatles! :D

31. I see what you did there.

32. And I thought having a kitty with a question mark on his back was cool…..Now I’m going to be looking for kittens with hearts on all the time!

33. Please share with us a picture of your cat with a question mark on his back!

34. (Sonnet 130) by William Shakespeare

My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun;
    Coral is far more red than her lips’ red;
    If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
    If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
    I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
    But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
    And in some perfumes is there more delight
    Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
    I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
    That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
    I grant I never saw a goddess go;
    My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
    And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
    As any she belied with false compare.

35. Fird Birfle says:

wow, this Bill guy is all right.

He should maybe submit some manuscripts. He could maybe get published.

36. Fird Birfle says:

I second this request. Having a kitty with a question mark on his back *IS COOL*.

Also, victoreia — does this run in your family?
    Do YOU have a question mark on YOUR back? ;)

37. Fird Birfle says:

YAY for both Jennifer and for Squeaker !!

38. Fird Birfle says:

does that mean on your posterior?

or on your significant other who (might be) a bum?

*giggle*

39. Fird Birfle says:

“Blackbird, singing in the dead of night…..” (etc) :)

40. I don’t get no Snookie, I get the sign in page for Verizon Wireless.

41. I’ll have to see if I have a good one of him when he was an itty-bitty boy; it was much more obvious then. (He’s a BIG boy now, so it’s really a stretched out squiggle these days….)

@Fird, no, sadly I have no question mark on my back. (But I have what looks like a zipper running down the front of me. It’s a surgical scar, so I wouldn’t recommend getting one like it.)

42. *snerk*

43. Please tell me your kitty’s name is Riddler :lol:

44. “Rough winds do shake the darling *butts* of May”.

45. Actually, it’s Kyuri. He’s a very curious fur-ball, and with the question mark on his back, he practically named himself!

46. As requested, here’s a (not very helpful) picture of Kyuri and (part of) his question mark.

(I’ve completely forgotten how to link the image, so if it doesn’t do it automatically, the webshots album is “Kyuri & Ezri” in “victoreia”. If it does link, for hooray for WordPress!)

47. (I’ll have to check my desktop computer when I get home. It’s possible I have a better shot of his back; or my mother might have one……)

48. Fird Birfle says:

victoreia:

I don’t have a question mark anywhere on me. Nor do I have
    a zipper in / on the FRONT of me but I do have a loooooooooong
    one, kinda like yours, on the BACK of me.

Corrective surgery/ scoliosis/ Harrington Rod, Feb 1977 (supposedly that
    was 34/ 35 yrs ago. But I refuse to believe the math, just on principle alone).

49. I know exactly how you feel about that math, Fird! (I can’t believe I met my first Interdimensional Hubby that long ago! And he hasn’t aged much since, the rat! Although he did get a new lightsaber…..)

50. Must go home and examine Chloe Zoe Calico very carefully for any possible heart markings.

51. I scoff at all you people who get so excited by chocolate. I’d rather have broccoli.

52. JannieWolf says:

My friend has a calf that has a heart like that. Her name’s Coraz’on, which is Spanish for “heart”

53. Skippymom, while I also like broccoli, I must express this sentiment: Are you crazy?!?!?!? 8-O Chocolate is the most important food group of all!

That being said, I’ll take any dark chocolate you want to get rid of.

54. Am I crazy? Dear victoreia, how long have we known each other? Surely you already know the answer.
    That being said, I don’t dislike chocolate and in fact had a piece today. (Dark, yes.) But in my world, broccoli rules. I hope one day to turn into broccoli.

55. wannadance says:

and weep. a lot. because of the way cp arranged stuff. by the end was openly sobbing. love will set you free. i wanted to reach through the grill, snuggle him through and tuck him in my rack. anything to change that sadness.
    SOB

56. Skippymom,

You’re right, I misspoke. I meant “crazier”, of course.

If I were to turn into a vegetable some day, it would be the forbidden pre-pickled pickle.

57. 8O

58. This was supposed to go under Skippymom’s future life form comment.

59. No words…(the ded-from-the-qte can’t speak).

60. Fird Birfle says:

*delicate, suppressed burp, behind lace nappie*

61. Fird Birfle says:

and THIS was supposed to go under skippymom’s comment about dark chocolate & broccoli.

Shall we do a few rounds of the Broccoli Song,
    for Theresa’s (I think it’s her) nephew, now?? :)

62. Fird Birfle says:

YAY

63. But but but… 130 is a really pretty insult! I mean really, re-read it.

64. So let’s try this again:

Arm Heart 01: http://tinypic.com/r/efh36x/5
    Arm Heart 03: http://tinypic.com/r/1zqr3ix/5

And bonus nose heart! http://tinypic.com/r/i2mw6p/5

65. bookmonstercats says:

According to my trusty Chambers English (and it says on its cover that it is The Authorty on English Today, so it must be trusty), “scoff” (verb transitive, dialect informal) means (inter alia) to feed quickly or greedily. Which just about sums up how I eat, generally :-)

66. bookmonstercats says:

For those of us, Jess, who are considerably less than goddess-like in our form and features, it’s something of a comfort to know that sonnetts can be written to us that don’t lie outright (ok, maybe Bill should have admitted that this particular Dark Lady has at least one redeeming feature – an ode to her bad breath, for Heaven’s sake). ;)

67. I have a recording of Alan Rickman reading 130. Swoons me every time.

68. FIRD!!! I had my Harrington rods put in April 1977!!!! Omg, we are like distant twins!!!

69. I think of the broccoli song every time I feed my guinea piggeh broccoli. Never fails to make me chuckle. And since she makes me smile, it is always a good way to start the morning. :)

70. Fird Birfle says:

WOT THA’???? also, No Kidding????
    8-O

(Bethesda Naval Hosp, btw)

71. Fird Birfle says:

*taps any avail CO moderator on the shoulder*

(in mods since Tues, noon. ‘Tis Weds am now and I’m pretty sure that the Big Green Mod Machine doesn’t genuinely object to my mentioning this Beatles’ song title ….) hello?

Thank you for your wonderful moderationing.

72. That an ode could be penned on the qualities of black wire hair, and clumsy walking; I am all behind it!

73. Kalamazoo MI. But still… Do people ask you, when they first learn of the rods, if you set off metal detectors at the airport? ;)

74. Of course, now that I said black wire hair and clumsy walking, I am imagining a wirehair doxie puppy!

75. Oooh… you must share this glorious recording. I’d happily listen to Alan Rickman reading about tax law. Shakespeare will have me swooning.

76. Mmmmmmm, chocolate.

77. Wha…? did the word “chocolate” put my last comment into moderation?

78. Oh, OK – here we are!

79. i find it incredibly romantic as an ode to unconventional beauty, a cry to love that sees and accepts a woman as she really is, instead of comparing her to some fantasy idea, and loving her that much more deeply for it.

and, in my infinite nerdiness, i often recite parts of this poem to my Boston terrier Sadie (especially that part about the “breath that from my mistress reeks ;D ) whose beauty might be considered somewhat “unconventional.”

80. Fird Birfle says:

EVERY single person who isn’t a Medical Person asks about that.

81. WUAAAAAAAAAUGH! I have to have that puppy in the last photo!!! MUST ADOPT!

82. bookmonstercats says:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee…..

Alan Rickman……………… Reading sonnetts……………….

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee